HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:47 PM
Resident Moron

Larger construction stuff going up at the TacoPud. No idea if work is imminent, but lanes are closed.

Also heard that Juul is giving up their spot in the Hsu designed spot on Oltorf, but are planning on keeping the spot on Lamar across the street. Word is they can't get any tenants to rent the restaurant site which was part of the approval process with the city and it will become either more offices and a Juul store.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Larger construction stuff going up at the TacoPud. No idea if work is imminent, but lanes are closed.

Also heard that Juul is giving up their spot in the Hsu designed spot on Oltorf, but are planning on keeping the spot on Lamar across the street. Word is they can't get any tenants to rent the restaurant site which was part of the approval process with the city and it will become either more offices and a Juul store.
That's a shame. They built a really nice patio and everything.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:

I heard Juul wants to sublease 5k sqft of the space they leased. Not sure which building. I live 2 blocks from the Hether/Lamar building and they are finishing up that one now.

I heard they plan to use the bottom floor (retail) space as a coffee shop run by Medici for themselves. Should know more soon, cuz it looks like they are wrapping up.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:

I heard Juul wants to sublease 5k sqft of the space they leased. Not sure which building. I live 2 blocks from the Hether/Lamar building and they are finishing up that one now.

I heard they plan to use the bottom floor (retail) space as a coffee shop run by Medici for themselves. Should know more soon, cuz it looks like they are wrapping up.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:20 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
That's a shame. They built a really nice patio and everything.
And the palm trees.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:57 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
1515 S Lamar is gone....demo pretty much complete.

Any news on the former Goodwill site at 2800 S Lamar?

I remember an apartment complex geared to lower income was planned... but now, I can't find anything.

S Lamar should have 7 new projects
2800 S Lamar ...... affordable housing? former Goodwill
1515 S Lamar......mixed use (current storage units)
1303 S Lamar .....mixed use (current Genie Car Wash,etc)
218 S Lamar .....Schlotzky's site.....office?
211 S Lamar ....hotel? (Taco C Pud)
1508 S Lamar......90 affordable housing from Huston Street?
2323 S Lamar..... endeavor planning mixed use

Anything I'm missing on Lamar?

I know Maria is always threatening to sell.....I imagine that would go mixed use.
Matt's, Austin New Church, and RLS mini storage all have HUGE lots. I imagine one of those would go next.
Matt's better not go.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Matt's better not go.
They could easily redevelop that land and keep a restaurant component, though I doubt it will ever happen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Matt's better not go.
Matt's netted $13 million in revenue last year... I don't think they are going anywhere.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...lucrative.html

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
Matt's netted $13 million in revenue last year... I don't think they are going anywhere.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...lucrative.html
Yeah for sure. Question I have for them is, could they develop their parking lots. ...I would argue.... hell yes they could. The land they dedicate to cars is a massive waste. They could not touch the restaurant, just build around it...starting with a garage for their patrons.

That said, I agree....it will probably never happen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:03 PM

That would be great. Develop in the front so there is no distribution to the continuous restaurant business.

I think Whole Foods should do the same with their parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
That would be great. Develop in the front so there is no distribution to the continuous restaurant business.

I hate parking lots so bad....just massive wasted space....especially when more housing is needed.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

Their parking lot is on top of a parking garage - I wonder if they're able to build on top of it?

It's a shame it was ever designed that way in the first place though.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:48 PM

Self service storage on Lamar is no more. I think there is a big apartment bldg planned for this site.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:00 PM

Man, I wish this would happen to more self-storage places.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:45 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Man, I wish this would happen to more self-storage places.
Hey! My retirement job is managing one of these eyesores

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:29 PM
Meh

Agree with them or hate them, but self storage businesses are a necessary evil amongst apartment dwellers. You can pretty much count on finding self storage businesses within a mile of most apartment corridors in Austin. If those businesses aren't on Lamar near those residential spaces, they'll just be a little farther away forcing people to drive to them for their storage needs, or more storage will have to be designed into the residential units, which will equal a higher cost.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:49 AM

A necessary evil indeed. But not just for apartment / condo dwellers. My location in Pflugerville is about 97% occupied. I have quite a few businesses renting, but many are from out of town storing their stuff until they find a place to live. Many are decluttering while trying to sell their homes. The majority of our rentals are for just 30 days. Most of the Public Storage locations in my district are in the 80+ percent occupied range. Honestly, I agree with We vs us, I hate seeing them, they seem to be everywhere. But until people start losing their need for massive amounts of stuff, usually worth a fraction of what they are spending to store all that shit, the demand for storage dumps will continue to grow. At least the older land hogging facilities like the Security Self Storage above are being replaced by more modern, multi floor facilities that are less land hogging, unlike mine which requires a golf cart to get around. But I am out in the country at least.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:34 AM

They should have a goodwill adjacent to every storage unit complex. That way, when people eventually get tired of paying to store stuff they never use, it will be easy as pie to donate it next door.

Not that I'm knocking them completely, I've used one for business and one during a house move. But both move-outs were accompanied by some significant downsizing of "stuff" to the local thrift store.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
They should have a goodwill adjacent to every storage unit complex. That way, when people eventually get tired of paying to store stuff they never use, it will be easy as pie to donate it next door.

Not that I'm knocking them completely, I've used one for business and one during a house move. But both move-outs were accompanied by some significant downsizing of "stuff" to the local thrift store.
The majority of abandoned goods (the shit folks leave behind) are DNA stained mattresses that not even all the Salvation Armys or Goodwills in all of Austin would even think of accepting. Of the two organizations, I believe the Salvation Army will go to the customer's storage unit and pick up decent unwanted items. Most of the time I have to pay someone to haul the junk away that gets left behind.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:53 PM
Meh

The site plan for 218 South Lamar was posted to the AULCC page today. This is replacing the Schlotzky's. The elevations show it at 115 feet to the elevator penthouse with 7 floors.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../200305/PLANS/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin