HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the eslinad was only 12million or somthing to build
No it wasn’t I’m sure it was 25M +.

Correction it was 21 Million.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:19 AM

How about we just cut the Louise Bridge off and move it south when it gets replaced. All you need is new piers!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
How about we just cut the Louise Bridge off and move it south when it gets replaced. All you need is new piers!
ooo i like

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:43 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Great West Life
*Great West Metals

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ooo i like
I actually think this is a cool idea if it's possible. It's things like this that help an area keep its history and charm. Sort of like the ped bridge near the BDI icecream.

Especially if it had some cool lighting for night time it could be pretty sweet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Esplanade Riel is like the Cadillac of ped bridges for Winnipeg. A more basic bridge is less costly. Should be able to get an idea from the Assiniboine ped bridge proposal. That one doesn't include any river piers though.

Specific to the Whittier Park thing. There's a big rock climbing thing there. In winter it's ice climbing.. There is no ice wall to walk around. And yes you could just walk across the river. But that's not the point. In summer do you swim?

Winnipeg should have a core pathway network that is paved and be lighted the entire length. maybe this is part of it, maybe not. Since we have no idea because there is no plan, maybe that would be a start.

Back on the topic of metal cladding. We'll see what is actually installed and how it turns out..
I think it would be neat to try and drum up enthusiasm for winters by connecting the park and waterfront, make a thing of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
*Great West Metals
Amateur hour by me haha

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Maybe I'm crazy but both of these are significantly nicer theme than the generic black sheet metal and glass we're seeing in the renders. Am getting worried about how many companies going with this aesthetic and hope i'm wrong. The layout from waht I can see and those 'stone-ish' angled pillar pieces at the ground level are nice but god i hate that 'copy and paste' style of everything above it.

Fortunately I could be wrong about this as I have about others but am hoping they incorporate some more brick / stone or even wood to frame it because the top portions look like something I can buy to start an auto shop in Headingley.

I'm a bit emotional about this lol. My beautiful beautiful potential development of the Eaton Warehouse must be protected at all costs. I don't want everything around there to be this nice ground floor - pre-fab farm equipment storage everywhere else - style.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but both of these are significantly nicer theme than the generic black sheet metal and glass we're seeing in the renders. Am getting worried about how many companies going with this aesthetic and hope i'm wrong. The layout from waht I can see and those 'stone-ish' angled pillar pieces at the ground level are nice but god i hate that 'copy and paste' style of everything above it.

Fortunately I could be wrong about this as I have about others but am hoping they incorporate some more brick / stone or even wood to frame it because the top portions look like something I can buy to start an auto shop in Headingley.

I'm a bit emotional about this lol. My beautiful beautiful potential development of the Eaton Warehouse must be protected at all costs. I don't want everything around there to be this nice ground floor - pre-fab farm equipment storage everywhere else - style.
I wonder if that black and grey shed would fit on a 50 foot lot at George street?

Great studio space perhaps instead of stand alone housing...

Maybe barrel storage for Nonsuch or Patent 5.

Let me give that some thought.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:23 PM

Now you've done it, tree

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post

If we're lucky, maybe we can get something inspired by that beautiful building in your profile picture. Every time I drive down that stretch of Portage, I get a tear in my eye. It truly feels I've been transported to Paris or Bruges for that half second. A transcendental experience.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:02 PM

Wonder if the skyscraper page circa early 1900s was beefing about all the damn sand-toned brick buildings going up in the Exchange?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Wonder if the skyscraper page circa early 1900s was beefing about all the damn sand-toned brick buildings going up in the Exchange?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Now you've done it, tree
Sorry if i've reignited something lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
If we're lucky, maybe we can get something inspired by that beautiful building in your profile picture. Every time I drive down that stretch of Portage, I get a tear in my eye. It truly feels I've been transported to Paris or Bruges for that half second. A transcendental experience.
Seriously as long as no one is trying to convince me that a building style like that has inherent aesthetic value I'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
lol like i said maybe i'll be wrong about this - i'm open to trusting the experts - but just looks a bit too much like the Mere hotel (which has a lot of colors yes- but has an industrial warehouse influenced metal look to it) and the Pumphouse upper structure area.

Admittedly, upon looking around the area again (not just the glorious Eaton Warehouse side of it) it could still use something more modern around there so its not al bad. There are enough pseudo 'exchange' style condos (with the typical exchange district vibes) to still contrast with it.

Just don't turn turn the Eaton Warehouse into that style

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:13 PM
Winnipeg

Isn't industrial style a trend nowadays? Pretty prevalent in house and high-rise designs? I can be wrong though.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Isn't industrial style a trend nowadays? Pretty prevalent in house and high-rise designs? I can be wrong though.
It's pretty popular and can look nicer than it does in renderings. There's also some really nice ways to do it that don't look as plain as these do. I try to trust the architects that in reality it will look good and that in 20-30 years we'll say "hey these having aged that bad".

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 5:52 PM

A sneak view of the model for this develeopment:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:17 PM

Based on the model. Not sure what I think about this one.. Interesting for sure.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Based on the model. Not sure what I think about this one.. Interesting for sure.
"let's have a hidden-from-the-street wraparound alleyway in point douglas, wgcw"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
We are delighted to share the updated rendering for our first project breaking ground this October in Winnipeg! This is our first project outside of #yyc and has been almost 2 years in the making! The development features a retained historical 4 storey heritage asset, 212 residential units and 6000 sqft of commercial retail use. It’s been a journey for our team to even get to this point but we couldn’t be more excited!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFxhAUVhVlG/

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Oct 2, 2020 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:28 AM

Getting some Nordic vibes from those drawings... looks interesting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan