HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 12:50 AM
Project manger

B.C. Interior and Okanagan urban Thread

Thought we could have a spot for all those other cities and towns with in OUR area of the province. From Clearwater to Osoyoos and Salmon Arm to Lytton. There is always something going on in these places but little discussing it.
Its a great place to share your thoughts on these locations and your images of them as well.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 12:54 AM
Project manger

Crews start prep work on $5.4M bridge to replace problem culvert in Cache Creek

Prep work is underway on a new four-lane bridge spanning Cache Creek, which is expected to accommodate high water and prevent flooding.

The $5.4-million project will “improve the resilience and reliability of the vital Highway 97 corridor,” according to the provincial government.

The bridge project was announced in September following calls from municipal officials in Cache Creek. Preparation work is now underway, including the relocation of a water main in advance of bridge construction.

“During the coming months, construction crews will continue work at the site, such as construction of the bridge and realigning and widening the creek,” the province said in a statement.

The bridge will replace a culvert that frequently becomes jammed with debris, which can cause flooding. Cache Creek saw devastating flooding earlier this year when the culvert became blocked.

Cache Creek Mayor John Ranta previously told Castanet he’s hopeful work crews will have the culvert removed in time for spring’s high water.

CASTANET

recent flooding :

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 4:40 PM
Project manger

Five-storey apartment complex planned for Main Street in Sicamous

A five-storey apartment complex is planned for Main Street in Sicamous.

Western Canadian Properties Group won the bid to develop the district-owned site at 425 Main St.

Sicamous will provide the land for a token $1 to get it developed.

The company is seeking a 10-year tax holiday and waived development cost charges.

The developers and district would enter into a covenant that would allow Sicamous to legally have some control over the use of the property for up to 20 years.

Part of that deal would also mandate tenants' incomes be tested against Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation affordability criteria for 80% of the units.

The building would have a split of two- and one-bedroom apartments to be rented at market rates. There would also be retail on the ground floor and stand-alone garages built at the back of the property to be rented out for additional income.

Mayor Colleen Anderson was clear in her support for the project.

“This is one of our strategic priorities, adding space to Sicamous. Having a developer come in and develop it and property manage it, bringing $50 million in our community,” Anderson said.

Western Canadian Properties vice-president Jim Ferrie said that he wants to start construction in the spring, with completion 12 to 14 months later.

Rents will range from $1,700 to $1,900 a month for two-bedroom units, and $1,200 to $1,400 for one bedroom, said Ferrie.

Coun. Ian Baillie was the lone voice expressing concern about the project.

“I want to really like this project, but I have a lot of concerns around the land transfer. I have a lot of concerns around where the rent starts. I have a lot of concerns around the incentives, how much that costs. I mean, my calculation on the back of a napkin was in excess of $2 million,” said Baillie.

“I also have, frankly, a lot of concern that ... this project isn't what we talked about to the community. It just isn't.”

Baillie said he’s not sure the project is a good fit for Sicamous

“I don't think this aligns to where the community wants us to be. I don't think this is meeting what their expectations of us are,” he said.

Council agreed in principle to the proposal.

PRIOR PROJECT PRODUCED BY WESTERN CANDIAN PROPERTIES

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 5:21 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Good idea for a thread, RHINO.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 11:19 PM
Project manger

Construction to begin this summer on Merritt highway rest stop redevelopment

Construction is expected to start this summer on an ambitious project that aims to bolster First Nations economic development in Merritt.

Gateway 286 is a project slated to take shape on 29 acres of land near the old Merritt visitor information centre — a project that will include a 30,000-square-foot commercial centre featuring restaurants, retail, fuel, a dog park and Western Canada’s largest electric vehicle charging station, according to developers.

On Tuesday, Spayum Holdings and Troika PR Gateway announced they had completed a development agreement for the first phase of the project.

“This is an important milestone for Nicola Valley First Nations, who have invested so much time and effort over the past decade to bring this important initiative to life,” said Susan Roline, former Merritt mayor and chair of Spayum Holdings, a company created by five Nicola Valley bands — Coldwater Indian Band, Lower Nicola Indian Band, Nooaitch Indian Band, Shaken Indian Band and Upper Nicola Indian Band — to develop the project.

“There is more work to do but with the formal commitments contained here, our partner communities are able to see real economic opportunities coming closer to fruition.”

The Merritt visitor information centre was closed in 2018 and, in 2020, the provincial government transferred the land to the five bands.

Not much has happened since then, aside from an announcement in 2022 that site cleanup and prep work had begun.

LNIB Chief Stuart Jackson, speaking on behalf of Spayum Holdings, said the project has been 30 years in the making for Merritt-area First Nations.

“Gateway 286 will provide employment and revenue to our five communities and in addition this development will provide a vital transportation hub for all the east and westbound traffic on Highway 5,” he said.

Seven acres of the Spayum Holdings property has been earmarked for the first phase of the project. According to the developers, a permit application will be filed at Merritt city hall in the coming months and construction is expected to begin over the summer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 11:51 PM
be nice to the crackheads

About time. That old rest stop was crazy popular in the summer.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 2:50 AM

It’s about time! I could not believe the old visitor centre closed down and I still can’t believe you need to go INTO Merritt city centre to get gas. Nowhere else in the world does a junction city function so terribly. This will be a game changer.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
It’s about time! I could not believe the old visitor centre closed down and I still can’t believe you need to go INTO Merritt city centre to get gas. Nowhere else in the world does a junction city function so terribly.
Uhhhh.... gotta call you on that one.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Uhhhh.... gotta call you on that one.
Ok obviously it’s an over exaggeration. If you’re heading to Kamloops it’s fine, gas stations are right off the highway. But if you’re taking the Kelowna exit, you gotta drive into the city for fuel and/or food.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 8:48 AM

First, shameless plug, my video from this summer about the variety of film locations in BC. All my own footage. Lots of shots of the Fraser Canyon and the Okanagan / Kelowna area.

Video Link

And second, last time in Penticton I was surprised to see a new mid rise project going up in the southern end of town.

Any info on that?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 4:41 PM
Project manger

Ive actually seen one of your vide all ready lol, FANTASTIC JOB I believe it was yours... It was around the Kamloops area ( Thompson canyon ) .

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 10:11 AM

Thanks! If its no bother please subscribe and share too. It's tough out there in YouTube land, haha!

And yeah, that was a scenery video I did of the beautiful Fraser Canyon.

I hope to be back in the area this summer, and will be sure to get some Kamloops shots this time too!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 7:27 PM
Project manger

Summerland council clears first hurdles for proposed downtown hotel, apartment complex

The first hurdles have been cleared towards a potential new hotel and apartment complex in downtown Summerland.

At Tuesday's meeting, Summerland council green-lit Official Community Plan amendments for 9514 and 9518 Julia Street and 14406 and 14408 Rosedale Avenue, and also gave third reading to a zoning amendment for the properties, all in line with the proposed high-density residential development.

The district will still need to reach an agreement with the developer regarding an entry plaza parking area on the northwest corner of Rosedale Avenue and Highway 97.

While the hotel-apartment complex is still in preliminary development stages, and no development permits has been issued, council appeared interested in the concept.

"The opportunity for a hotel has been here for a long time. And I think that this this particular location is a very good location," said Coun. Janet Peake.

"We have a lot of people who work here who actually don't have a place to live, they actually commute from elsewhere. We need more rental housing, this would be a great opportunity to have a new building."

Council voted unanimously to move forward. The zoning amendment will be discussed again at a later meeting before adoption.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:29 PM

That project looks haunted.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 11:43 PM
Project manger

Either haunted of escaped the cutting room floor from the AH HA video of take on me.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 8:12 PM
Project manger

Salmon Arm committee recommends moving forward on 420 unit residential building

The Salmon Arm Development and Services committee has voted in favour of moving a rezoning application for a proposed 420-unit multi-family development forward to council for approval.

The developer is asking for a zoning change to accommodate the high density residential development, planned for a site at Okanagan Avenue and 11th Street.

The property is currently split into three lots, which will be consolidated into a single property for the development of apartment buildings.

The proposal also comes with several 219 title covenants from the city, restricting the developer from getting a development permit until certain conditions are met. These conditions include completion of a traffic impact assessment, access from the property to the adjacent greenway trail, placement of a community storm pond and a small portion of land necessary for the city to complete upgrades to 3rd Avenue.

Challenges to developing the property include these conditions, as well as the steep topography of the land.

Another developer tried to construct townhouses on the property in 2020, but were unable to follow through on the conditions put forward by the city.

Representatives from Franklin Engineering attended the meeting to explain the preliminary development proposal to the committee.

The developer is planning to construct several five storey apartment buildings with underground parking. The proposed development would include up to 420 residential units.

One of the reasons efforts to develop on this property have failed in the past is due to problems with traffic going through the intersection of 11th Street and Okanagan Avenue.

“The issue is that 11th and Okanagan, the sight lines at that intersection are very poor. And so the new development plan or the proposed plan is to have the development exit onto Okanagan, further away from that intersection,” said Robert Niewenhuizen, the city's director of engineering.

“So the sight lines are better and then there's also the opportunity to funnel traffic down Third Avenue South East to 10th Street or into the community.”

Committee members support zoning change
Coun. Kevin Flynn supported the rezoning amendment, saying he believes in the importance of this particular property.

“And as I said right at the start, this is probably one of the most important pieces of property in our community for density, and it's also probably one of the most difficult, so I will vote in favour of the rezoning," Flynn said.

Coun. Sylvia Lindren said she was happy to see the zoning change to the higher density R-5, although she noted she had some concerns about the development.

“I would love to see trees retained if they can be, for there to be buffers between neighbouring properties and for there to be less ground covered with asphalt if possible,” she said.

“And the way to do that, of course, is what I've been advocating for in many of the developments is to build up instead of out.”

Lindgren said the R-5 zoning will allow the developer to build higher, which she believes is better for the community.

“I'm also going to vote in favor of moving this forward,” Lindgren said.

“I think that I'll have some significant concerns that I would like addressed or I’d like to investigate more as we get to the next stages of this development, but at this stage, I'm happy to forward it.”

This is one of the first development projects going in front of council members amid changes to the development process brought on through new provincial legislation.

Due to those changes, once council decides to give first reading to the zoning bylaw it will give notice to adjacent property owners but there will be no public hearing.

When council approves the first reading, it will have the option to also do second and third reading, which would pass the bylaw.

Coun. Tim Lavery expressed support for the zoning amendment, even though he didn’t support the previous development on the property. He said the last proposal requested an R-4 designation.

“R-4 is the wrong designation for this property. That's why our official community plan says R-5," he said.

Lavery noted the property is complex and "extremely expensive" to develop.

“It's extremely expensive for the owner and developers to make this work. You have to have density to make it work. I like what I see as far as the density goes.”

Mayor Allan Harrison said he believes the covenants will take care of most of council’s concerns about the development.

“I think the other piece I just want to talk about is our hillsides. ...55 per cent of this property is developable so that means 45 per cent is not, because it's too steep,” Harrison said.

He added this is "a good thing" for high buildings.

“Those high buildings are not going to be seen by the people that live above them," he said.

“So it's actually ideal. We would be making a mistake to go lower density in my opinion on this particular property, ideal for high density."

The motion to recommend the rezoning application to Salmon Arm council was passed unanimously.

The zoning amendment is expected to go in front of council again at its Feb. 26 council meeting.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:19 AM
Project manger

Barriere

Barriere Paradigm Building Solutions to build new 30,000 square-foot facility

Paradigm Building Solutions is getting ready to expand.

The Barriere business recently announced plans for the construction of a state-of-the-art, 30,000 square-foot manufacturing facility in Louis Creek Industrial Park. The building will feature new manufacturing space, a warehouse and serve as the company’s new corporate headquarters.

“We are extremely thankful for the support, commitment and co-operation we have received from the district staff, mayor and council, and the community,” Paradigm CEO Philipp Gruner said in a press release.

“With just over 65 staff, we have become a major employer in the region, and we take pride in the fact that 99 percent of our manufacturing staff in Barriére are residents.

“This investment reinforces our dedication to the District of Barriere for years to come.”

Paradigm’s mission is to produce high quality, energy efficient and sustainable buildings, including the high energy-efficient StokedLiving development planned for Revelstoke.

Paradigm says its homes consume only 10 per cent of the energy compared to a conventionally constructed one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia