HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Great American Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Cincinnati Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasbrink View Post
what towers does Cinci have?
Haven't spent much time in Cincinnati but being close by in Indianapolis, I've had the chance to drive through many times. Downtown Cincinnati is actually quite nice (even dense) despite the fact that its towers aren't very tall. It is really impressive when seen from the Kentucky side of the river as you start heading down the hill towards the river; the lighting scheme used in many of the towers is very cool.

This building by itself ... meh. However, I do think it will fit in very well with the other towers and will be a great addition to Cincy ... if it gets built.

Uhmm, DallasBrink, I do like your message there about the Cowboys .... but it is "lose" and "than".

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
BANNED

The shorter buildings makes it easier for the police choppers to keep up with the Cincinnati Bengals football players when they break the law.

owwww
to soon?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMininger View Post
Haven't spent much time in Cincinnati but being close by in Indianapolis, I've had the chance to drive through many times. Downtown Cincinnati is actually quite nice (even dense) despite the fact that its towers aren't very tall. It is really impressive when seen from the Kentucky side of the river as you start heading down the hill towards the river; the lighting scheme used in many of the towers is very cool.

This building by itself ... meh. However, I do think it will fit in very well with the other towers and will be a great addition to Cincy ... if it gets built.

Uhmm, DallasBrink, I do like your message there about the Cowboys .... but it is "lose" and "than".
Im dyslexic so its hard to spell, thanks for that though.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:55 PM
TL;DR

Building isn't TOO bad - although it looks like one of Calatrava's buildings was dumped onto an uninspiring PoMo tower.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
Meh

The tower itself is nice, but I just don't know about that crown. I'd rather see the roof continued upward with more setbacks terminating with a flat roof. Sort of like Philly's Verizon Tower, but with more glass like Charlotte's Bank of America Center. Then again, Cincy really does need a crown for her majesty the queen. That crown needs some work, it just looks so odd.

I also doubt the tower will be anywhere near 700 or 800 feet going by those renderings.

Emporis is reporting that the tower will be 497 feet tall to the top of the crown, 483 feet to the top floor (occupied), and it will have 37 floors.

Building's page at Emporis with additional rendering:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...cinnati-oh-usa

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
Still cyber-converted fka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
AFAIR, the tower's height was 689 ft.
Or perhaps this is the same building?

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=10704

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:29 AM

Nope, The Fountain Square Tower proposal is long dead. I didnt like the design they had for it anyways. Although what they've done with Fountain Square in general is pretty nice. Goddamnit, this city hesistates too much, jus like the Bengals offense.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:21 AM

I must say I like the design. When the proposal came out a year or so ago, the 689 ft figure was the height that was floating around. I think the newest renderings show a building close to that height.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:28 AM

the lipstick building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:35 AM

It fits cincy's style quite nicely up until the crown. What the hell is that thing? I wish more tall buildings were in cincy, but the crown on this is no good.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 6:07 AM

[QUOTE=KevinFromTexas;3102022]The tower itself is nice, but I just don't know about that crown. I'd rather see the roof continued upward with more setbacks terminating with a flat roof. Sort of like Philly's Verizon Tower, but with more glass like Charlotte's Bank of America Center. Then again, Cincy really does need a crown for her majesty the queen. That crown needs some work, it just looks so odd.
QUOTE]

I am just ok with the crown at least as depicted in some of the renderings. From the renderings, to be honest, the crown does cause me to downgrade my opinion of the building. However, I think the crown may look better realized than it looks in the renderings. The crown on the BOA building in Charlotte is "awesome" for lack of a more intelligent word. Really, that is a beautiful building that I think doesn't get as much of a nod as it should. Honestly though, if this building had that crown, it is so similar otherwise that it would just look like a short version of BOA. That is not a good thing. I think the crown on BOA is a reference to the fact that Charlotte is also known as the Queen City. So, what are you saying about Cincy to build essentially a smaller lookalike? You brought up the flat top of the Verizon crown but modified .... I think the crown on Verizon as it is would look good on this building. That is another building that doesn't get the attention it deserves (to be fair though ... it doesn't photograph well ... it is significantly better seen in person.)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:15 AM

Interesting building. . . I kind of like the top. . . pretty unusual. . .

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:40 AM
BANNED

dear god.. what is wrong with that building?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 2:17 AM

Glad to hear it's still alive .I always liked this building.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 4:14 AM

I'm temporarily living in Cinci, and for the life of me I cannot find the supposed "Part 1" that was allready completed, or the site for this tower in general. At best this tower is still years away, but if anyone could help me with the location of the site that would be terrific.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 9:25 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:36 PM

Cincy

Cincinn ati deserves something new!!!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I *believe* this is the latest and greatest rendering:

Now if it was more like this (quick & dirty Paint Shop job, sorry)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
That's what she said

CINCINNATI | Queen City Square | 689 ft | 37 FLOORS

City's tallest tower to be built
Queen City Square to get started in spring
BY KEITH T. REED | KREED@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us! | Click-2-Listen

Western & Southern Financial Group met with city officials Tuesday to propose a timeline for building its long-planned Queen City Square office tower, a project that would become the tallest building in downtown Cincinnati. The building would open in 2011.

Executives from the company and its project manager, Turner Construction, met with city officials Tuesday at City Hall to lay out details.

The project is slated to stand 40 stories, bringing a massive 800,000 square feet of office space, 21,000 square feet of ground-level retail and 1,300 parking spaces on nine levels, city officials said. Because of its distinctive arching roof, Queen City Square would be taller than the 574-foot Carew Tower even though it would have fewer floors.

Western & Southern executives declined to comment, but company chairman John F. Barrett has sent invitations to local developers and dignitaries for “a major announcement” Thursday afternoon.

Left unanswered are how much Queen City Square will cost and key details about its financing.

Demolition on an existing 1,500-space parking garage at the site – roughly bordered by Third Street to the south, Fourth to the north, Broadway to the east and Sycamore to the west – is planned to start in mid-2008.

With about 33 months from start to finish, demolition to completion, construction of the building would likely overlap the building of at least the initial phases of The Banks, the planned mixed-use project slated for the riverfront between Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium.

“We are excited that Western & Southern is taking this opportunity to invest in the city,” Holly Childs, the city’s economic development director, said. “Their commitment to Queen City Square is a catalytic development for the Banks project and the future of the central business district.”

The developers of that project are actively looking for an architect for its first residential and retail phase, and groundbreaking for infrastructure improvements at that site is slated fo the first quarter of 2008.

The Banks also is scheduled to include two office towers holding a total of 200,000 to 1 million square feet of space.

Western & Southern was among the Fourth Street property owners that raised concerns this fall about an increase in the size of The Banks project and a 30-story height limit. They worried that The Banks would compete with downtown by siphoning off tenants and parking spaces. In response, the Banks Working Group – the city-county group that drafted an agreement with that project’s developers – lowered the maximum recommended building height to 24 stories.

Left unanswered are how much Queen City Square will cost and key details about its financing. Childs said Western & Southern has not asked the city for any financial assistance with the project, but the city has not ruled out that possibility.

Another key piece of the financing puzzle might lie in whether the developer has a primary tenant lined up. Real estate lenders and investors view tenants in office projects as collateral and often require signed leases or letters of intent before approving funding for major projects.

Earlier this year, Barrett said Western & Southern was “out there aggressively trying to pre-lease that tower,” referring to the project.

The company initially floated the idea of Queen City Square roughly 20 years ago, then revived it in 2002.

The new building would be adjacent to the 303 Broadway building, at the northwest corner of Third and Broadway. The building – the first new office tower built in downtown in 14 years – opened in 2005 and is almost full

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...312190005/1076

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 12:34 AM

Yep. Its mos def getting built. And whats with all the hate on the crown? I can only imagine it looking authentically awesome in person, and it will also stand out more as a Cincy icon because of it. We don't need a crown like Bank Of America Tower or Library Tower. Ours is unique

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive