HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:52 PM

they also just added the world's 5th fastest supercomputer to the site

https://news.utexas.edu/2019/06/19/u...-in-the-world/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:11 PM

Apparently there's some Pickle Campus Master Plan, dating to 2002. I'm having problems finding a real copy, just references to it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927...own/jjpickle/#

Edit: Okay, FWIW here's a reference saying that plan was never formally adopted anyway

" UT had a master plan made a few years ago and it was never adopted, it was really an exciting plan because it was a much more urban environment. "

http://northburnetgateway.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:45 PM

All of this is great info, and yeah, I also remember hearing references to a master plan . . . but never seeing the plan itself.

I understand it's almost certainly not going anywhere while any of us are alive, but there would seem to be a lot of opportunity for UT up there -- whether to carve away some acreage for private development or to build out more research infrastructure (especially when you consider Pickle West and its nearby forest). It's only gonna look better and better as time goes on . . .

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Apparently there's some Pickle Campus Master Plan, dating to 2002. I'm having problems finding a real copy, just references to it.

Edit: Okay, FWIW here's a reference saying that plan was never formally adopted anyway

" UT had a master plan made a few years ago and it was never adopted, it was really an exciting plan because it was a much more urban environment. "

http://northburnetgateway.blogspot.com/
I remember reading about the plan as well. The wikipedia page for the Pickle campus has a link the firm that created the master plan, but the page with the master plan is no longer available.

I did find more on the plan in an old article from Impact News. The article said..."In 1999, then-university president Larry Faulkner organized a committee headed by Charboneau to create a master plan for the campus. Planning firm Carter & Burgess was hired for $1 million to help find a solution, and planners Ayers/Saint/Gross released renderings of J.J. Pickle with student quads. This committee even left a spot at the J.J. Pickle campus for the George W. Bush Presidential Library, which the university was bidding on at the time. The vacant land closest to Burnet Road was originally set aside to build University housing, but Charboneau said that the complication that kept them from building residential units then still persists today." The complication was transportation between Pickle and the 40 acres. A subway was considered, but the $40m price tag was too much.

Here's a link. They have a good map of the campus. BTW, the UT system just approved construction of a new three story building for the ARL.

https://c4c5h4b3jv11qq3kf399hf3c-wpe...WA-2007-10.pdf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:01 AM

Nice finds, y'all.

This plan would be absolutely terrific for the area. Shame it didn't come to fruition.

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:25 PM

On the master transportation plan, it shows two things of interest here:

Rutland continuing through pickle, crossing mopac and meeting up with 360
Runberg extended across burnet, meeting up with Longhorn and then longhorn crossing mopac to York

I doubt either gets done but its on the master plan

On page 4:21 it shows the Runberg part, it does not show Rutland but I have seen it on other transportation plans

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austingo/nbg-np.pdf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
The complication was transportation between Pickle and the 40 acres. A subway was considered, but the $40m price tag was too much.
Yeah, I call bullshit on that.

Or rather, I call reporter intern who didn't have a clue what they were writing about. If we could build anything like a "subway" for $5M /mile, they'd be all over Austin.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I call bullshit on that.

Or rather, I call reporter intern who didn't have a clue what they were writing about. If we could build anything like a "subway" for $5M /mile, they'd be all over Austin.
that was my thought as well.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:34 PM

Maybe they meant subway under the MoPac to connect those 2 properties.

Or quoting an old article from 1952, hah. You could buy a lot for $40M back then

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:30 PM
Meh

Amazon is leasing more space at Domain 10 and adding 600 jobs in Austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...th-austin.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Amazon is leasing more space at Domain 10 and adding 600 jobs in Austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...th-austin.html
I wonder if we're starting to see some of those old NYC HQ2 jobs yet.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfnut View Post
On the master transportation plan, it shows two things of interest here:

Rutland continuing through pickle, crossing mopac and meeting up with 360
Runberg extended across burnet, meeting up with Longhorn and then longhorn crossing mopac to York

I doubt either gets done but its on the master plan

On page 4:21 it shows the Runberg part, it does not show Rutland but I have seen it on other transportation plans

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austingo/nbg-np.pdf
I like the idea of connecting Rundberg to Mopac but I'm not a fan of how they conceptualized it as only an exit onto the Mopac access road rather than allowing cars to turn onto Rundberg from the access road.

It would be nice if some drivers could turn onto Rundberg from Mopac so they don't all have to go down Braker or 183.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:57 AM
Meh

I noticed at least one of the Domain office towers (I don't know which) from I-35 today just north of downtown between UT and the St. David's Medical Center. That's the first time I've noticed any of the Domain buildings from ground level in or around downtown/UT. Surely, when the taller buildings come, they'll be even more noticeable.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:16 PM

Its been interesting watching all the activity around the IBM 045 plant. Its amazing to see all that goes into the utility prep work. Storm Drains, water, waster waste, electrical, ... Dig, install, cover, dig, install, cover, .... Elevation changes, new ADA parking lot to free up northeast side access where DT III will go. If you only look at the results a week at a time you miss all the stuff that has been buried on a daily basis. These workers always impress me. They work so hard in very hot tough conditions.

Anyway, things are moving along, looks like they should be on target to start DT III and maybe Bowen in October. Not sure when they will tear up the south side for DT II. That is considered phase 2 of the demo, so maybe after the north side utilities are done.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 12:49 AM
Meh

4-story mixed use at 7001 Burnet Road - this is at the northeast corner of Cullen Avenue and Burnet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ixed%20Use.pdf

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
4-story mixed use at 7001 Burnet Road - this is at the northeast corner of Cullen Avenue and Burnet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ixed%20Use.pdf
Sweet. Now do the VW and Mazda dealerships!

I can imagine the coming outcry on Nextdoor about the neighborhood losing its beloved/historic rainbow fence. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about that a long time ago, maybe on the crestview listserv.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 3:32 PM
ATX USA

Glad to see this. I've been living in Brentwood for 13 years so it's right around the corner.

I don't have high hopes about the VW and Mazda sites, but this does remind me about something I read a couple years ago. Apparently a developer bought the Burnet Road Storage property, i.e. the former drive-in theater. He was supposedly planning to redevelop that into a mixed-use property. I think the same guy bought property on Lamar for the same reason.
Sorry my memory on this is a bit hazy. Does anyone know what happened to those projects?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 8:35 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Sweet. Now do the VW and Mazda dealerships!

I can imagine the coming outcry on Nextdoor about the neighborhood losing its beloved/historic rainbow fence. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about that a long time ago, maybe on the crestview listserv.
Oh, I hadn't even realized that was the lot. I didn't bother to go Google it. I've seen it many times in person and have always sort of thought it was neat. Someone could salvage it if they were so attached.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:11 PM

The ABJ has an article about Broadmoor. It basically refers to the permits already linked to in this thread with no new info. But I was wondering how the current IBM buildings fit in to their plans, and there is this quote:

Quote:
Other [IBM] buildings on the sites could be remodeled or torn down and replaced with more modern and taller buildings, more than 30 stories tall, depending on the future needs of IBM. New development from retail, hotel and apartments is expected to rise on the surface parking lots near Burnet Road
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:56 PM

have you seen this new brochure from brandywine, includes some timelines

http://digital.brandywinerealty.com/...g-brochure.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin