HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:55 PM
Mooderator

It doesn't take 4 years (plus the countless delays) to build an interchange.

This thing is about money, or lack-there-of, plus commitment to build the thing, and the government is spending it somewhere else.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:47 PM

It's not 3 years construction just for one interchange. It's reconstruction of Lag from inside the perimeter north to past PR 202, possibly further depending on the new design concepts. With potentially one more diamond at PR 202, AT overpass, possibly more stuff. Removal of the weigh scales, etc. Closure, relocation, paving of existing access roads. Major relocation of Wenzel road, if that's still included. Building 4-5 bridges simultaneously takes time. 3 year construction timeline is acceptable to me.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Removal of the weigh scales, etc. Closure, relocation, paving of existing access roads. Major relocation of Wenzel road, if that's still included. Building 4-5 bridges simultaneously takes time. 3 year construction timeline is acceptable to me.
Agreed, I can wait 3 more years if they actually get the job done.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Wasn't the person leasing the hote, Potenza, of Potenza pizza fame? I also heard he (or someone else) held the lease on boardwalk consessions. A couple of years ago there was a dispute and the consessions remained closed. Like...can you imagine that happening at any US beach tourist attraction?

Im not sure the property owners in Grand Marais would care much about the Surf Club as its quite far. I believe it was the Grand Beach cottagers that had the issue. They also forced Potenza to close his patio early I believe (the pizza joint is in Grand Marais but right along the border of the park). Anyone who remembers Grand Marais and Grand Beach from a few years ago where there was activity an d hustle and bustle til 2 am all weekend is likely disheartened to see it now. Its had a resurchence in cottage goers in the sense there is more people there now (seems like the old timers died off and their "kids" are now taking over) with a lot of renos and new builds. But its a sleepy town and not the resort town it could/should be.

Sorry, off topic.
From what I understand, yes it is the same person.

I remember going to Grand Beach quite a bit in the 90s and early 2000s and the Surf Club was a pretty happening place mostly on the weekends of course. That in spite of the fact the place was shithole along with the hotel.

I believe the NDP government responded to pressure from the locals and forced the leaser out even though he has spent some money on improvements to the Surf Club.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 5:41 PM

I noticed MIT removed the open house boards for the North Perimeter AT overpass. Could there be an open house coming soon for the interchange project, that will include the AT overpass? The recent press release said they would be built concurrently. Just speculation, no hidden agendas. Seeing as they keep a bunch of mumbo jumbo old crap posted, me thinks there's something more to it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 5:10 PM

I noticed when I drove by that trucks where dumping soil at 59 and 101

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 5:48 PM

Welcome mattpa!

Interesting news, thanks for the update. Sounds like they setup a fill dump for embankment material. Where was it, right inside the interchange?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:51 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I noticed MIT removed the open house boards for the North Perimeter AT overpass. Could there be an open house coming soon for the interchange project, that will include the AT overpass? The recent press release said they would be built concurrently. Just speculation, no hidden agendas. Seeing as they keep a bunch of mumbo jumbo old crap posted, me thinks there's something more to it.
The AT overpass will be a part of the new interchange.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:54 PM

Yeah. I was just speculating since they removed the boards that were posted for the last year or two, that something new will be posted in it's place in the near future. Ie: open house boards for the interchange!

Now when you say "part of the interchange", is that as part of the project, or as part of the actual interchange? Ie: the AT overpass has changed locations.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:16 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ It will be built in conjunction with the interchange (ie: constructed within the contract of the interchange tender).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:49 PM
Mooderator

I nominate Biff to gather up a gang of cronies with shovels (rrskylar) and go and start digging on the 59/101 interchange. Maybe it will get done faster.

(you know I love you guys..)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I don't do hard labour. I am high society and that is beneath me....besides I drive a gas guzzeling 4x4 so I don't need roads. I generally drive straight through on the north Perimeter, I don't require the new interchange.

For those who are interested, here is the link to the new Capital Region report for future upgrades. Lots of interchanges and extra lanes......also lots of money required.

http://www.manitobacapitalregion.ca/...?notice_ID=221

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:49 PM

^ Thanks for that.

To me it just looks like a plan to catch up on all of the work that was put off over the last 30 years. I mean, better late than never, but even if they did everything in that plan it still wouldn't bring our transportation network above the lowest baseline standards that you could reasonably expect for a North American city of this size.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
For those who are interested, here is the link to the new Capital Region report for future upgrades. Lots of interchanges and extra lanes......also lots of money required.
No big surprises there.

It is concerning though the report recommends: "Ensure that Residential Development is Restricted Adjacent to Airports." This seems to go directly against the new residential development in the planning stages that is just south of CentrePort.

The report also seems to ignore that 230 is essentially the Winnipeg-Selkirk corridor they propose.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

The report also seems to ignore that 230 is essentially the Winnipeg-Selkirk corridor they propose.
Except that the plan is to 4 lane divide the whole length and upgrade the existing Hwy 8 from St Andrews Airport to the Perimeter. Hwy 230 would likely take a new path to the east as there is too many homes along it's route in the Rossdale area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:27 PM

I notice there is no interchange shown for where the Headingley by-pass will connect with Trans Canada, or where the St. Norbert bypass will connect with 75. How will these intersections be managed? I certainly hope not by signals.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:32 PM

I'm going to make an assumption they will be interchanges. Otherwise, what's the point really?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
I notice there is no interchange shown for where the Headingley by-pass will connect with Trans Canada, or where the St. Norbert bypass will connect with 75. How will these intersections be managed? I certainly hope not by signals.
Those intersections will likely be four-way stops until some future report as the foresight to recommend a grade-separated interchange.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Those intersections will likely be four-way stops until some future report as the foresight to recommend a grade-separated interchange.
You mean "interstate quality four-way stop", right?

But given that the junction of 190/101 is a newly-built interchange, I'd be pretty surprised if 190/1 doesn't involve an interchange too. I mean, even by Manitoba standards it would be laughable if it was just an at-grade intersection.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:18 PM

"Catch up" is exactly what this is. Why do we have such bad infrastructure here? Can anyone give me a simple explanation? I know we had some flooding issues that apparently sucked up a large chunk of infrastructure money, but seriously... our roads are a joke.

I got the privilege to drive along Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton last week. That is one hell of a drive. Then I came back home and realized how bad things really are. The more time I spend away in other cities, the more I realize how terrible our infrastructure really is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan