HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 8:25 PM

It's horseshit they had to remove storeys from the plan. They were proposing 12 storeys and had to scale it back.

We're lucky that didn't kill the project, though I'm sure the long delays and conflict that came with this are a clear signal to other developers that it's not worth developing parking lots in the Exchange.

The cherry on top of the hearings was when city staff all fixated on how there were >100ft buildings, but they were "built before our zoning bylaws" -- basically, "we'd never let anyone build this great building again". Oh, and how the character of the area, historically, was that "no one building would dominate all the others in height" (ahem, Union Bank building?!)

The Architecture Foundation does some great work but I sometimes think they'd be happy if we just returned to the 90s and had a perfectly preserved but near-empty Exchange.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 9:25 AM

Well everyone is satisfied. Seems like the hubub worked and wasn't horseshit?

It was always more about the precedent and maintaining clear rules than the individual building anyway.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Well everyone is satisfied. Seems like the hubub worked and wasn't horseshit?

It was always more about the precedent and maintaining clear rules than the individual building anyway.
It would have looked better with a couple more stories IMO. Glad this one went ahead but the hubbub has got to be discouraging to anyone who might be interested in doing a similar project. And goodness knows the exchange would benefit from a few more of these filling in some parking lots!

Last edited by KnickKnack; Sep 18, 2024 at 3:55 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 3:52 PM

It definitely looks better with a couple of more stories, but with the surrounding buildings, it actually fits in quite nicely, I think. And if anything, this might be a win for any future projects, as this creates a new ceiling for how high they can build in the Exchange, no? I could be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:00 PM
the first stamp is free

^ precedent has been set now. Buildings up to either 100-feet or 110-feet (not sure which) should now be possible for future developments.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 4:20 PM

oh, that's good! I didn't realise that - I thought they had just been given an exemption for this one project.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
oh, that's good! I didn't realise that - I thought they had just been given an exemption for this one project.
I think the exemption or variance in and of itself sets a precedent, developers would still need to apply for a variance or whatever the correct term is, but they will most likely be easier to obtain with precedent.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 5:58 PM
the first stamp is free

^ basically this.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 6:34 PM

Ah I see what you mean. Hopefully that will help next time!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 6:49 PM

Should the zoning be changed to reflect that? Zoning is 60' or something like that IIRC. So it's basically at the whim of the public service on what to allow. They could go higher than what they approved here as it's just based on the whim of the director.

Or would changing zoning regs just move the goalposts.

Old Posted Today, 2:30 AM

460 Main

The bronze gate panels at LAB’s 460 Main which were vandalized and stolen for scrap have finally been recast and installed. This is an important piece of our urban fabric and architectural heritage. An important and interesting project recast at foundry near Acton Ontario. Laser imagery from an early RBC bank acted as a new rubber mold used in the recasting. The bronze patina should weather over time.

We are very pleased to have found a way forward with this restoration. Handles are currently being laser printed and recast.

Really hope they remain not vandalized for the next 100 years.

Sorry not to have the tec skill to post the images.

Old Posted Today, 3:05 AM
surely you agree with me

^ great news.

Old Posted Today, 1:31 PM

Well done, Labroco!

Old Posted Today, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The bronze gate panels at LAB’s 460 Main which were vandalized and stolen for scrap have finally been recast and installed. This is an important piece of our urban fabric and architectural heritage. An important and interesting project recast at foundry near Acton Ontario. Laser imagery from an early RBC bank acted as a new rubber mold used in the recasting. The bronze patina should weather over time.

We are very pleased to have found a way forward with this restoration. Handles are currently being laser printed and recast.

this is great - we're lucky to have folks like you that are so invested in preserving these kinds of architectural elements even when it's often an uphill battle.

Old Posted Today, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post

Did somebody keep the mold (or the drawings to recreate it easily) in case some other developer somewhere wants to put gates like this in their project? It would be a shame if it was a one and done casting project.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan