HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
And yet there are a lot of low intelligence hippie style left wingers who have never owned or held a gun but feel like they are experts. Notice that most of you didn't wonder why Trudeau is banning "assault" rifles because you thought assault rifles were legal. They idolize Scandinavian nations without realizing that Sweden has a very high gun ownership rate. There are also several left wingers who own guns because they are a part of life or their work. Many people who grew up in the country were raised around guns. Note that Canada's gun ownership rate is close to Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland's. 16% of Canadian households have a gun. Seriously what is the goal of legislation? To make a minority of people who have no idea about an issue happy or to provide real improvement to our nation? Looking at the below it looks like gun ownership has nothing to do with crime rates. Honestly it feels like moronic Canadians are using the American portrayal of gun owners to characterize Canadian gun owners despite all stats showing the opposite.

And a nice quote from wikipedia:
Honestly, why do you care so much? I'm guessing you don't have a firearm, license or regularly use them? Most countries get on just fine with stricter laws than Canada's.

For the record, I do have a PAL though don't own any weapons. I think Canada has very sensible but reasonable laws currently, but don't see that improvement is impossible.

And that graph isn't very useful, including a bunch of shithole countries. If we look at western countries, it's clear there's an outlier.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
And that graph isn't very useful, including a bunch of shithole countries. If we look at western countries, it's clear there's an outlier.
indeed...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
indeed...

Eyeballing it in your graph Finland is more than Canada but in Milo’s it’s half Canada’s.

Btw if we did gun homicides by ethnicity in Canada I wonder if FN would be much higher.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:43 AM

To me the issue is not the total number of guns but rather the number of handguns.

In a country as vast as Canada, many isolated rural people legitimately need shot guns for self defensive from both people and animals. Also due to our massive size, hunting is more common as opposed to Europe where nearly all the animals are already gone. The issue is not large guns but handguns who's sole purpose to to kill humans.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung
That doesn't factor in highways and regional roads. Also how much did the land occupied by roadways cost? Who pays for the cost of pollution of which 40% is emitted by vehicles alone? How many billions did taxpayers spend on bailing out automakers?
I can nickel and dime things too to offset additional costs. Want a big one? What do you think the average tax contribution is from somebody who drives everyday vs takes the bus?

The urban elite think vehicles are subsidized. That's fine, but then they should be fully supportive of a system where all public money is removed from transportation (taxes lowered accordingly) and everything is 100% user paid.
I make 6 figures and use my car maybe once a week.

The big, big subsidy for the oil and gas industry is that cities continue to sprawl instead of densify, making it hard for transit to be practical. The fact that a middle class family can even afford a house (outside Vancouver/Toronto) is a subsidy to the oil and gas industry. All the suburban road and servicing infrastructure built to date is a subsidy. Your carbon tax would be through the roof if it even comes close to covering the cost of undoing the environmental damage from burning that fuel.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Enjoy the smell of your own farts don't you?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post

The big, big subsidy for the oil and gas industry is that cities continue to sprawl instead of densify, making it hard for transit to be practical. The fact that a middle class family can even afford a house (outside Vancouver/Toronto) is a subsidy to the oil and gas industry. All the suburban road and servicing infrastructure built to date is a subsidy. Your carbon tax would be through the roof if it even comes close to covering the cost of undoing the environmental damage from burning that fuel.
The Metro 2040 plan called for most of Metro Vancouver's density to be built in small zones around skytrain stations for exactly this reason. Building big is a lot better for the environment both in terms of construction, insulation, heating, maintenance, and travel.

However, this faces massive backlash from NIMBY's, the anti-money anti-development crowd, and those who think we don't need more supply.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:48 AM

“Six figures” in 2019 = about $60 k in late 90s dollars. Just so we all have a sense of what that actually means these days.

Anyways, fare recovery exceeds 100 percent in many East Asian public transit networks. I suspect our inability to get to that number has more to do with bad policy propping up the national delusion of home ownership (which may actualy be making home ownership less affordable) than it does with public transit being a bad business case per se.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
“Six figures” in 2019 = about $60 k in late 90s dollars. Just so we all have a sense of what that actually means these days.

Anyways, fare recovery exceeds 100 percent in many East Asian public transit networks. I suspect our inability to get to that number has more to do with bad policy propping up the national delusion of home ownership (which may actualy be making home ownership less affordable) than it does with public transit being a bad business case per se.
Well thats also because bus/transit drivers and staff are paid a lot less than the average wage. Its a bottom tier job. In comparison here its an above average upper-middle class job. Even the attendants make more than me and teachers.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:40 AM

True, some bus drivers in Halifax in fact make six figures. Staffing is a huge operating cost in transit and is one of the advantages of rail - you can get more capacity with fewer staff.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Honestly, why do you care so much? I'm guessing you don't have a firearm, license or regularly use them? Most countries get on just fine with stricter laws than Canada's.

For the record, I do have a PAL though don't own any weapons. I think Canada has very sensible but reasonable laws currently, but don't see that improvement is impossible.

The one thing the graph does not show is that for the most part males are 75% of suicides (or higher) but there is no special effort or programs to deal with this problem

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Or it could also be 160k in late 90's dollars, but that wasn't the point of my example lol

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada