HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Woolworth Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 8:26 AM

I love Woolworth! It just might be my favorite skyscraper of all.

The pictures in this thread have been a real treat.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:39 PM

I'm all for the renovation. I miss the days when skyscrapers have been much more than simple overregulated cash makers - when they were much more intricate on the interior, whether that intricacy meant signature glamour (like what they're trying to restore) or demand-driven grit (like barber shops on top of this beauty).

For some reason I have never been a big fan of Woolworth. Maybe it's the awkward massing that's very inappropriate for the graceful soaring tower that so many claim it is. maybe I'm just disappointed that it's on the fringe of Downtown, and getting it inside a very dense cluster would be pretty difficult (though doable). Maybe it's because the technically simple, though very ornate and delicate, sloped green roof on top of its soaring vertical white lines just looks too prosaic. however, I have always had and will have enormous admiration of the great craft that the architects put in its decoration, something that is no longer done and something that I don't see making a return.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 3:22 AM
The True Avatar

One of the best buildings in the world. Cass Gilberts best piece of work.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 3:52 PM
Lets Go Mets 2009 !!!

OK you guys convinced me -- I'm gonna buy a place in the Woolworth Building.

Lecom -- I know what you mean -- the bulk of the base is kinda awkward -- The Woolworth is definitely meant to be seen from the front. But none the less I love it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:20 PM

Some of my shots

The view that is now blocked by 10 Barclay

A gem by any standard.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:58 PM

Woolworth Building

One of my favorites along with Empire State, Chrysler, and 30 rockefeller center (GE Building).
They don't make them like that anymore!

Entrance

Lobby

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wonderful photos of one of my favourites of all time.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post

A gem by any standard.
Nice detail...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 1:21 AM

Lobby
[/QUOTE]

I never have seen the inside.its gorgous!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 1:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotjetlag View Post
Need to get some black&whites of this one...great shot

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 10:02 AM

The Woolworth has been my favorite skyscraper ever since I first laid eyes on it in person. I think the renovation sounds great as it will add to the health and longevity of the building.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 9:51 PM
New Yorker for life

http://curbed.com/archives/2007/10/0...eover.php#more

Curbed Inside: The Woolworth Building's Makeover

October 9, 2007
by Lockhart

[Near the top of the Woolworth Building. Be very afraid.]

Cass Gilbert's legendary Woolworth Building, completed in 1913 at 233 Broadway, has somehow withstood the test of time—barely. Beset by cut-rate lobby renovations, bad terra-cotta patchings, and the economic need to squeeze as much rent as possible out of an aging office building, the old lady is showing her age. Which is why the news that the top 25 floors of the Woolworth Building would be made over into "the financial district's first office tower with a country club's exclusivity—and perhaps its extraordinary membership fees," as the NYT put it, exploded across our retinas with the glare of a thousand suns. A commercial country club for the hedge fund set? In the Woolworth Building? Really?

Well, yes, actually. Those were the words of Randy Gerner, a principal at GKV Architects, the firm overseeing the Woolworth's high-end makeover. How about coming over for an exclusive look at the work so far? he asked. Well hell yes, we replied, as soon as we realized we'd not only get to look at floors closed to the public for years, but even make it all the way to the wraparound rooftop cupola at the very top of the building's 62 habitable floors. And so we did.

47th floor elevator bank.

Our tour began on the 47th floor, high above where the renovation begins. They're fully gutting floors 30 through 62, while firms on lower floors, like that open to the public this past weekend at Open House New York, remain open. Gerner and Co. won the project after outlining this vision to the owners, but Gerner's fondness for the Woolworth building is clear—as was that of our other tour guide, the building's unofficial historian, Roy Suskin.

View upwards from 47.

The upper floors at this point are almost fully gutted, with a hole being carved through each of them for a new elevator. Here, we're looking up from the 47th floor through the floors above. At this level, there's about 5000 to 6000 square feet of rentable space; as the building narrows, upper floors have far less. They'll be used for amenity space, which we assume will include lapdances. And yes, they're remaking Woolworth's private swimming pool in the basement for use as well.

At the 50th floor.

Ascending from the 50th floor.

Collected detritus.

The slot cut for the new elevator to-be.

Wall of windows on the climb towards the 62nd floor.

From here, a spiral staircase leads further up.

As the paint chips away, signatures from the original Woolworth construction team are viewable anew.

Hallway just below the cupola.

The spiral staircase to the top.

And out into one of the most stunning wrap-around views of New York City you'll ever see.

The terrace, which will become a private observatory deck for tenants, was opened to the public until the start of World War I. It's been closed since. We'll have many more views from here, and the outdoor terrace on the 43rd floor as well, later this week.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 1:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^extremely cool tour!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:10 AM

cheers to one helluva building! great threat, awesome buidling and beautiful pics.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:03 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

"The terrace, which will become a private observatory deck for tenants, was opened to the public until the start of World War I. It's been closed since. We'll have many more views from here, and the outdoor terrace on the 43rd floor as well, later this week."

I was gonna say - if the only photo of the view from the top was that little peek at the end, there was gonna be h#ll to pay!

"I never have seen the inside.its gorgous!"

If you ever get a chance, when they reopen - even to step inside for a quick glance before security chases you out, do it. It's absolutely exquisite.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 8:12 PM
New Yorker for life

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/02/2...ilding.php?o=9

Curbed Inside (Out): The Woolworth Building

Friday, February 22, 2008, by Lockhart

Back in the hazy days of July 2007, we toured the upper floors of the Woolworth Building, architect Cass Gilbert's downtown masterpiece that's graced the skyline since 1913. At the time, we promised pictures from two excursions outside the building—one, a trip to the 63rd floor observation deck in the crown of the building, closed to the public since the dawn of World War II; the second, a look at the broad, terra-cotta clad balcony on the 43rd floor. Both were, in their own way, astounding. We decided to wait to publish these pictures until our photogallery tool was ready to roll—and now that it is, what better day than a snowy, cold February Friday to journey 792 feet in the sky?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 5:49 AM

Wow! The Singer Building too. Those pre-depression pictures are fascinating.

jodelli

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 9:25 AM
Registirred User

What happened to the building across the street from the Woolworth in this picture? (the one in front of City Hall)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthq View Post
What happened to the building across the street from the Woolworth in this picture? (the one in front of City Hall)

...it's the City Hall Post Office.
Considered as old fashioned and a eyesore, it was demolished just before the New-York World fair.

Last edited by Victor Horta; Apr 13, 2008 at 12:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture