HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 3:52 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Isn't frost building a large corporate office in the westover hills area?
Yes, to house the workers that work at the Rand building. Graham Weston bought that building and now houses Geekdom there.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101 View Post
Great news indeed. Hopefully this actually goes through. I really like planned location, That side of downtown could use some love. That being said and seeing how this is SA, I wont get my hopes up for this project.
Don't be cynical. A project that has the back of the Mayor, Graham Weston and Frost is getting built.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Don't be cynical. A project that has the back of the Mayor, Graham Weston and Frost is getting built.
What do you expect? We've had it rough in the high rise development area compared to the rest of the state. HDRC shoots down pretty much everything. When something does get approved, you can bet they are going to have numerous problems with the design. I'm still bitter as hell about the proposed Joske's Tower project. That was by far my favorite proposal of the past two decades and perfect for SA. Should have been approved and could have went on to be a great model to follow for any future high rise developments downtown.

I'll never forget when the Frost Bank Tower Austin project was announced, giving Austin its first true signature tower. While knowing they were headquartered in San Antonio and the bland building they called home. So yeah that's the only reason I'm holding out any hope. Maybe Frost will finally give its hometown the signature tower it deserves.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
What do you expect? We've had it rough in the high rise development area compared to the rest of the state. HDRC shoots down pretty much everything. When something does get approved, you can bet they are going to have numerous problems with the design. I'm still bitter as hell about the proposed Joske's Tower project. That was by far my favorite proposal of the past two decades and perfect for SA. Should have been approved and could have went on to be a great model to follow for any future high rise developments downtown.
San Antonio gives the HDRC more credit (or disrespect) than it deserves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they only have oversight if one of three conditions is met 1) the building is designated historic or in a historic district; 2) it's owned by the City; or 3) it sits in the Rio Overlay area along the river. It seems like they have more power than they do because well, so far all the development downtown has been clustered around the river, been a reuse of an old building, or been City-owned. The UHS expansion, HEB store, and developments along South Flores like 1010 didn't have to be approved by them. Considering the new tower's site and it's private owner, my guess is the HDRC won't be involved.

As for the Joske's tower, it was a beautiful proposal for a bad location. I agreed with the proposal until the National Parks Service and UNESCO team said the tower could jeopardize a World Heritage designation for the Alamo and the missions. IMO that designation and the attention it will bring our city is more important than the tower. But it was a really good design and in a perfect world they'd build that sucker in another part of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:

I'll never forget when the Frost Bank Tower Austin project was announced, giving Austin its first true signature tower. While knowing they were headquartered in San Antonio and the bland building they called home. So yeah that's the only reason I'm holding out any hope. Maybe Frost will finally give its hometown the signature tower it deserves.

You give the HDRC too much credit. Too much. You can't use hyperbole like "they shoot down pretty much everything.", which is completely untrue. I see the HDRC getting way too much hate on here for reasons that shouldn't attributted to them.

The GH wasn't redesigned because.of the HDRC. It was redesigned because the builder who was also the designer went with the least expensive design.

The HDRC doesn't shoot down pretty much everything. A 350 ft high rise was approved at Navarro and Commerce in 2008. The developer never built it but it was approved.

The Joske's tower, which isn't dead, was/is a very unique case. It's being built atop a historic structure and very close to the Alamo. Proper attention was needed and is still needed.

Imo, had the developer used the second design initially, the hubbub that was created by the likes of the San Antonio Conservation Society wouldn't have been as loud or even have occurred. The first design was awful and that is what sparked the outrage.

Is the HdRc perfect? No. But they aren't the boogieman you seem to think they are.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:29 AM

How tall do you think this will be. The Austin frost tower is like 525 ft and its only 33 stories. Could this building, at 40+ stories, be over 600 feet tall.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:20 AM

I can see it being between 550 and 700 feet. Depending on the design. Also, the residential units (300) will be part of the building.

Also, don't be surprised to see a second tower next to or near this one as Weston Urban is very interested in developing the CPS tower.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
I can see it being between 550 and 700 feet. Depending on the design. Also, the residential units (300) will be part of the building.

Also, don't be surprised to see a second tower next to or near this one as Weston Urban is very interested in developing the CPS tower.
Where have you read that the 300 units will be part of the building that Frost is going to occupy?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Where have you read that the 300 units will be part of the building that Frost is going to occupy?
Sources.

I've heard the rumblings about this deal for a while now. The reason it came out a few days ago is because Castro is leaving for Washington D.C.

They sped everything up once he decided he wanted to seek higher power.

The CPS tower has a lot of interest from developers, including Weston, and CPS will go with the best proposal. The CEO really wants an iconic tower for downtown as well. So this will be very interesting.

Graham's vision with the Frost tower is to use it not only to bring new class A office space for downtown but to use it to house tech companies. Either those coming out of Geekdom or by attracting tech jobs from out of state.

He then wants to build housing for those employees.

Good times ahead.

Just think about it. We have Goldbury developing The Pearl, Graham developing downtown and Lifshutz helping to develop Southtown.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:46 AM
James

If Weston does develop both properties, I wonder if the towers will complement each other.

If they are different, I wonder if the developers will be competing in a race of sorts for the tallest, most iconic tower.

Last edited by jaga185; Jul 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
If Weston does develop both properties, I wonder if the towers will compliment each other.

If they are different, I wonder if the developers will be competing in a race of sorts for the tallest, most iconic tower.
A San Antonio version of the Chrysler Building Vs the Empire State Building battle "be it on a much smaller scale" would be awesome

More than likely though, I'm sure they will compliment one another. Which will get no complaints from me.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:48 AM
JACKinBeantown

Complement

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:25 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...88-13087.shtml

"Under the current proposal, the multi-purpose tower would include more than 300 housing units, more than 700 parking spaces and 400,000 square feet of office space."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 5:58 PM

I am excited about the Frost and CPS proposed towers and hope a truly iconic style(timeless) is chosen for at least one of them. To me, iconic, would be something like this clock tower or one of the other ornate towers shown in this photo of Chicago. The Tower Life would be another example. Not that I don't welcome the various styles of modern architecture, I just think it would be cooler to see a soaring clock tower with perhaps the Frost emblem outlining the clock. I just hope these structures get off the ground soon regardless of the style of architecture that is picked, I am sure the towers will be tasteful nonetheless.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 3, 2014 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 3:02 PM

Please don't come out blue, purple, orange, or yellow. I will take a plane jane glass tower over one that tries to incorporate san antonio's rich historical past.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 4:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Please don't come out blue, purple, orange, or yellow. I will take a plane jane glass tower over one that tries to incorporate san antonio's rich historical past.
Ha! I'd prefer neither. How about something with a good design?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 9:13 PM
Member since 2001

Great news for SA! I would expect this tower to be designed as a thiner one than most office structures (since it may be a residential component). Office projects are usually much thicker than residential ones...since you cannot have "interior" residential units.

Does anyone else think that roughly 700 parking spaces seem a bit light?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Great news for SA! I would expect this tower to be designed as a thiner one than most office structures (since it may be a residential component). Office projects are usually much thicker than residential ones...since you cannot have "interior" residential units.

Does anyone else think that roughly 700 parking spaces seem a bit light?
Yes.

Here in Raleigh, we have an office/residential combo; it has only 275k sq. ft. of office and 139 condo units (32 floors, 538 ft.). It has 357 spots built-in to the building and 1,050 across the street and includes public parking.

So yes it seems light, and no it doesn't seem like enough if the city also wanted some public parking in the building on top of that which is provided for the offices and residents.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 4, 2014 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 2:29 AM

Ready for some really exciting news? I'm hearing that this (mixed-use) tower will very likely be over 700 feet.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Ready for some really exciting news? I'm hearing that this (mixed-use) tower will very likely be over 700 feet.
Wow! Very exciting news!

SA will definitely look like the seventh largest city in the nation!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio