HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I know that there was a fundraising art sale event on Jan 3 to try to raise money for the roof repairs if I recall the TV news report correctly.

I can't remember how much they need to raise for repairs or how much was raised.
Hey check out their website:

http://thunderbirdhouse.com/?option=...id=1&Itemid=54

Oh right, that doesn't work either!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:29 PM

The more time that passes, the more it seems like Thunderbird House was just a knee jerk play to level the most embarrassing part of skid row downtown right before the 1999 Pan Am Games. Phase I got built and it seems as though everyone stopped caring about it shortly thereafter.

The funny thing is it's not like any of the Pan Am visitors would have really or noticed or cared about what was there before.

Thunderbird House was just the first part of what was to have been a much larger Douglas Cardinal-designed complex, although that has about as much chance of happening now as me getting signed to a NHL team and scoring 12 goals to close out the season.

source: winnipegarchitecture.ca

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Thunderbird House was $2.8M to build (tax dollars) for a pretty modest building (did Caspian construct it?) it is exempt from property taxes, so what exactly has it done for Winnipeg and the First Nations Community?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:40 PM

I actually really like that design. I'm a fan of the modernist style. If that can be considered modernist. The horizontal lines/benches give it a certain look.

Edit: Quick google search to brush up on my architecture. An 'international style, morphed from modernism'. Building like Glasshouse remind me of it. Podiums of TNS also, with the horizontal lines. Original concept for the railside plaza area had a similar design.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I actually really like that design. I'm a fan of the modernist style. If that can be considered modernist. The horizontal lines/benches give it a certain look.

Edit: Quick google search to brush up on my architecture. An 'international style, morphed from modernism'. Building like Glasshouse remind me of it. Podiums of TNS also, with the horizontal lines. Original concept for the railside plaza area had a similar design.
It's a beautiful design, if you can get over the fact that it has hardly anything in common with its surroundings.

The problem is that the economics of this project were pie in the sky. I don't recall that there were ever really any firm plans for the unbuilt structures other than that they would some day become home to "businesses".

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the building has done a fair bit as a community hub
it has a sweat lodge on its grounds and a healing garden.

it has its problems at the board but it functions its frustraiting but then why not get invovled and be apart of the community

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's a beautiful design, if you can get over the fact that it has hardly anything in common with its surroundings.

The problem is that the economics of this project were pie in the sky. I don't recall that there were ever really any firm plans for the unbuilt structures other than that they would some day become home to "businesses".
there was funding but it was contingent on cpr giving up their land the alex sat on and it died

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
there was funding but it was contingent on cpr giving up their land the alex sat on and it died
The proposal was not for the former Royal Alex site, though... that was the north side of Higgins while Neeginan was planned for the south side.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
The proposal was not for the former Royal Alex site, though... that was the north side of Higgins while Neeginan was planned for the south side.
i thought they were the same projects but then i was just a kid when all these were anounced

i went to the opening cerimonies for thunderbird house when it open

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:29 PM

^ Speaking of the Royal Alex site though, I wonder if anything will ever happen with it? It would be nice to at least see the Main Street frontage get developed so we don't just have such a huge wasteland sitting right there on a major artery.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

give it 10 yrs

i know the mmf is looking at adding a couple floors to their building in he next few yrs

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
give it 10 yrs

i know the mmf is looking at adding a couple floors to their building in he next few yrs
What the hell for, to duplicate services that are offered for "everyone else", see how much the MMF and First Nations groups would provide if they actually had to pay for it themselves!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:33 AM
BANNED

Aren't they planning on leasing the space out?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What the hell for, to duplicate services that are offered for "everyone else", see how much the MMF and First Nations groups would provide if they actually had to pay for it themselves!
i think we should continue to im seeing changes happening slowly on the positive direction its happening people said i was off my rocker on winnipeg growing and mb im guna stand my ground on this front as well. it takes time and the slow and steady is the manitoba advantage. where we need to really focus is education at all ages through the north inspire we got this beautifull college in thompson and it sits empty since the u of m got its hands on it and is moving everything back to wpg along with flin flon kyboshing this needs to end.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
With Thunderbird house, and the "Disco" Safeway behind it, yeah it most definitely is.
omg haha this made me laugh literally out loud! haha sorry

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
The more time that passes, the more it seems like Thunderbird House was just a knee jerk play to level the most embarrassing part of skid row downtown right before the 1999 Pan Am Games. Phase I got built and it seems as though everyone stopped caring about it shortly thereafter.

The funny thing is it's not like any of the Pan Am visitors would have really or noticed or cared about what was there before.

Thunderbird House was just the first part of what was to have been a much larger Douglas Cardinal-designed complex, although that has about as much chance of happening now as me getting signed to a NHL team and scoring 12 goals to close out the season.

source: winnipegarchitecture.ca

oh god.. to think at least a partial amount of the planning money could have gone towards re-imagining portage place.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:

even as a kid growing up watching the surrounding area come down for the Thunderbird house for the pam games, you could tell something wasn't right. and you have summed it up here. the structure is a one-off. it was supposed to become a major part of community renewal that didn't take place -- neeganan (sp?) alone, it doesn't belong.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 3:44 AM
BANNED

Exactly. I was oretty darn excited about the plan to transform the area, but alas...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:49 PM

http://globalnews.ca/news/3204538/wh.../?sf52789413=1

Interesting article on the future of Canadian demographics. Winnipeg and Manitoba at the forefront with the big boys in big cities. They mention Manitoba at least spends some money on French language education. The only French I learned was in school, so yes it helps for sure. Otherwise, I'd just be learning from soup cans and shampoo bottles.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Anyone know of a charity bike repair outfit in the city? I have some good parts and new tires I would like to donate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan