HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:37 PM

I didn't mean literally flag waving by mounting a national flag to the front of the house kind of thing. I mean treating it as a big deal that there are Swedish companies out there in whatever sector. Clearly there must be some degree of that going on based on kool's posts.

As I said before in an earlier post, I don't feel that kind of attachment to Canadian companies. Why would I? They aren't mine. I don't know why a Swede would feel some unearned sense of pride or accomplishment from seeing an IKEA store while on a trip to Australia or wherever. I mean, there's economic value attached to having recognizable names so it's great if you can be like Apple and create a lucrative image that surrounds the products themselves. But I don't think it's necessarily some great cultural triumph for Sweden apart maybe from the fact that you can get Swedish food around the world at IKEA stores.

As for manufacturing itself, I don't have any trade sector expertise, but as I've said before I suspect there were calculated decisions made along the way to open up the country to foreign trade in exchange for access to the big lucrative market next door. I think it has worked out fairly well. Maybe settling for making car parts instead of Avro Arrows isn't the sexiest thing around, but as a means of improving prosperity it hasn't been bad.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Entertainment is a big Canadian industry that is often overlooked. It doesn't take a lot of work to put together a lengthy list:

Alanis Morissette
Arcade Fire
Arkells
Avril Lavigne
Bachmann Turner Overdrive
Barenaked Ladies
Barking Dog Studios/Rockstar Vancouver
Billy Talent
Bioware
Blackbird Interactive Games
Bob Rock
Bryan Adams
Carly Rae Jepsen
Celine Dion
Cirque du Soleil
Club Penguin
Crash Test Dummies
David Foster
Deadmau5
Denis Villeneuve
Donald Sutherland
Drake
EA Canada (Montreal, Vancouver, Blackbox)
Edios-Montreal
Frank Gehry
Gordon Lightfoot
Heart
Hot Hot Heat
James Cameron
Jim Carrey
Justin Bieber
Keanu Reeves
Kid Koala
Kiefer Sutherland
Leonard Cohen
Loverboy
Margaret Atwood
Matthew Perry
Men Without Hats
Metric (band)
Michael Buble
Michael Cera
Neil Young
Nelly Furtado
Nickleback (sorry)
Our Lady Peace
Raffi
Relic Entertainment
Rockstar Toronto
Rush
Ryan Gosling
Ryan Reynolds
Sarah McLaughlin
Seth Rogan
Shania Twain
Shawn Mendes
Square Enix Montreal
The City and Colour
The Guess Who
The Sheepdogs
The Weeknd
Tom Cochrane
Ubisoft Montreal
Will Arnett (Come on!)
William Shatner
How many of these, if you stuck a microphone under people's noses in Warsaw or Nairobi, would most people intuitively identify as Americans?

(If we are going to use Sweden as an example, well ABBA sang American/British-style pop music in English, and yet around the world most everyone knows there are Swedish.)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

As for manufacturing itself, I don't have any trade sector expertise, but as I've said before I suspect there were calculated decisions made along the way to open up the country to foreign trade in exchange for access to the big lucrative market next door. I think it has worked out fairly well. Maybe settling for making car parts instead of Avro Arrows isn't the sexiest thing around, but as a means of improving prosperity it hasn't been bad.
As I mentioned a few pages ago, we ended getting material benefits that were as good or even better, while taking on less risk and even arguably putting in less effort.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I didn't mean literally flag waving by mounting a national flag to the front of the house kind of thing. I mean treating it as a big deal that there are Swedish companies out there in whatever sector. Clearly there must be some degree of that going on based on kool's posts.

As I said before in an earlier post, I don't feel that kind of attachment to Canadian companies. Why would I? They aren't mine. I don't know why a Swede would feel some unearned sense of pride or accomplishment from seeing an IKEA store while on a trip to Australia or wherever. I mean, there's economic value attached to having recognizable names so it's great if you can be like Apple and create a lucrative image that surrounds the products themselves. But I don't think it's necessarily some great cultural triumph for Sweden apart maybe from the fact that you can get Swedish food around the world at IKEA stores.
I've been slowly moving to the side of the equation for a couple of years now, though clearly the vast majority of people do like to take collective pride in things even far outside the family unit.

I mean, you and I are both sports fans and team fandom is one of the most irrational illogical things there is.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been slowly moving to the side of the equation for a couple of years now, though clearly the vast majority of people do like to take collective pride in things even far outside the family unit.

I mean, you and I are both sports fans and team fandom is one of the most irrational illogical things there is.
Yeah, but sports are entertainment, it's a mere diversion from the real world. The people who take a similar degree of pride in, say, Scania trucks and want the government to take active steps to make sure they remain highly visible on the highways of Europe even if there's a real cost attached are not just messing around the way sports fans generally are.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, but sports are entertainment, it's a mere diversion from the real world. The people who take a similar degree of pride in, say, Scania trucks and want the government to take active steps to make sure they remain highly visible on the highways of Europe even if there's a real cost attached are not just messing around the way sports fans generally are.
I have no idea if you're insinuating that there is but I don't see anything sinister or suspect in the latter form of pride.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:21 PM
video et taceo

Again, I really dont think that most people swell up (with "unearned pride") when a Scania truck goes by, or feel particularly emboldened by IKEA.

People here are reasonable and a lot like Canadians.

There is just this kind of quiet sense that Sweden has done very well for itself as a small country and that these things are part of that story.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:10 PM
recession proof

EQ3 - Canada's IKEA - just opened a store in NYC. Sweden's next.

Scania could be overtaken by a Moose: https://clearpathrobotics.com/moose-ugv/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:19 PM
video et taceo

EQ3 coming to Stockholm? That's great for both thread-related and house-related reasons!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:50 AM
Closed account

Quote:

I guess it's the tangible argument.

We have all sorts of statistical methods of showing how good things are, but that's intangible. You can't see it rolling down the street, flying through the air or by holding it in your hand. It's an abstraction.

But watching a Boeing 747 roar overhead on takeoff, holding your iDevice in your hands and looking at your Chevrolet Corvette in the driveway is a very tangible thing. We built this in America. It represents the best of what we can do in this country and how our country can compete with the best of what the world offers.

We've had shades of it here, obviously. You can look out at any major airport in this country - the turboprops (Dash 8, Q400) and jets that fly out (CRJ, CSeries...err....A220) represent some of the best our aeronautical engineers can produce. 15 years ago, you could hold in your hands the best smartphone money could buy - a BlackBerry, designed right here in Canada. 25 years ago, one could load Corel WordPerfect/Quattro Pro on their PC and see a program that could compete with Microsoft. If you flip on a light switch in Ontario, you have lights that are mostly powered by our indigenously-designed nuclear power reactors - ones that don't need enriched uranium.

I don't know. It's the emotional argument, I guess. Companies like Magna are great (and very much important to our economy), but they don't inspire. Don't get me wrong - if I had to focus on something that will power Canada into the 21st century, I'd look at not-sexy things too - there's less competition from everybody trying to take you out when you're designing a 10% more efficient alternator or something, but I can still see the argument for something to fly the flag from.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:06 AM
recession proof

Does Sweden have a tractor company? Buhler Industries' Versatile line is well known and also makes Kubota farm tractors on their assembly line in Winnipeg.

Around the KW region there's many farm implement manufacturers that sell their equipment worldwide.

https://www.a-m-c.ca/af_memberDirectory.asp

If you knew anything about manufacturing you'd realize Canada has thousands of successful world-famous brands.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Does Sweden have a tractor company? Buhler Industries' Versatile line is well known and also makes Kubota farm tractors on their assembly line in Winnipeg.

Around the KW region there's many farm implement manufacturers that sell their equipment worldwide.

If you knew anything about manufacturing you'd realize Canada has thousands of successful world-famous brands.
Kubota to me (and to most people worldwide I assume) rhymes with *Japanese* innovation and acumen.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:

The prairies are rife with short line manufactures that produce a myriad of types of farm equipment sold around the world. These are just a few off the top of my head. Seedmaster is now developing a robotic power unit that will be able to run several different types of agricultural equipment.

Buhler's in Winnipeg
https://www.buhlerindustries.com/index.php

Bourgault in St Briex SK
https://www.bourgault.com/AboutUs/Hi...S/Default.aspx

Morris in Saskatoon and Yorkton
https://www.morris-industries.com/

Seedmaster in Regina
https://www.seedmaster.ca/about.php

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:54 PM

Buhler is Russian-owned these days.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:

Could be, although K-W would be more recognized for its robots than its farm implements nowadays.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Buhler is Russian-owned these days.
I just found that out when I went on the website. I guess the oligarchs need to park their money somewhere.

That being said, the design, research and manufacturing still remains mainly in NA?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I just found that out when I went on the website. I guess the oligarchs need to park their money somewhere.

That being said, the design, research and manufacturing still remains mainly in NA?
Yeah, AFAIK it's still basically a Canadian company in terms of operations, but Russian owned. Apparently some of the board is super tight with Putin and his cronies, there were calls to investigate them after the invasion of Ukraine.

They keep a pretty low profile around here. Everyone in Winnipeg knows Buhler, but I don't think Rostselmash rings too many bells. I am really only aware of them because one of my friends used to work there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
In the provincial economies thread, I recently made an unflattering comparison between Canadian and Swedish industry, noting that this small country has a much more impressive array of top-tier global industrial firms than does Canada.

I stand by this. Not only does Sweden have IKEA, Volvo, Ericsson, Electrolux, and Scania, but its air force is built around Swedish fighters, AWACs aircraft, and transports. Its Navy uses Swedish submarines, Corvettes, patrol boats and fast attack craft.
Forgive me if this was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, since I saw it devolve into racism discussions and just bailed to the last page, but I can't help but point out the size disparity here.

You mention IKEA, Volvo, Ericsson, Electrolux, and Scania as major players, but the bottom line is they pale in comparison to major Canadian companies.

RBC alone is more valuable than all of these companies combined.

I understand you are pointing to industry and consumer goods but that's not what Canada's strength is, and likely never will be.

There are a lot of valuable traits Sweden and the Nordic economies have we should look to emulate, but just naming some big brand names and saying Canada doesn't have any is a rather superficial way to compare economies.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada