HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 10:20 PM

I've been worried about this project because the site plan application expired, and they never filed a new one after they got the density bonus last summer. But they do have an active construction permit in E-Review. At some point they will need to file a site plan. I still don't think this one will start in 2020.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=524421

EDIT: I found an older site plan that is still in process. I'm guessing the second site plan was filed in error, and that's why it was allowed to expire. The site plan is far enough along in the approval process to give this one a chance of starting in 2020.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=524421

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 6, 2020 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:45 PM

No major news. But the site plan had been stuck on "Inactive" for several weeks, and it moved back into "Review" this morning. It also appears that the site plan is close to approval. I haven't heard anything about financing related to this project. But I think Tower #1 is a good candidate for the next big one to break ground.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:49 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Is this still being phased in? I thought I read somewhere that they were going to go ahead and build both together.

Also, isn't Tower 1 the smaller of the two? If so, and they phase this project in, there is quite a decent chance Tower 2 (the taller one) is never realized.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:48 AM

GDA now features Travis Tower #1 on their website. Some new renderings...

https://gda-architects.com/gda-the-travis.html

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:20 PM

Great height, but hoping for more design details and something for a crown.....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:47 PM

So does tower 2 go to the north or the south of Tower 1? Wondering if it will block my buddy’s view from his 20th floor, west facing, Shore unit.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:53 PM

I also remembered that it was going through permitting as a two-tower package. Back in Sept 2019 it went in front of the Design commission that way. Here's the rendering at that point:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I also remembered that it was going through permitting as a two-tower package. Back in Sept 2019 it went in front of the Design commission that way. Here's the rendering at that point:

yep, he's screwed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:27 PM

He might be, unfortunately, but we're not. This tandem is so impressive and game changing that I can only hope I live long enough to see them get built. This is very "Big City". For those people using the lake from the I35 bridge through downtown, this has to be one of the most user friendly, beautiful urban scenic opportunities in the country. Better than the Cliffs of Dover, urban speaking.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:39 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
GDA now features Travis Tower #1 on their website. Some new renderings...

https://gda-architects.com/gda-the-travis.html
The architect's webpage for this project only refers to it as "The Travis." No mention of Tower 1 or Tower 2. Have they decided to drop the two tower plan?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
So does tower 2 go to the north or the south of Tower 1? Wondering if it will block my buddy’s view from his 20th floor, west facing, Shore unit.
I think it depends. I've got a balcony on the 21st floor of the shore, so I probably have some experience. I think everyone with any sort of west-facing view is going to be affected a bit, but it really depends on what side of the building (north or south) the balcony is one. For example, on the 20th floor, 2002, and 2003 will probably be the most affected. Hopefully these will be skinny enough where there will still be some decent views shining through, but who knows.

That said, lots of the residents in my building are hostile to just about any development...even though this is going to block my view quite a bit, I'm fine with it. As long as it looks good, it's going to add to the neighborhood and make it much more like part of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I think it depends. I've got a balcony on the 21st floor of the shore, so I probably have some experience. I think everyone with any sort of west-facing view is going to be affected a bit, but it really depends on what side of the building (north or south) the balcony is one. For example, on the 20th floor, 2002, and 2003 will probably be the most affected. Hopefully these will be skinny enough where there will still be some decent views shining through, but who knows.

That said, lots of the residents in my building are hostile to just about any development...even though this is going to block my view quite a bit, I'm fine with it. As long as it looks good, it's going to add to the neighborhood and make it much more like part of downtown.
bingo...he's 2002.

I imagine it won't happen for years to come. If they plan to build them one at a time. He should be good for at least another 3-5 years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:39 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
For those people using the lake from the I35 bridge through downtown, this has to be one of the most user friendly, beautiful urban scenic opportunities in the country. Better than the Cliffs of Dover, urban speaking.
Coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel in Pittsburgh.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4375...7i16384!8i8192

Hamilton Avenue/Park in New Jersey.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7699...7i16384!8i8192

The ferry in Seattle.
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5992.../data=!3m1!1e3

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7965...7i16384!8i8192

And I'd say the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2606...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is SO underrated. It's incredible, and you nailed it. Coming out of the tunnel after a long hiatus...WOW!

But I have to admit, the most amazing WOW scenic urban opp (in N America) I've ever seen was a Helijet into Vancouver from Victoria....mind blown. The cool part for me was, I had no idea, I'd done no research as to the skyline (weird I know). I just figured it would be a typical boring downtown, I didn't know I was flying into NYC-lite.

Watching the skyline grow as we approached was something I'll never forget.....I just kept saying to myself "that can't be Vancouver"

https://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/...ines/vancouver

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:55 PM
クラブトクヨ

My first time in Pitts I was blown away going through that tunnel and seeing the skyline. I had no idea. Vancouver looks stunning. Want to visit soon.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 9:19 PM

I was refering to the view from the lake for people on the lake, paddle boarding and what not. The tree lined park setting along the lake on both sides with the increasing amount of towers lining up. Its a more natural and peaceful setting. Just giving Austin some props. Those other locations are amazing also for sure, in a different perspective. I don't know this for sure, but I don't think those commercial waterways are condusive to paddle boards, paddle boats, and crew boat races, or even safe places for dogs to jump in and out of.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was refering to the view from the lake for people on the lake, paddle boarding and what not. The tree lined park setting along the lake on both sides with the increasing amount of towers lining up. Its a more natural and peaceful setting. Just giving Austin some props. Those other locations are amazing also for sure, in a different perspective. I don't know this for sure, but I don't think those commercial waterways are condusive to paddle boards, paddle boats, and crew boat races, or even safe places for dogs to jump in and out of.
You are right. I've paddled/run/and now bike up and down that lake more times than I can ever count (since '87). Thinking of buying a couple kayaks for the fam. The kids (3&5) loved it so this last fall. Finished it up with Pool Burger and rum cocktail.....too good.
It really is gorgeous.

Don't sleep on Portland, they have a pretty intense "kayak on the downtown riverfront" scene too.

When this wave of building wraps up in 5-7 years, we will have one of the best skylines in the US, if not the best. I can't FREAKING wait.....except the whole..... I'll be older part.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:02 AM
Meh

I don't think all is lost at The Shore.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:07 PM

Interesting. I had always thought the 2nd Travis tower would be build to the side of the first, without a large parking podium. It will be interesting to see them built one behind the other like that.

This also begs the question: If Travis #1 is the building closer to the lake, and Travis #2 is not planned to start for at least a couple years, what will go in its place in the meantime? They can either have an empty lot, which will look bad in front of their new building, or they can have landscaping, which will look great but then be a waste if they rip in up in a couple years... perhaps just a planted grass field, like what you can see at the MACC in these pictures.

Also, I can see my balcony, right there where the red part of the shore meets the yellow, on the northeast corner. I suppose I'll have a wildly different view in a couple of years. I just hope the construction isn't too inconveniencing, since there's been a lane closed on red river for what seems like 10 years now

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 3:27 PM

Thanks again for keeping up with that map, Kevin. It's amazing to see what a forest of towers Rainey's going to become. All the existing stuff is just going to be dwarfed in the next 5 yrs or so.

I mean, the Van Zandt's just so teensy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin