HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:06 PM

Just noticed that Google Maps has been updated to remove the portions of the bypass that aren’t yet completed. At the same time, there is new Street View imagery that includes the bypass north of Arcola.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Just noticed that Google Maps has been updated to remove the portions of the bypass that aren’t yet completed. At the same time, there is new Street View imagery that includes the bypass north of Arcola.
How often is street view supposed to get updated? My neighbourhood's imagery is from 5 1/2 years ago.

Edit: Found this on the internets:

https://www.google.ca/streetview/understand/

Region District Time
Ontario Wentworth, Lincoln, Welland, Halton, Peel, Wellington, Waterloo, Brant, York, Ontario, Simcoe, Dufferin, Durham, Essex, Kent, Lambton April 2018 – November 2018
Québec Montreal, Laval, Mirabel, Les Moulins, Longueuil, Roussillion, Quebec, Levis, Bellechasse April 2018 – November 2018
Alberta Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton April 2018 – November 2018
British Columbia Fraser Valley, Greater/Metro Vancouver, Okanagan - Similkameen, Squamish, Capital, Nanaimo, Alberni - Clayoquot April 2018 – November 2018
Manitoba Interlake Region, Eastern Region, Winnipeg Region, Central Region April 2018 – November 2018
New Brunswick Saitn John, Fredricton, Mocton, Bathurst, Bonadventure, Sayabec, Riviere-du-Loup April 2018 – November 2018
Nova Scotia Dartmouth, Liverpool, Bridgetown, Antigonish, Baddeck, New Glasgow April 2018 – November 2018
Saskatchewan Saskatoon, Regina April 2018 – November 2018

Does that mean the whole city is supposed to be updated this year?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 9:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That’s a good question. AFAIK, the image of TCH in BC and in NWO are mostly from 6 years ago...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:04 PM

I suppose urban areas will happen more frequently than rural ones.

As an aside, I wish Google would update the 3D imagery of Regina. The current models were created at an awkward time, with Mosaic Stadium half-built and the Legislature dome covered in scaffolding.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That’s a good question. AFAIK, the image of TCH in BC and in NWO are mostly from 6 years ago...
I think it's based on the frequency of use of the route, plus the rate of change of the infrastructure around the route.

My neighbourhood (Regent Park, Regina) has been done twice since Google started doing Street View here. On the other hand, northeastern Montana, just an hour and a half away from here, was done in October 2008 (well before any of Saskatchewan was done) but has never been updated.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 12:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

“The province ended up allowing emergency vehicles to use the closed route”
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4909460

They did exactly what I “suggested”.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
“The province ended up allowing emergency vehicles to use the closed route”
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4909460

They did exactly what I “suggested”.
Thanks for posting that link. The comment section for that article is classic old school SK.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 1:02 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

"P3s should be called P12s - Public Private Partnerships to Plunder the Public Purse to Pursue Policies of Peril to People and the Planet for all Posterity"

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:17 PM

Once again the City let the Ring Road become a skating rink after freezing rain despite it being only -2. I tiny amount of salt would have dealt with that. Did anyone drive on the Regina Bypass this morning? I am wondering if they did better.

One advantage of the Bypass this morning was that Highway 1 westbound was completely blocked by 2 semis that slid into each other. This was in southbound lanes of the Ring Road between Vic and Arcola. There is now at least an alternate route on the Bypass to Arcola and back onto the Ring Road and we do not need to shut down the whole Trans Canada.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Once again the City let the Ring Road become a skating rink after freezing rain despite it being only -2. I tiny amount of salt would have dealt with that.
If people would put winter tires on their vehicles, that would help a bunch, too. I didn't have any significant traction problems today.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
If people would put winter tires on their vehicles, that would help a bunch, too. I didn't have any significant traction problems today.
Although if slow moving semis are sliding all over, there is an issue.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Once again the City let the Ring Road become a skating rink after freezing rain despite it being only -2. I tiny amount of salt would have dealt with that. Did anyone drive on the Regina Bypass this morning? I am wondering if they did better.

One advantage of the Bypass this morning was that Highway 1 westbound was completely blocked by 2 semis that slid into each other. This was in southbound lanes of the Ring Road between Vic and Arcola. There is now at least an alternate route on the Bypass to Arcola and back onto the Ring Road and we do not need to shut down the whole Trans Canada.
Best juice would be the better choice as you put in on prior to it freezing and itnwojt allow the road to freeze up. We use it here in Manitoba and it works really well and won't rot your vehicles to crap.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:29 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

From a week ago:
https://canada.constructconnect.com/...forward-budget

Quote:
The project also incorporated roundabouts into the design. Although roundabouts are used in many parts of the world to increase safety, they are a new concept to Saskatchewan.
LOL

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:56 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Except Winnipeg, of course, which has tons of at-grade intersections on our ring road. The irony is we built our ring road first, of any city in Canada. We never have found the money to upgrade it to limited access.
The province is currently working on plans to turn the south Perimeter into a freeway. Should be released relatively soon actually. I believe they've already done the public consultations.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:12 PM

Are there any plans to fix the coming off the overpass at tower road onto the number 1? Currently the right lane ends with no warning and I have had no less then 5 vehicles swerve into the left hand lane.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
Are there any plans to fix the coming off the overpass at tower road onto the number 1? Currently the right lane ends with no warning and I have had no less then 5 vehicles swerve into the left hand lane.
I am not sure what you mean. There are 4 eastbound lanes for a very long distance. Everyone should be travelling around 110 KPH and merging should be fairly straightforward when it goes down to 3 lanes. There is a merge/lane ending sign:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44742...4!8i8192?hl=en

Are you looking for pavement markings?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean. There are 4 eastbound lanes for a very long distance. Everyone should be travelling around 110 KPH and merging should be fairly straightforward when it goes down to 3 lanes. There is a merge/lane ending sign:

There are two merge signs. One just as you get over the crest of the overpass and then another just before it goes from 4 to 3.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:47 PM

With the curve of the bridge it is easy to miss those signs. IMO, I drive that road every day sometimes twice daily and I cant say ive seen the signs. I will look on way home. I just know that every day there are people who merge in without looking and cause near accidents.
Quote:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
With the curve of the bridge it is easy to miss those signs. IMO, I drive that road every day sometimes twice daily and I cant say ive seen the signs. I will look on way home. I just know that every day there are people who merge in without looking and cause near accidents.
People just have to learn merging (which isn’t a strong point in this city) same with westbound TCH at pinky. There are signs saying 200m and lane ends and both cars (and trucks) wait till the last second to merge! Almost like they are surprised... smh. Just no fixing stupid unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Beginning to be gone are the days of at-grade dual-carriage ways.

Speaking of getting used to merging, are people able to handle the diverging diamond and roundabouts now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan