HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 10:35 PM

Winnipeg Water Treatment Plant

Completed in 09 at about $300M, treats the entire city's water supply but rarely talked about. Nice virtual tour on city's website for those interested.

http://winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/wat...ment/plant.stm

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 12:48 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I've been thinking about arranging a tour of the plant for my students. I know it went over budget by about 30% during construction and I personally questioned the need for it when it was being proposed.

Once it opened, the taste of the water changed for the better. There is no more late summer mustiness, at all. Our water is beautiful year round. I'm a convert and a supporter.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:35 AM
Closed account

Is our new wastewater treatment facility part of this as well, or is that a seperate entity?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Is our new wastewater treatment facility part of this as well, or is that a seperate entity?
no, but the water treatment facility does have a waste treatment component to deal with the "waste" removed from the drinking water during the processing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I've been thinking about arranging a tour of the plant for my students. I know it went over budget by about 30% during construction and I personally questioned the need for it when it was being proposed.

Once it opened, the taste of the water changed for the better. There is no more late summer mustiness, at all. Our water is beautiful year round. I'm a convert and a supporter.
agreed taste and odour have been improved, still see people with bottled water though

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I noticed a distinct algal smell in the water on one of the really warm days a couple of weeks ago when visiting. Used to be a lot more common in late summer. Beyond that, I agree - Winnipeg's always had pretty good water quality but it's even better these days.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan