HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 11:45 PM
I am a typical

We were talking about the likelihood of getting a career as a teacher, and in Ontario, teachers are a very exclusive cabal. Apparently Manitoba is the opposite which in its own way is just as absurd.

It's a very strange profession overall.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:24 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade..

But as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Don't walk away from something that is working for you in another place because your sentimental for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:30 AM

Are you referring to me OTL?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:08 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade..

But as the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Don't walk away from something that is working for you in another place because your sentimental for Winnipeg.
Wow buzz kill.

I would counter with, especially for someone at this age (or at least what I assume is chrisallard5454'sc age), do what you want to do, or you will always regret it, and wonder what if.

You're young enough to settle down and have a future anywhere. Be it Winnipeg, or anywhere else.

Geez. This is turning into After School Special SSP...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:47 PM

You know what, I don't even really understand what he is trying to imply here. Is he trying to deter me from coming back to my home? Is he telling me that there is a lot more opportunity in Ontario? BTW 125 000+ people would disagree with you if that were the case. There are no opportunities in Ontario. It is still in a recession. And I have never liked it here. So why would I want to stay in a place that makes me miserable rather than head back home where I know I would be happy.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 2:49 PM

There is nothing working for me here. I have no idea what your statement means, perhaps you can just clarify what you meant than I can maybe explain things clearly for you.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 3:20 PM

I make 10.25 an hour here with no potential for more. I am already 20 000 in debt, and the cheapest apartment anywhere in Ontario is 800.00/month. I have no family nor moral support in Ontario. I cannot get a job or even a degree without competing with 10 000 000 other people. And quite frankly why would I want to. There is nothing that I like in Ontario. I don't like London, I think Toronto is overrated and don't even get me started on K/W. I went to school for 1 year in Peterborough. I have spanned this entire province trying to give it a chance.

There is another saying, it goes; Let's call a spade a spade.

I was not meant to live here.

Please OTL you seem like a nice guy, but don't pretend like you know me or something. I am moving to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

What kind of post-secondary education, training or experience do you currently have?

$10/hr is minimum wage here.

So having any marketable skills should put you ahead of the 8 ball. However renting an apartment/house for under $800/month might be a bit of a challenge.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
What kind of post-secondary education, training or experience do you currently have?

$10/hr is minimum wage here.

So having any marketable skills should put you ahead of the 8 ball. However renting an apartment/house for under $800/month might be a bit of a challenge.
I am not worried really about rent in Winnipeg, as my entire family lives here, and I have multiple places including my dad's house where I could stay until I get the ball rolling. I have graduated high school, and have attended one year of University.

I have looked online and have found many places downtown for under 700.00 which I think is simply amazing, as that is an impossible feat anywhere in Ontario. I can tell you from experience that everything in Ontario is more expensive than in Winnipeg.

I don't plan on going to post-secondary. I plan on applying to the Police Force. I have all the credentials and requirements that they need except my full drivers license. But that would just require a transfer from Ontario License to Manitoba License as I have my full Ontario License and have since I was 16, with a pristine record. Not one ticket or accident.

I am very physically fit, and would pass their physical test without a problem, as well as their written tests. We will see how it goes though. If I don't get into the police force I can always be a Cadet, they still pay well and it provides you with an excellent reference to be an officer when I am able.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am not worried really about rent in Winnipeg, as my entire family lives here, and I have multiple places including my dad's house where I could stay until I get the ball rolling. I have graduated high school, and have attended one year of University.

I have looked online and have found many places downtown for under 700.00 which I think is simply amazing, as that is an impossible feat anywhere in Ontario. I can tell you from experience that everything in Ontario is more expensive than in Winnipeg.

I don't plan on going to post-secondary. I plan on applying to the Police Force. I have all the credentials and requirements that they need except my full drivers license. But that would just require a transfer from Ontario License to Manitoba License as I have my full Ontario License and have since I was 16, with a pristine record. Not one ticket or accident.

I am very physically fit, and would pass their physical test without a problem, as well as their written tests. We will see how it goes though. If I don't get into the police force I can always be a Cadet, they still pay well and it provides you with an excellent reference to be an officer when I am able.
Just a word of advice though...those are the minimum qualifications to get on.

The police process is extremely competitive and you'll be going up against people that have university degrees, trades certificates, policing experience, multiple languages etc etc. AND most of those people are eager, personable and have a clean record like yourself. I don't know you, so I don't know if you have any of that...but it'd be good to get something to set you apart from the rest of the applicants if you really want to get on.

Even the cadet process is pretty competitive from the sounds of it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:58 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
You know what, I don't even really understand what he is trying to imply here. Is he trying to deter me from coming back to my home? Is he telling me that there is a lot more opportunity in Ontario? BTW 125 000+ people would disagree with you if that were the case. There are no opportunities in Ontario. It is still in a recession. And I have never liked it here. So why would I want to stay in a place that makes me miserable rather than head back home where I know I would be happy.
No, believe me I want you to come back..

Winnipeg can always use a long lost son; especially someone who is as determined as you to contribute to our community in a positive way.

I'm just frustrated by the education market...Basically, in my experience the U of M has grossly exagerated the demand for teachers. I wouldn't want you to walk away from your current job on the off chance that there might be something for you or your wife here.

I'm also a landlord, and base rent to live in a place without bedbugs is at least $850 a month.

I had my two bedroom suite appraised earlier last year, and I was told I should be renting it for $1200 / month.

This is SSP man, everyone here is a hometown booster.

I love Winnipeg problems and all, but my advice is for you to go do your own research somewhere else, the folks here will only tell you what you want to hear.

Good luck, Chris.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:21 PM
ABOVE people like you

Start Packing

Hey buddy who ever you are that started this crazy thread, ENOUGH WITH THE QUESTIONS and JUST MOVE ALREADY so we don't have to put up with this crazy thread.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan