HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
That's what I hear from the proponents.
Well now we find out if this is the "release day" I hope so, looking forward to seeing the functional drawings!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 3:03 PM

Well I guess January 21st Date did not come to fruition. Oh well the wait continues.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 5:14 PM

Looks like Google Maps really wants us to be driving on the West Bypass too... I have reported the mistake to them.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Looks like Google Maps really wants us to be driving on the West Bypass too... I have reported the mistake to them.

As have I!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:22 PM

I thought it was supposed to be open?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I thought it was supposed to be open?
Unfortunatly the West bypass, though mostly paved from Trans Canada to the CP Rail Bridge, is not open. As the Remainder from the CP Rail Bridge to dewdney will be part of the phase to highway 11. Including the two interchanges at Dewdney and Rotary Ave. Which is good as it would be massive headache of detours whilst they build the interchanges anyway. So while I wish it was open it is better to wait, the ministry of highways is being smart in this.

The WRB is expected to be open in 2017 from TCH to Highway 11, along with the overpasses east at Balgonie and White City.. With the remainder of the bypass to open to traffic in 2018.

I do wish there were traffic lights at Pinky and Dewdney however.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I do wish there were traffic lights at Pinky and Dewdney however.
Assuming someday Pinkie from Dewdney to Sherwood is upgraded, I could see lights being installed then. Or if the new Horizons commercial development happens - whichever comes first, it's likely inevitable there will be lights there at some point.

I cringe at the thought of semi traffic still using that corridor if Horizons/Westerra happens. Construction vehicles and semi's combined w/normal traffic - sound familiar? (Lewvan & #1 not that long ago)

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Assuming someday Pinkie from Dewdney to Sherwood is upgraded, I could see lights being installed then. Or if the new Horizons commercial development happens - whichever comes first, it's likely inevitable there will be lights there at some point.

I cringe at the thought of semi traffic still using that corridor if Horizons/Westerra happens. Construction vehicles and semi's combined w/normal traffic - sound familiar? (Lewvan & #1 not that long ago)
Yes, well I am thinking Pinky will be upgraded to Sherwood soon, at least I can only hope. I use that road a lot and it is in TERRIBLE shape. The railroad crossing with CN you literally need to drive 5 km/h over it, or risk destroying your suspension.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:24 AM

Google Maps

Ok we need to all contact Google Maps regarding them showing the west bypass as complete. I've now TWICE been denied me indicating to them that this roadway is under construction and not in use because they have no proof. Where did they get proof that it's open??

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Ok we need to all contact Google Maps regarding them showing the west bypass as complete. I've now TWICE been denied me indicating to them that this roadway is under construction and not in use because they have no proof. Where did they get proof that it's open??
One Earth view it shows the Orange Line, however on the map view it shows a dashed line.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
One Earth view it shows the Orange Line, however on the map view it shows a dashed line.
It's been updated (and removed). I sent them the PDF regarding the bypass project and indicated this is a piece of the larger bypass project scheduled to open (all at once) in 2018. Obviously that worked!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:28 PM

I know this isn't as exciting news as seeing the functional drawings, but most landowners have been given until the end of this week to accept the second offer for the land acquisition or to force it to be expropriated. I know there are 10 land owners or so that are going to see if they can benefit by going to court. Either way the land should start belonging to the department of highways soon.

The other thing is a lot of the companies competing on the project seem to be struggling to find dirt to build the bypass with just due to the volume of dirt they actually need. I was told by one of the contractors that they need to mine more than 160 acres 7 meters deep to get the dirt that they require for the project.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM

I don't know why people go through the expropriation process. 9 times out of 10 they don't get a better deal than they were offered before and they wasted a ton of time and money trying to fight it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:49 PM

Some people are doing it hoping to get more money. Others still don't like the route and are holding onto the dream the the route will change even though a lot of pre-construction work is being done on this route. In my situation both appraisals given to me by highways came back as the exact dollar amount so the land agent told me a judge reviewing it in expropriation probably would not change the land value. He said a judge could change the amount of severance you are paid based on how the highway affects access to the land but at the same time a judge could decide you deserve less money as severance.

I also got information from one of the farmers that is still fighting in court over the land taken for the Pinkie and #1 highway overpass and he says he has been fighting for 6 years and all he has gained is legal bills. I expect the outcome to be no different for the people who are going to try to fight this portion of the bypass as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerF View Post
Some people are doing it hoping to get more money. Others still don't like the route and are holding onto the dream the the route will change even though a lot of pre-construction work is being done on this route. In my situation both appraisals given to me by highways came back as the exact dollar amount so the land agent told me a judge reviewing it in expropriation probably would not change the land value. He said a judge could change the amount of severance you are paid based on how the highway affects access to the land but at the same time a judge could decide you deserve less money as severance.

I also got information from one of the farmers that is still fighting in court over the land taken for the Pinkie and #1 highway overpass and he says he has been fighting for 6 years and all he has gained is legal bills. I expect the outcome to be no different for the people who are going to try to fight this portion of the bypass as well.
Yes, Legal Bills vs the cost savings end up I would guess more or less equalizing. Making it fruitless. I mean there is a sense of pride and longing to keep the land. I understand that. However, sometimes just better to accept and move on.

However, there are cases where you can win battles too. Such as the Farmers who live at the end of the runway at Narita Airport in Japan. That and the Toho Shrine. The taxiways go around their property and the state built them a road underneath a taxiway to get to their property. Quite comical really, and considering the size of the airport and frequency of landings, noisy as one can imagine:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nar...6e29a162771aa1

To each their own, but it looks like this is a done deal, they are just tying up "loose ends"

And Hell that is a lot of dirt. But I think we all knew that... Why not remove the pimple from Dundurn? Haha.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I don't know why people go through the expropriation process. 9 times out of 10 they don't get a better deal than they were offered before and they wasted a ton of time and money trying to fight it.
EXACTLY!!!!

I know a guy whose land will be used for an interchange within that project. He said that if he were to fight for more money, what he would have gained would have ended up as legal fees. It would have been all-for-naught.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, Legal Bills vs the cost savings end up I would guess more or less equalizing. Making it fruitless. I mean there is a sense of pride and longing to keep the land. I understand that. However, sometimes just better to accept and move on.

However, there are cases where you can win battles too. Such as the Farmers who live at the end of the runway at Narita Airport in Japan. That and the Toho Shrine. The taxiways go around their property and the state built them a road underneath a taxiway to get to their property. Quite comical really, and considering the size of the airport and frequency of landings, noisy as one can imagine:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Nar...6e29a162771aa1
That is interesting - apparently Japan has very weak eminent domain legislation vs. Canada and the US that have very clear legislation and clear processes. Meaning this can happen in Japan but would never happen here - unless government completely muffs it and doesn't follow clear legislated processes like giving landowners the right to challenge.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:15 PM

CJME News just stated that the Regina by-pass project will be affected by the drop in oil revenues. ( . . . but I'd bet that the price will start to rise within a year or so.)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:25 PM

I expect that cost to more or less equal out as the equipment costs will be lower in the beginning and higher in the end. But will get built.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:41 PM

http://cjme.com/story/video-pa-mayor...-regina/528700

VIDEO: P.A. mayor takes shots at Saskatoon, Regina

Dionne takes jab at Saskatoon's bridges, mayor Atchison's weight, Regina's bypass

Reported by Thia James

First Posted: Jan 30, 2015 7:32am | Last Updated: Jan 30, 2015 8:15am

Mayor Greg Dionne will not be attending the mayors' caucus at this year’s Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association (SUMA) convention in Saskatoon next week.

Prince Albert’s mayor made this announcement during his third State of the City address on Thursday, and in the midst of it, took a jab at Saskatoon Mayor Don Atchison, criticizing his weight, as he took a swipe at the Bridge City’s push for its new commuter bridges.

“You got nine other bridges, you can wait a couple more years, you whined about these ones for the last couple, that’s why the river level came up. But you know, you can walk a little and maybe the mayor there will lose some weight, if he didn’t have to walk out of his office. That’s why he’s heavier than me, because he walks out of his office 10 feet and he’s on a bridge,” Dionne said, drawing laughter and collective groans from the audience of about 350 in the Ches Leach Lounge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan