HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
I believe they're saying end of this week?

You can see HP1 at the far right side of the RBCM's webcam...
I hope it does not have a negative impact on the Market Stores. They have a better selection than most Save-On-Foods.

However you have to shop online to get the full selection the Market Stores offer. https://express.themarketstores.com/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 10:43 PM

It makes me wonder what will happen going forward. Expansion of downtown grocery/supermarket space seems to be outpacing downtown residential growth by a fair bit. Although I suppose things will get shaken up for a time when the inevitable redevelopment of the London Drugs/Market on Yates block happens.

Pic of the new Save-on Foods by Mike K.:

Pic of Ironworks by laconic at vibrantvictoria.ca:

Hudson Place One by grantpalin at vibrantvictoria.ca:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 12:08 AM

went to the save on foods today. pretty nice inside. it was also nice to not have to take out a loan from the bank to get groceries there unlike Market...

one thing that was interesting was the security guards, i guess that is a pretty sketchy area so i wonder if those were just for the opening or will there be a permanent presence.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:56 PM

Domino’s Pizza is moving from Quadra and Pandora to the plaza on Bay and Blanshard where the Wendy’s is because of all the drug addicts where they are now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:37 AM

that sounds perfect!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
It makes me wonder what will happen going forward. Expansion of downtown grocery/supermarket space seems to be outpacing downtown residential growth by a fair bit. Although I suppose things will get shaken up for a time when the inevitable redevelopment of the London Drugs/Market on Yates block happens.

Pic of the new Save-on Foods by Mike K.:
Wellburns Food Market up the street on Pandora at Cook will be closed in the near future for a new development there, so this new Safe on Foods is a welcome relief, particularly for those living in the immediate neighbourhood. I think Victoria's City Centre still needs another one or two supermarket type stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdevelopments View Post
Domino’s Pizza is moving from Quadra and Pandora to the plaza on Bay and Blanshard where the Wendy’s is because of all the drug addicts where they are now.
City should pass a bylaw like Vernon's to prevent addicts/drug pushers to hang out in front of businesses.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ten million dollars is crazy. I think that is what the penthouse condo in the custom’s house sold for last year. Insane.
It was listed for $11 million actually but I don't know if it's been sold. There's been 3 condos in Victoria whose price has blown my mind, Shoal Point, the Promontory and now Customs House

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I hope it does not have a negative impact on the Market Stores.
Of course it will Without the new Save-On, the Market on Yates would have pretty much a monopoly on downtown grocery shopping, especially since Wellburn's days are numbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
one thing that was interesting was the security guards, i guess that is a pretty sketchy area so i wonder if those were just for the opening or will there be a permanent presence.
In that 'hood I would have been surprised to not see security. Don't expect them to go away any time soon either since the number of scrotes in the 'hood will only increase. It's great to see Victoria finally get it's own Downtown Eastside

Quote:
How do you know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I think Victoria's City Centre still needs another one or two supermarket type stores.
I've been living downtown (or close to it) for so long I remember when the only grocery stores downtown were Grocery Plus at View and Quadra and Alpine Market on Blanshard, which combined, weren't even half the size of the new Save-On. There was a plan years ago to put in a supermarket in the ground floor on the Humboldt side of Astoria but it never happened

Quote:
City should pass a bylaw like Vernon's to prevent addicts/drug pushers to hang out in front of businesses.
With the number of bleeding-heart lefties on this city council? Good luck with that

Here's Victoria's soon-to-be real game changer:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 7:53 PM

Pic by dkuitu at vibrantvictoria.ca:

Pics below by Gary Hoyer at flickr.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_hoyer/48560290131/

--

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_hoyer/48560426062/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 9:29 PM

Thanks for the pictures. So cool seeing the city grow. I can’t wait to see it when The Hudson tower 2 is built. Phil: my friend is an assistant manager at Domino’s the signs are already up at the Bay and Blanshard new location.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:52 AM
BANNED

I never questioned that Domino's is moving, my question was about the reason why they're moving, which you claimed to know

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:34 AM

I mentioned that I have a friend who is a manager for Domino’s told me. I saw the sign at the new Bay Street store so I asked him if Domino’s was opening a new store and he told me that the Pandora store was moving because of all the addicts and street people there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:19 PM

Pandora really needs to clean up. It is such a beautiful tree-lined street but there certainly needs to be more street order, or it could become the new Downtown Eastside, like Vancouver's very own.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:36 AM

My Mom and Dad went to Denny’s across from Mayfair mall today. They sat on the section by the washrooms My mom told me today there are so many drug attic’s going in and out of the bathroom I’m going to go use the bathroom like a shower and one lady was half passed out At a table. When they left the restaurant right outside the front door was another homeless guy with a huge cart by the front door with a pitbull with no leash. My mom was really scared. She said they’ll never go back to that Denny’s but will go to the one in Calwood.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:33 PM
BANNED

^I'm not surprised since the city has converted most hotels in the area into "supportive housing"

Quote:
Pandora really needs to clean up. It is such a beautiful tree-lined street but there certainly needs to be more street order, or it could become the new Downtown Eastside, like Vancouver's very own.
It already is

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 8:17 PM

I was driving downtown today and they were raising the tower crane at the Hudson.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:25 PM

Since they raised the crane it has to be one of the tallest tower cranes ever to be in Victoria. I also wish that I could take photos. So many times I see a great view that I could capture only not being able to. Maybe one day.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:06 AM
BANNED

^So you don't have a cell phone or a camera?

I don't think the crane at the Hudson is any taller than the crane was at 989 Johnson even though the Hudson will be quite a bit taller, that crane blew my mind with how tall it was

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:43 PM

HP1 at far left as viewed from Hotel Grand Pacific:

pic from https://www.tripadvisor.ca

Concert's Tapestry Residence by Kungsberg at vibrantvictoria.ca

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 10:00 AM

nice thanks for the updates

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:27 PM

Black and White, also by Kungsberg at vibrantvictoria.ca:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia