HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Crown Las Vegas in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Las Vegas Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 1:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Las Vegas Tower. Hope that's just a working name (not that the other was
much better). It's really not all that bad, though I don't see it getting built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Why do people propose such extravagant buildings in places where they are not needed. Don’t get me wrong I love the design... but I doubt this thing will be built.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Why do people propose such extravagant buildings in places where they are not needed.
Really, really large hotels are needed in Vegas and are the engine that drives the economy here. But, they are quickly running out of land with strip frontage large enough to accommodate the big wide boxy buildings of the past. It was just a matter of time before they started to go higher in order to have the room count they need to make a project of this size feasible.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 3:43 PM

Certainly the information provided yesterday sheds alot more light on this project. It looks better with the newly provided renderings(not that I thought it was bad to begin with). If it can be built anywhere it is Vegas(both economically and aesthetically IMO). with the desert setting it really does eerily seem like somthing that would be equally at home in Dubai.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 8:54 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I would honestly consider suicide if thewtb was in Vegas.
Well, you don't have to worry, there will still be some buildings taller than this one. It will never be the tallest building in the world. You can still live!!!!

I think the design is great! A nice and 'different' design for the USA. still is wide too until the very top.... it's not like a little thin needle. I really hope this is built. Plus, if most people are unaware, Las Vegas has been the fastest growing city in the United States for years now. They need and deserve something that will really put their skyline on the map.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 8:57 PM

the Statrosphere Tower is on the north end of the strip near commercial downtown. a good bit away from the airport. is this where this is proposed???
Georgia 2006 - 9,363,941

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:01 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
honestly if Las Vegas was going to attempt 1,888 ft., I think this is about as hideous and tastless as it can get, especially when vegas is trying to redefine its image as a classier city, this would be suicide.
Don't you think Chicago and NYC are classy? And they are the other cities with all of the tallest buildings in our country. .... if you don't think so, then what is a 'classy city' in your example? A little country town with a 40ft tallest building?

Building a taller building does not take away any class. It has nothing much to do with it in my opinion. This is good for Vegas becuase it's different, and again... the population is growing vastly and there is less room to build more hotels with all the people living there. It would be nice to see a tall building there. In addition, this builiding makes sense to build in that city and in it's particular location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55 View Post
Don't you think Chicago and NYC are classy? And they are the other cities with all of the tallest buildings in our country. .... if you don't think so, then what is a 'classy city' in your example? A little country town with a 40ft tallest building?

Building a taller building does not take away any class. It has nothing much to do with it in my opinion. This is good for Vegas becuase it's different, and again... the population is growing vastly and there is less room to build more hotels with all the people living there. It would be nice to see a tall building there. In addition, this builiding makes sense to build in that city and in it's particular location.
I don't believe he was referring to height when he made this comment but his dissatisfaction with the design. Do correct if I'm wrong though...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWNANGuy View Post
the Statrosphere Tower is on the north end of the strip near commercial downtown. a good bit away from the airport. is this where this is proposed???
The Strat is just a couple blocks further north, as this render shows.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 11:18 PM

That is one spectacular tower. Hope it gets built.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 11:56 PM
Kicking a** since 1907

I like the design, don't love it, but what I do love about this building is that it would be taller then the freedom tower with out needing a massive spire to do it. I don't know what the deal is with NYC, the freedom tower, BOA tower, Times headquarters, they all have spires that are way too large.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Futuristic, I like it..just wish it was in Chicago Lucky Vegas, hope it gets built!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 6:30 PM

i dont think its tall enough such a simple design really reminds me of like the huge arcologies like the bionic tower... this should compete for wtb really...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:36 PM
Pacific Wonderland

^^ In the photo, what is that grey tower to the right of LVT? Looks to be 700+ feet at that scale.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
^^ In the photo, what is that grey tower to the right of LVT? Looks to be 700+ feet at that scale.
That's the Fontainebleau that Turnberry should start building real soon. It was originally supposed to be 1,070 feet, but got shortened to 735 feet. The county made them change the access too, so that delayed the start of construction a couple months, but the new plan just got approved.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Plus, if most people are unaware, Las Vegas has been the fastest growing city in the United States for years now. They need and deserve something that will really put their skyline on the map.

Fastest growing, but nowhere near the largest cities of the US. Still, I briefly lived in Las Vegas (long time ago) and the metro area is probably twice as large now as it was then.

Las Vegas is Las Vegas. It doesn't need anything else to put it on the map. Even a world's tallest would be lost in the background there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:14 AM
Frigidus Maximus

"As an aside, the height was kept below 2,000' to avoid compound FAA and FCC issues. There was no possibility to reach the height of BD (2,640' AGL = one-half mile) and remain efficient (we tried and it generated 6,500 appropriately sized keys) so a relavant height below 2,000' but above the Freedom Tower's 1,776' was selected. 1,888 is the year the Washington Monument was finally opened to the public, at that time the tallest made made structure in the world. Freedom Tower, in its third incarnation (the one that's being built) was designed by David Childs of SOM's New York office. Anyone familiar with the industry would also know the sub-text here; the unspoken competition between these two primary offices of the America's most storied architectural firm."

Anyone know what they mean by "it generated 6,500 appropriately sized keys" when they tried designing this tower to reach the height of the BD?

Anyway - so they based the height on the year the Washington Monument was completed, huh? Looks like Libeskind started an interesting trend...

Based on their comments regarding why they didn't design the thing to hit 2,000 feet at least (FAA & FCC issues), I don't think this country will see anything like the BD for a long, long time - if ever.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 4:25 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:

First of all, I am from New York, and I have been to Chicago, and they are very classy cities in my opinion. It is not the height that concerns me, even though Vegas is not in need of such a tall building right now. But the design is silly. It looks to me like a five-year old's rendition of a rocket ship. It's not just about Vegas, I would not want it built anywhere.

You cannot compare this design to the Sears Tower, Empire State Building, or even the Freedom Tower.

Also, Vegas is not ready for an almost-2,000-ft. tower. It needs to build up its shorter skyline first. New York and Chicago have vast bases of shorter and mid-height buildings to visually support a building of such significant height. Vegas needs to stop sprinting ahead, and take a little time to escape its old-time kitsch. A city of 500,000+ people needs a chance to turn into a real city besides a resort destination.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 4:28 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutthedog View Post
I don't believe he was referring to height when he made this comment but his dissatisfaction with the design. Do correct if I'm wrong though...
yea thats what i meant

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 6:03 AM

New York and Chicago are very classy cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
You cannot compare this design to the Sears Tower, Empire State Building, or even the Freedom Tower.
Those are office buildings with completely different aesthetic requirements than a resort. I think the design works just fine as a resort, in fact, with no garish colors it's actually a breath of fresh air.

Quote:
Also, Vegas is not ready for an almost-2,000-ft. tower. It needs to build up its shorter skyline first. New York and Chicago have vast bases of shorter and mid-height buildings to visually support a building of such significant height. Vegas needs to stop sprinting ahead, and take a little time to escape its old-time kitsch.
As shown in the CS thread, ESB, Sears and Hancock were all "sprints" at the time of their construction. In fact, they all still tower over their immediate neighbors and they are saying the same thing about CS. Look, the Strat is less than half a mile away from LVT and it's almost 1,200 feet tall and already has two sets of plans to go over 1,800 feet tall. The Fontainebleau going up right next door to LVT is nearly 800 feet and the approved Summit across Sahara Ave. is over 900 feet. There are already 8 towers around 500 feet tall within one block of LVT.

Quote:
A city of 500,000+ people needs a chance to turn into a real city besides a resort destination.
Actually, 1.7 million in the valley (LVT is not in the city limits) and soon will top 2 million. But, the valley is surrounded by mountains and protected National land, we need to go higher. Plus, the Strip is rapidly running out of empty land big enough for the old style big box mega resorts. This thing is on one of the last pieces of Strip frontage that doesn't require knocking something down to make a big resort. Plus, for a new player like Milam, he needs something really impressive to compete with the established gaming giants like Kerkorian, Wynn and Adelson. But, yeah, the design would be too eccentric for an office building. Maybe eventually other industries will start to recognize the incredible business friendly tax structure in Nevada and we'll start to get some tall office buildings. An 800+ foot tall office tower is slated for downtown as we speak.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive