HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
^^^^ Looks far better than any of the 4 options proposed by the province. Though, they probably have concerns about the tight spacing between the interchanges in this scenario. In my opinion, issues arising from that can be mitigated through proper signage.
For tight spacing, use collector lanes.

A 2+2+2+2 configuration will do.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
^^^^ Looks far better than any of the 4 options proposed by the province. Though, they probably have concerns about the tight spacing between the interchanges in this scenario. In my opinion, issues arising from that can be mitigated through proper signage.
Yeah, proper signage as well as bumping up to 6 lanes/extending the merge/exit lanes the whole way between the interchanges would help too, I imagine. Things would have to space out properly compared to my paint drawing as well of course, but there's a lot of empty land already in the area at least (basically everywhere except that chunk of Cory Rd and Township Road 380 they're aiming to pound through).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 10:34 PM

There's also an option of putting one larger/more complicated interchange close to where the 12 & 11 merge together which would bring the freeway South of the Cory Rd area. It would cut more through what I think is the West Swale though, but I imagine that area will continue getting filled with various industrial space as things go along anyway... The Warman/Wanuskewin Rd. interchange at the freeway could be the same, but there would be a need for at least a flyover from Highway 11 to it for people coming into the city then (and keeping the existing exit ramp onto Highway 11). There's obviously a lot of factors at play, but it's easier to just treat everything like Sim City.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
For tight spacing, use collector lanes.

A 2+2+2+2 configuration will do.
Alberta Transportation is going the CD road for a part of the 201 they're expanding in N.W. Calgary. Seems like a great idea to me and easy to implement. The work started back in the spring and it's amazing how much has been done already.

https://westringroad.ca/wp-content/u...nnotations.pdf

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

Not much of a surprise here, given how poorly the "parkway" is laid out in terms of (varying) speed limits on the East side.

Thousands fewer than expected using new Chief Mistawasis Bridge
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...tawasis-bridge

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Not much of a surprise here, given how poorly the "parkway" is laid out in terms of (varying) speed limits on the East side.

Better build that bypass ASAP!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Better build that bypass ASAP!
Just curious if you've driven this stretch of road, being from Regina? It's too bad it couldn't have been built as part of the eventual freeway/bypass since they're planning on putting the freeway within spitting distance of it, if it ever happens.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just curious if you've driven this stretch of road, being from Regina? It's too bad it couldn't have been built as part of the eventual freeway/bypass since they're planning on putting the freeway within spitting distance of it, if it ever happens.
I lived in Saskatoon and Warman from 2012 to 2016. That being said, I have not driven on the new bridge yet. It did feel like a bit of a bandaid solution to me considering it only serves the NE communities while the SE and Stonebridge will still use Circle Dr.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
"I'm shocked", said no one.. I'd say it's the very slow speed limit, in addition to the annoyance of varying speed limits. Speaking with a co-worker who uses the new commuter bridge for his daily commute, his comment is that the commuter bridge provides a more consistent commute time. For him, it's about 15-17 minutes, whereas the Circle Drive route is 15-25 minutes and is more likely to be subject to major delays simply due to volume of traffic.

I don't need to commute daily via the commuter bridge but have found that Circle Drive is much quicker route for me, as I use it outside of rush hours.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:33 PM

North Bridge

Quote:

I'm not at all surprised and it just confirms what I suspected. I live in Arbor Creek and I have used the bridge exactly 9 times. To and from Prince Albert 3 times, once when it opened to see it, and two other times. It is faster for me to take College Drive to Circle Drive to Miller Avenue to the north industrial area than the north bridge.

But I do wish more people would use it to alleviate traffic on Attridge Drive.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I lived in Saskatoon and Warman from 2012 to 2016. That being said, I have not driven on the new bridge yet. It did feel like a bit of a bandaid solution to me considering it only serves the NE communities while the SE and Stonebridge will still use Circle Dr.
Next time you're in town you'll definitely have to make a trip on it/the "parkway"--it's pretty face palm worthy. You also need a really tall vehicle to enjoy any views when you're on the bridge...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:20 PM

^^ no surprises, that's the thing about City of Saskatoon, same city planners that bottlenecked Circle Dr North with traffic lights and pinched lanes between new businesses encroaching onto street ...and decided to put SaskTel Centre half way to Martensville, also built a 6 lane, (not 4 lanes as stated by Star Phoenix, apparently no one from the paper has driven the bridge over the last year either), could have made traffic flow a lot easier if they had properly built an over-pass from bridge under Wanuskewin Rd instead of building a huge bridge that has less traffic than the new 2 lane Victoria (Traffic Bridge) to come to full stop at first intersection across.

Crossing Chief Mistawasis Bridge to come to a full stop at a traffic light intersection at Wanuskewin, the City planners purposefully built Chief Mistawasis Bridge so that it will never meet it's potential because of limiting free flow of traffic, just like Circle Dr engineered circa 1980's.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 11:25 PM

Some Saskatoon Bridge stats:

Quote:
Here are average daily traffic numbers for Saskatoon’s seven bridges, according to information gathered in early 2019. The rise or drop in daily traffic compared to 2018 is included in parentheses or marked with an asterisk if the comparison numbers are from 2017.

Circle Drive North 69,500 (down 9,800)

University Bridge 43,500 (up 400*)

Gordie Howe 41,900 (down 1,600)

Sid Buckwold 38,900 (down 6,500*)

Broadway 16,200 (down 1,700)

Traffic 12,000 (up 5,900)

Chief Mistawasis 9,900 (no 2018 data)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 11:23 PM

I'm not surprised by lack of traffic volume, the speed limits vary to wildly and are far too slow. I haven't driven it for commute purposes but every once in a while will drive it on the weekend and its empty and slow. Such a huge waste.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 7:23 AM

I used to work next to the chief mistawasis bridge, and then would try to hit up a gym in Willowgrove after work - still faster on Circle N because of how it’s laid out and the weirdly varying speeds that no one follows lol. Quite a shame of a bridge but will be good for the future suburban builds that can be built around the bridge LOL

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:51 PM

Hooray for studies!

City committee approves speed study on Chief Mistawasis bridge corridor
https://www.ckom.com/2019/11/05/mist...o-speed-study/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:23 PM

I am curious to hear your opinions on the Saskatoon Freeway. Mine is as follows.

I have not been able to find any sort of study on whether this freeway is actually needed, which begs the question: is it worth it to spend $2B (probably more) diverting an unknown amount of traffic around Saskatoon? What is the percentage of traffic originating in or destined for Saskatoon vs. just passing through?

There has been no comparison between a new freeway and other options to determine if they would be more effective, not to mention cost less than $2B. An option like improving existing bottleneck intersections such as Circle Dr. and Idylwyld and changing access to businesses on Circle Dr. such that there are no lights. E.g. reconfigure so access is from other streets (41, 42A, 43). Also, rather than plowing new highway through virgin field, why not consider removing cars from the road by investing in transit (BRT), a proper bike lane network, and pedestrian connections.

Not to mention the additional operations and maintenance costs that will be carried by the Province (or Saskatoon eventually) for 11 new interchanges and the freeway for the rest of time, on top of the capital cost.

The new perimeter bridge being less than 1 kM from Chief Mistawasis also seems ridiculous.

There are improvements that could be made to traffic flow through the city, especially if we want to spend in the billions, but there is no evidence Saskatoon Freeway is the correct solution. What does everyone else think?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don’t know how much property acquisition costs. If it’s low, though, I will rather the west branch of Circle Drive be converted to freeway. For 11-16/Circle Drive interchange, we only need to expropriate properties on the west side to put in a fly-over from Circle Drive eastbound to 11-16 northbound, a loop from 11-16 southbound to Circle Drive eastbound. This is to ensure that the movement between the west branch of Circle Drive and 11-16 North(West) are uninterrupted. In fact, after the Airport Drive interchange (according to my proposal), the freeway lanes should just be elevated all the way until Highway 11-16. Meanwhile, intersections with Marquis Drive for both routes will be replaced with interchanges too, and likewise with 16 & 394 at the southeast corner.

If Edmonton has the gut to turn Highway 16 into a freeway in a very built up environment, I don’t see why not Sasktoon can’t do it either. In fact, as a digression, for Regina Bypass, I wish the province just took out a few properties along Victoria Avenue and threw a few interchanges in.

Personally, I really don’t like the freeway plan because it takes out quite a bit of environmentally sensitive land. Anyway, time to start a new thread for this new ring road?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:59 PM

Freeway

Just don't build it through the swale. You will end up with the variable and low speeds that bother people with Mistawasis (though I think that location is a bigger issue) while still destroying an irreplaceable heritage site.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:18 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Alright I started a nee thread about the ring road. Mods if you see fit, can you move new-ring-road-related comments there? Many thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan