HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:22 PM

Just had a chance to look at Venn Coffee's website:

https://drinkvenn.com

Great addition to the Broadway District.

They are located at 830 Dufferin Avenue, behind Amigos off Broadway.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of more extensive use of alleyways in the District for retail purposes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:58 PM

Group hopes food seller and other stores replace departing Riversdale Liquor Store
Gov't-run liquor and gaming authority had tried to find a private operator

By Guy Quenneville, CBC News
Posted: Aug 20, 2017 2:33 PM CT | Last Updated: Aug 20, 2017 5:35 PM CT

Quote:
The Riversdale Liquor Store on 20th Street will close its doors later this year, according to the realtor tasked with finding a new tenant for the building.

The news comes despite an effort by the province's Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority (SLGA), which owns the store, to find a new private operator for the outlet.

"For Lease" signs appeared on the building last week.

"We have been told that, as of Dec. 1, [SLGA] would be ceasing operations there, at which time that building would become vacant," said Michael Bratvold, the vice-president and managing director for CBRE.

"So we're out now in the market looking for a new tenant for the owner of that building."

The Saskatchewan government announced in 2015 its plan to convert dozens of SLGA stores into private stores, including the Riversdale location at the corner of 20th Street West and Avenue D.

But no such private operators have emerged, said Bratvold.

"We are looking at some groups that we know are in the market and looking to open a privatized liquor store, but at this juncture I don't think that's likely," he said.

The SLGA could not be reached for comment Sunday.

[....]
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...year-1.4254957

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 12:04 AM

According to this map of the Brighton Marketplace, 12 spaces are leased. It shows another five as conditional.

I am particularly interested to know what businesses may be going in N, A1, and A2, as they are larger spaces.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:49 PM

New signage up at the former Ivy on 24th for a new joint called District Kitchen and Bar.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:12 PM

Hi everyone. I have a question which I am hoping someone could answer. What is the name of the coffee shop on the College Quarter Greenway? Is it open?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 11:03 PM

I thinks it's going to be a Mystic Java. I'm not sure if it's open yet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I thinks it's going to be a Mystic Java. I'm not sure if it's open yet.
Thanks Echoes. I walked by and it looks pretty finished but it's not on their website so probably not open yet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:22 PM

Canada's Hottest New Food City Is Where You'd Least Expect It

by Veronica Meewes, Food & Wine
September 19, 2017

Americans regularly cross the northern border to enjoy the diverse scene of Toronto, Montreal’s iconic delicacies and the exquisite sustainable seafood found in Vancouver. But, until recently, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan has remained relatively under the radar as Canada’s newest food destination. And though the city isn’t as easily accessed as those on Canada’s coasts, it is well worth the trip.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/sa...-new-food-city

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:26 PM

According to Colliers there ar 2 spaces in Riverbend leased and 1 sold in Edgewater in the banks complex. Doesn't say what they are.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:54 PM

I saw the other day that there is a hair salon going into one of The Banks commercial areas directly across from the Farmer's Market. Don't know what else might be leased/bought.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:29 PM

Signage up in the windows of the former Durand's shoe store on 2nd Ave for Shelter Brewing Co., opening late '17/early '18.

https://www.shelterbrewing.ca/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:29 PM

Sears lease/Midtown redevelopment

I was at Midtown with my kids last week and I noticed a rendering on the boarded-up tower portion had what looked like a Zara sign where the SportChek currently is (I don't know if people have been to Midtown lately - the whole ceiling and top fascia of the stores in the mall is ripped out and the tower is boarded up on both the main and second levels - they are doing some major upgrades).

This got me curious. I thought it could be a general rendering with any sign thrown in, but the Laura Secord was still where it was before the renos began.

I found a recent thread on Reddit where people are discussing rumors that Zara is coming to Midtown. In it, one person says the Sears lease is up in October and they plan to redevelop that space. Here is the thread.

Perhaps Midtown has negotiated to buy out the Sears lease. Or, perhaps these are all baseless rumors and wishful thinking (remember the rumors from about 5 years ago that H&M was opening in Confederation Mall?). It wouldn't surprise me though, as Cornwall Centre in Regina is going through a similar renovation and apparently these brands have been looking at expanding to a suitable location in Saskatoon.

If anyone has any further rumors, please post. I'm quite curious what changes are in store for Midtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I was at Midtown with my kids last week and I noticed a rendering on the boarded-up tower portion had what looked like a Zara sign where the SportChek currently is (I don't know if people have been to Midtown lately - the whole ceiling and top fascia of the stores in the mall is ripped out and the tower is boarded up on both the main and second levels - they are doing some major upgrades).

This got me curious. I thought it could be a general rendering with any sign thrown in, but the Laura Secord was still where it was before the renos began.

I found a recent thread on Reddit where people are discussing rumors that Zara is coming to Midtown. In it, one person says the Sears lease is up in October and they plan to redevelop that space. Here is the thread.

Perhaps Midtown has negotiated to buy out the Sears lease. Or, perhaps these are all baseless rumors and wishful thinking (remember the rumors from about 5 years ago that H&M was opening in Confederation Mall?). It wouldn't surprise me though, as Cornwall Centre in Regina is going through a similar renovation and apparently these brands have been looking at expanding to a suitable location in Saskatoon.

If anyone has any further rumors, please post. I'm quite curious what changes are in store for Midtown.
Sears probably have renewal rights at extremely low rents. Cornwall Centre is extremely happy to be rid of them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 2:33 AM

I was poking around the website for the New Mexican restaurant Picaro and ended up on the site for the parent company. On there they list Una and Picaro and also say Gusto coming Spring 2018. Anyone know anything about Gusto (location, concept etc)? I’m hoping from the name it’s an Italian spot as that seems to be one thing Saskatoon is a little short on is a higher end Italian restaurant to compliment Little Grouse.

https://www.tasteyxe.com/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Sears probably have renewal rights at extremely low rents. Cornwall Centre is extremely happy to be rid of them.
The main reason why I drive to Edmonton twice a year is for Zara. Sportcheck could definitely use a larger spot. I've never been one to want to get rid of retail but god damn Sears is a drag on the downtown mall. I was so sad to hear that they weren't closing that location in the last round of shuttering. How long do they want this pain to go on for.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 4:04 PM

Agreed. The news of Sears staying was deeply upsetting to me.

The renos that Midtown Plaza are doing are really encouraging. The new tile that's been laid has a high end look and reminds me of the contemporary looking malls I've been to in Toronto and Ottawa lately. It's reasonable to assume that they're looking to continue upgrading their tenants to go along with the changes.

I really wish some investment would go into upgrading Hudson's Bay. The locations in larger cities are really nice.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
I was poking around the website for the New Mexican restaurant Picaro and ended up on the site for the parent company. On there they list Una and Picaro and also say Gusto coming Spring 2018. Anyone know anything about Gusto (location, concept etc)? I’m hoping from the name it’s an Italian spot as that seems to be one thing Saskatoon is a little short on is a higher end Italian restaurant to compliment Little Grouse.

https://www.tasteyxe.com/
Gusto is an Italian concept that will be going in the take-away space next to Una. Renovations are expected to start in January.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:50 PM

11 more sears stores closing, but no word on Saskatoon yet

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/sears...ores-1.3615235

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
11 more sears stores closing, but no word on Saskatoon yet

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/sears...ores-1.3615235
I was having drinks at Picaro in the weekend, and you really notice how Sears has dragged down that end of downtown over the last ten years. I personally am way too excited to see it close.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:21 PM

Hey...didn't even know Picaro was open now! Have to go check it out...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan