HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Would it really be so hard to get some philanthropist to pay to put up some concrete walls in a downtown park? We could have our own version of the Venice Beach walls at Zilker somewhere. Or next to the skate park near House Park would be ok (close to the old gallery area except with tons of parking, btw).
Why don't artists start using the concrete walls of I-35 through downtown? Maybe THAT will convince TxDOT to tear it down faster and bury it

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 12:46 AM

I truly don't need to look further than this clip to realize we are a world of downward spiraling intelligence I sure hope she hasn't reproduced yet. Btw, is this too off topic??
https://youtu.be/UvrwPEgHq_A

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 12, 2020 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I truly don't need to look further than this clip to realize we are a world of downward spiraling intelligence I sure hope she hasn't reproduced yet. Btw, is this too off topic??
https://youtu.be/UvrwPEgHq_A
She's from Manitoba, I think world is safe...for now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 7:09 AM

Popeyes has now given her $10,000 worth of food because the video went viral.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:38 PM

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trav...mansfield-dam/

Not sure which thread is appropriate for this, but it seems like there's a situation unfolding at Mansfield Dam.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtriathlete View Post
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trav...mansfield-dam/

Not sure which thread is appropriate for this, but it seems like there's a situation unfolding at Mansfield Dam.
A KXAN reporter at the dam said they were told to move from their location because the area at the bottom of the dam is not safe.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 9:19 PM

MyFox 7 says someone barricaded themselves in the dam.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 10:47 PM

Looks like it ended up being a false alarm. An LCRA maintenance worker said a person ran past them in one of the tunnels that should not have been there, but ultimately no suspect was ever found.

Very odd...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:46 AM

Public service announcement:

911 Lonestar (Austin edition) premiers tonight after the 49ers finish routing the Packers. It's guaranteed to be full of Texas cliches. As a bonus, it is clearly filmed in LA as evidenced by the trailers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:16 AM

I'm recording it. I could use a good laugh. Wouldn't it just be easier to call it what it is, 911-LA. Hate to see Austin and Texas used this way, like a current fad. Reminds me when One American Center and Sixth Street were featured the the John Travolta movie, 'Michael', based in Chicago. If ya'll haven't seen that yet, I heard it out on VHS.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:12 AM

Ok, so they spent a few days taking shots of downtown, some pretty good, I especially like the one overhead shot, but to see the engines screamimg southbound on Congress Ave, then cut to a different angle and lo and behold, they're heading north on Congress all of a sudden. Rob Lowe looks incredible, Liv Tyler does not. Not to mention, in the beginning of the episode, the FDNY Captain and his son drive to Austin from NY and cross through the vast desert plains of who the fuck knows where to get here. The skyline in the show is current as the Indeed Tower is well on the way. I will say there is a TON of Hollywood liberties being taken, from Line Dancing out the gate stereotyping, the desert right outside the state line, to the reaction and jargon used on the calls. We already got a heaping of the Longhorns and State Capital Building, and Engine response misdirection that will go unnoticed by outsiders. Its pretty much the Hollywooding of Austin, and.........I kind of dig it. I mean, one of the persons getting interviewed for a job with Station 126 admitted the only reason she came to Austin for the interview was because she wanted to see SXSW. If they don't podunk down Austin too much like they did when Jimmy Fallon was here, and they probably will, this could be an interesting way of showing Austin's relevancy as an imerging legit big time city. Curious why they picked Austin over Dallas or Houston. Probably because Austin is so much cooler and Hollywood knows this. Also, they chose to put the Texas Fertilizer explosion disaster that happened a while back that killed so many first responders, as the lead in as to why a NYC Firefighter came here in the first place. It was in this case, Station 126 out of Austin that fought this fire and all but one firefighter in the whole company were killed in the explosion, and Austin's Chief needed someone who experienced something similar to rebuild that devastated station. Someone who successfully rebuilt an engine company after 911. Throw in the need to diversify and ya got a little something for everyone.If they don't dumb down the script too much, I might be a regular watcher, although I will out of the gate bet it won't get renewed next season. The market is saturated with these kind of shows and the power and lure of Austin will only take it so far. Oh....I forgot to mention....spoil alert!

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 20, 2020 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:39 AM

One thing that wasn’t a liberty was to show that the US Departmeny of Justice is overseeing AFD hiring practices after problems with racial discrimination. Thought that was interesting to include.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:55 AM

I’m gonna be in Austin in three weeks, what’s the best spot to get a good view of the skyline? Also any recommended bbq joints that aren’t crazy busy. That’s probably asking a lot, but I appreciate any answers!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
I’m gonna be in Austin in three weeks, what’s the best spot to get a good view of the skyline? Also any recommended bbq joints that aren’t crazy busy. That’s probably asking a lot, but I appreciate any answers!
the platform at the Long center probably has the best view

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
CB get both at terry black’s bbq

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 6:45 PM
Meh

Check out Zilker Park. There are some good views there across the field. Also, be sure to check out the Zilker Clubhouse just west of there. St. Edward's University is another good spot. And, of course, Auditorium Shores, Butler Park observation hill, and the hike and bike trail boardwalk.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:22 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Terry Black's BBQ on Barton Springs.

Valentina's is in far South Austin, but it's a very good BBQ trailer with a TexMex twist.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:37 AM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Cool. Love Wurstfest.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:25 PM
クラブトクヨ

me too! glad they rebuilt so fast!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin