HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 8:33 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
He's got a point. You can go weeks without updates or discussion on this site.

We're all pinning our hopes on the Frost Tower, and an unlikely to happen CPS building.
There's a ton of development occurring in the urban core and suburban areas of San Antonio. Tons and tons of stuff.

The only thing stopping people from discussing those developments is themselves.

It's pathetic and sad really.

Go to OKCTalk and see all the activity on that forum and they're literally talking about top golf and mini golf places and five story hotels and restaurants. But that board has members that care enough, even about those small minute developments, that they have constant discussions.

There's hundreds and hundreds of residential units being built in the urban core right now. Not a soul is discussing them.

There's three cranes in the skyline of the urban core, and no talk from anyone.

People want to bitch and complain and compare and that's when the discussions take off. That's again, sad and pathetic.

I try to do my best to stimulate this board by posting content and other things but alas, I think this board was more active when the Grand Hyatt was proposed and then Vidorra.

The amount of development in the urban core at the time was literally those two things. Yet, people were more engaged then they are now.

It is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 4:55 PM

The Mayor keeps making things happen...Lyft is coming back.

Quote:
“The new agreement with Lyft provides San Antonians with the ability to make an informed mobile transportation choice,” Mayor Ivy Taylor said in a press statement.

City Councilman Ron Nirenberg is hopeful San Antonio can put months of political posturing over ride sharing in the past and secure more transportation options for area residents and businesses.
http://m.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/...at-brings.html

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 3:47 AM
James

I'm a little confused as to how Ivy operates. She said she didn't want any of this stuff to happen and now she does... She's too wishy washy for me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I'm a little confused as to how Ivy operates. She said she didn't want any of this stuff to happen and now she does... She's too wishy washy for me.
Pretty sure she never said any of that.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Much has been written about the supposed preference of millennials to live in hip urban settings where cars are not necessary. Surveys of best cities for millennials invariably features places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston, cities that often are also favorites of the authors.

Yet there has been precious little support for such assertions. I asked demographer Wendell Cox to do a precise, up-to-date analysis of where this huge generation born between 1983 and 2003 actually resides. Using Census American Community Survey data, Cox has drawn an intriguing picture of millennial America, one that is often at odds with the conventional wisdom of many of their elders.

Equally surprising are those cities that have seen the largest increases in their millennial population. It is dogma among greens, urban pundits, planners and developers that the under 30 crowd doesn’t like what Grist called “sprawling car dependent cities.” Too bad no one told most millennials. For the most part, looking at America’s largest metro areas (the 52 metropolitan statistical areas with populations over a million) the fastest growth in millennial populations tend to be in the Sun Belt and Intermountain West. Leading the way is, San Antonio, Texas, where the 20 to 29 population grew 9.2% from 2010-13, an increase of 28,600.

Right behind it, also in the Sun Belt, are Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif. (8.3%); Orlando, Fla. (8.1%); and Miami (7.7%).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 3:27 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Pretty sure she never said any of that.
True, not those words. But Uber and Lyft were not even on her campaign when running for mayor. She wasn't going to even try to get them back, and now she is actively trying to get them back? I don't understand her at all.

And that's so awesome we had the largest millennial gain. Very exciting times.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 6:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Much has been written about the supposed preference of millennials to live in hip urban settings where cars are not necessary. Surveys of best cities for millennials invariably features places like New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Boston, cities that often are also favorites of the authors.

Yet there has been precious little support for such assertions. I asked demographer Wendell Cox to do a precise, up-to-date analysis of where this huge generation born between 1983 and 2003 actually resides. Using Census American Community Survey data, Cox has drawn an intriguing picture of millennial America, one that is often at odds with the conventional wisdom of many of their elders.

Equally surprising are those cities that have seen the largest increases in their millennial population. It is dogma among greens, urban pundits, planners and developers that the under 30 crowd doesn’t like what Grist called “sprawling car dependent cities.” Too bad no one told most millennials. For the most part, looking at America’s largest metro areas (the 52 metropolitan statistical areas with populations over a million) the fastest growth in millennial populations tend to be in the Sun Belt and Intermountain West. Leading the way is, San Antonio, Texas, where the 20 to 29 population grew 9.2% from 2010-13, an increase of 28,600.

Right behind it, also in the Sun Belt, are Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif. (8.3%); Orlando, Fla. (8.1%); and Miami (7.7%).
That's great for San Antonio, and I really mean that. But using percentage of population increase doesn't really tell the story correctly. Marfa could have 50% growth in the 20-29 demographic but only gain a dozen or so people. And metro growth numbers are more valid because (for example) Boston's population is only 14% of its metro population whereas San Antonio's is 63% of its metro.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 1:02 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That's great for San Antonio, and I really mean that. But using percentage of population increase doesn't really tell the story correctly. Marfa could have 50% growth in the 20-29 demographic but only gain a dozen or so people. And metro growth numbers are more valid because (for example) Boston's population is only 14% of its metro population whereas San Antonio's is 63% of its metro.
Upon reading it again I stand corrected (by myself). The statistic apparently did use the MSA.

I'll leave my original mistake up in plain view for all the see because I'm not ashamed of making a mistake.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 3:46 PM

San Antonio is set to deliver as much new industrial space as Dallas and more than Houston, Austin, or El Paso in 2015.

Quote:
Of Texas' 1.4 billion-square-foot market, San Antonio is set to deliver nearly 700,000 square feet more with some of the developments underway. That's roughly the same amount of new product that Dallas has in the pipeline, but a healthy distance ahead of what Houston, Austin, McAllen and El Paso have in theirs. To put that in perspective, Austin has just a bit shy of 500,000 square feet of industrial space under construction, and El Paso has about 150,000 square feet that will soon hit the market.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...s-up-with.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:08 AM

CPS Energy’s CEO to resign

Just an update to these earlier postings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Yes, that's what the article said they would do; vote on it the following day. The board was very interested in retaining him. What wasn't known is if it would be unanimous given the current mayor's bid to win re-election. Would she make some sort of stand given that she threw rail under the bus? (Which is now left to the voter's to decide, essentially limiting it from happening.) She did not.

If I'm not mistaken, there might still be some public forum needed and Beneby would need to officially accept the offer. I had not heard that he had done that.

http://www.therivardreport.com/cps-e...y-a-big-raise/
CPS Energy Board Gives Beneby a Big Raise
and now the update...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...gn-6438934.php
By Vicki Vaughan Updated 9:49 pm, Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Quote:
Doyle Beneby, who steered CPS Energy through a tumultuous time since he joined the utility five years ago, will resign effective Sept. 30, he said Tuesday.
Beneby said he has accepted another offer, but he declined to say for the present what his new post will be.
Will he be involved in a big decision to move their headquarters before he resigns? He was championing a new tower, would his replacement carry that much weight as an incoming CEO?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 1:28 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Just an update to these earlier postings:

and now the update...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...gn-6438934.php
By Vicki Vaughan Updated 9:49 pm, Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Will he be involved in a big decision to move their headquarters before he resigns? He was championing a new tower, would his replacement carry that much weight as an incoming CEO?
Hopefully, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't sound too good when the one person who was championing a project leaves for another job and we haven't heard any new details in a while about the headquarters. Maybe we will hear something soon. You would think most of the competitors would have designed or be working on it right now, but, like I said, we haven't hard anything new yet so I'm not sure about the fate of the project.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 7:46 PM

The CPS HQ project is moving forward.

CPS will choose from three sites and the decision will be made at the end of the year.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:07 PM
James

Quote:
The CPS HQ project is moving forward.

CPS will choose from three sites and the decision will be made at the end of the year.
Well that's good news, hopefully the new CEO will decide on something soon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:55 PM

From the Business Journal article:
Quote:
Beneby told the San Antonio Business Journal that CPS Energy will make the choice for a new headquarters building from three possible sites but a final decision is not expected until the end of the year.
CPS Energy is looking to either renovate its current headquarters along the River Walk or to find or build a new location in the "urban core" of San Antonio. Beneby said the goal is to spur economic development in the downtown area and that the search for such a site will continue without him.
By the time they choose a new CEO, the end of the year is probably soon enough.

A little of the same from a different source:
http://www.therivardreport.com/cps-e...eby-resigning/
IRIS DIMMICK on 12 August, 2015 at 13:09
Quote:
CPS Energy will continue with plans to either build a new downtown headquarters, buy an existing property to relocate or renovate its current buildings. Commercial real estate sources say Beneby seemed to be leaning toward a newly constructed headquarters rather than purchasing the former AT&T towers on McCullough Avenue or renovating its existing buildings on Navarro Street.

The speculation about a new headquarters for CPS Energy has been the subject of speculation now for more than two years. Beneby’s planned departure will probably lead to further delays in any decision.
Not surprised the old att campus was mentioned, it's a good location.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:47 PM

Live Nation coming to Aztec

This is great news for the San Antonio music scene and a huge missed opportunity for iheartradio. Someone needs to get them on program.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...n-antonio.html

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 12:19 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

We may be witnessing the changing of the guard in Central Texas (a bit earlier than we expected).

A first, Austin beats San Antonio's hotel business

*One positive note...Both San Antonio and Austin have half (or almost half) the "hotel" business as Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston - two metros with at or almost three times the number of people in their metro areas.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:29 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Austin Convention Center expansion seen as 'threat' to San Antonio
W. Scott Baily
Austin Business Journal
Aug 26, 2015, 9:21am CDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...as-threat.html

Quote:
If Austin carries through with plans to significantly expand its convention center, San Antonio could find itself in a more intense battle for tourism and hospitality business with a well-armed competitor 70 miles away.
I've never been sold on the location of this Hemisfair civic park, even though I live close to it. I still believe that the existing structures would be better served as part an even larger convention center or entertainment structure. Maybe if this convention center was the lone wolf in the region it might suit us fine, but in light of this news, shouldn't we reconsider demolishing the older part of the convention center? Once that park is there, there will be no additional room for expansion. I'm not well informed as to whether or not the powers that be took this potential competition with Austin into consideration, but this news certainly has me hoping that it will give pause to this part of the redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:18 PM

I'm chalking this comment up to an hasty analysis of the situation and the false perception that Austin's success is somehow a problem for San Antonio. The fact is Austin is enjoying this growth because people want to move/visit the city. Instead of whining over Austin's success and shooting ourselves in the foot, we need to improve our urban core and define/redefine what makes San Antonio great.

This goes back to what I said in the off-topic thread; the 20th century was harsh for progress in SA and we have to dig ourselves out of a huge hole, but that doesn't mean we can't become great. Lastly, the idea of reconnecting Lavaca with downtown via the hemisfair park redevelopment is vastly dependent on the civic park portion of the park. I have to disagree whole heartily on your statement that we should discontinue progress because of what Austin is doing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:21 PM
James

From what I remember is that they wanted to incorporate the Alamodome for space as well. Am I mistaken on this?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:37 PM

Speaking of the convention center maybe this idea would not be bad?

http://www.ksat.com/news/will-sa-con...eau-go-private

Quote:
A 13-member task force appointed by Mayor Ivy Taylor is considering whether the San Antonio Convention and Visitors Bureau (SACVB) should split from the city.

Of the top 30 tourism markets, San Antonio is the only city with a government-operated convention and visitors bureau.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio