HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Heritage Landing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Winnipeg Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 5:21 PM
surely you agree with me

no question about that....its big, but that's about it...no real original thinking.

it looks like a massive refrigerator from most vantage points.

waste of a foster in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 PM

I agree with trueviking. I can dig the height, and the addition of density to the area. I also think it will be a decent compliment to the skyline, at least from a couple vantage points. Oh, and I like the podium. It makes the building look more accessible and inviting.

But damn, I think these design renders look horribly bland and uninspired. The towers of Fort Garry I, II, and III all have a similar exterior colour scheme, and I suspect this boring building will simply blend in and be lost beneath the neighbouring towers. I would like to see more colour, or at least the liberal use of a colour that would contrast / compliment the surrounding beige and Tyndall Lime. And perhaps a more iconic roof would allow the building to be noticed. Everyone knows that flat roofs are so 2011, and the sexiest style this season is clearly slanty and curvy, regardless of the cost.

I would have also liked to see more glass and transparency, and a lot more vegetation and greenery incorporated within the project.

Other than that, at least I'm pleased that the core is getting a new high rise, and no iconic or important historical building was demolished to provide the space.

Remember, my views are flawless, because I am essentially perfect in every way that matters. You can look it up!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
I am a typical

I am pretty sure TrueViking was referring to the Bow in Calgary. (It was designed by Norman Foster.)

It is definitely Foster's least graceful skyscraper. When it was first announced I though Calgary would be getting a tower as iconic and unique as SwissRe or Hearst Tower. Instead it got a glass box that curves, with Foster's trademark diagonal bracing. It's kind of like those Mies knockoffs in the 1960s, but it was done by the original architect himself.

Even when they first announced "U-shaped footprint with an atrium", I basically decided "there is no way this will look good". The shape of the building is just horrible.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I agree with trueviking. I can dig the height, and the addition of density to the area. I also think it will be a decent compliment to the skyline, at least from a couple vantage points. Oh, and I like the podium. It makes the building look more accessible and inviting.

But damn, I think these design renders look horribly bland and uninspired. The towers of Fort Garry I, II, and III all have a similar exterior colour scheme, and I suspect this boring building will simply blend in and be lost beneath the neighbouring towers. I would like to see more colour, or at least the liberal use of a colour that would contrast / compliment the surrounding beige and Tyndall Lime. And perhaps a more iconic roof would allow the building to be noticed. Everyone knows that flat roofs are so 2011, and the sexiest style this season is clearly slanty and curvy, regardless of the cost.

I would have also liked to see more glass and transparency, and a lot more vegetation and greenery incorporated within the project.

Other than that, at least I'm pleased that the core is getting a new high rise, and no iconic or important historical building was demolished to provide the space.

Remember, my views are flawless, because I am essentially perfect in every way that matters. You can look it up!
(psst tv was referring to the bow in calgary man lol)

your post is still relevant to Heritage Landing though!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 PM

Oh no! Now I feel silly for not reading far back enough! This marks my first moment of obvious imperfection, and I feel honored that y'all could be here for it.

Either way, I still stand by my comments on the Winnipeg project.

Oh, and now that I stupidly entered a conversation about the Bow in Calgary, I might as well say that I quite like it (though I much prefer the slender angles to the imposing wide sides).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 4:37 AM

any updates?????

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:44 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
any updates?????
Could go get pictures for us.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:46 PM

For some reason all the machines pulled out, and all the materials have been removed, including the tree barriers. I don't know anything about construction, but I hope this doesn't turn out to be just another parking lot. I haven't seen any activity in almost 2 months.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
For some reason all the machines pulled out, and all the materials have been removed, including the tree barriers. I don't know anything about construction, but I hope this doesn't turn out to be just another parking lot. I haven't seen any activity in almost 2 months.
If the tree protection is gone, then so is the Tower. They would not remove them till it was done.

These companies should be charged for tearing up our riverland, or heritage buildings and then bailing. Never trusted them in the first place.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:32 PM

^^^
I pass in front every day. The only machines that were ever there were to demolish the city building. As soon as the building was demolished, the fencing and machines disappeared.

I doubt someone would spend the money to destroy that building and leave an unlanscaped plot of earth if they didn't have further plans.

What I have noticed though is that more and more cars are parking in the old closed City of Winnipeg parking lot beside where the building used to be. Not sure if they're there for the free parking or what their deal is.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
If the tree protection is gone, then so is the Tower. They would not remove them till it was done.

These companies should be charged for tearing up our riverland, or heritage buildings and then bailing. Never trusted them in the first place.
This is not good news. Have we just witnessed a project collapse?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:49 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
This is not good news. Have we just witnessed a project collapse?
Often the demolition company will set up their own fencing and take it down when their job is done.

Then the construction contractors will then set up a more permanent barrier for the length of the construction.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Often the demolition company will set up their own fencing and take it down when their job is done.

Then the construction contractors will then set up a more permanent barrier for the length of the construction.
so i called cyrstal construction and they say thier waiting for owners decision to move forward with projects the teenders been completed and the owners have been given the costs. So now the owners of the bldg will decide when and how to proceed... maybe thier making more adjustments to the design

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:37 PM
BANNED

nice investigative work weezy.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 11:39 PM
BANNED

how big is Crystal, anyways? I know they're working on their William Ave project right now so maybe all their manpower/equipment is being devoted to that right now..

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
so i called cyrstal construction and they say thier waiting for owners decision to move forward with projects the teenders been completed and the owners have been given the costs. So now the owners of the bldg will decide when and how to proceed... maybe thier making more adjustments to the design
So they may still be doing it, but it sure wont be in the time frame we thought, and I am guessing it will be shrunk again since waiting costs money. I still think it is a fail project and they just do not want to admit it. Crystal is very under the table about things.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
So they may still be doing it, but it sure wont be in the time frame we thought, and I am guessing it will be shrunk again since waiting costs money. I still think it is a fail project and they just do not want to admit it. Crystal is very under the table about things.
i think they'll definitely move forward but its gonna be delayed for a while... i mean i dunno what concerns they have now over this project just get it done already

they've already spent so much on the reenderings demolition etc theres no point for them to just give up on the project. i dont think the city of wpg will be to happy if they pull out all of sudden either.. considering they did tear down some trees and stuff at the site.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 7:26 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
i think they'll definitely move forward but its gonna be delayed for a while... i mean i dunno what concerns they have now over this project just get it done already

they've already spent so much on the reenderings demolition etc theres no point for them to just give up on the project. i dont think the city of wpg will be to happy if they pull out all of sudden either.. considering they did tear down some trees and stuff at the site.
Everyone in Winnipeg SSP should group together and buy lottery tickets. If we win $50 million, we could probably build something like this! Trueviking can design it, I can design a bus shelter or something, 1ajs or Lenin (wheres Lenin?!?! he hasn't been on here in AGES) can climb it and get pics of it being built. We'd be quite the company

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:24 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
no question about that....its big, but that's about it...no real original thinking.

it looks like a massive refrigerator from most vantage points.

waste of a foster in my opinion.
Out of curiosity, do most Winnipeg forumers prefer Manitoba Hydro's design (which I love btw) to the Bow?
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 5:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Out of curiosity, do most Winnipeg forumers prefer Manitoba Hydro's design (which I love btw) to the Bow?
Personally I like the MB Hydro, I just wish it was taller, it is though very nice inside.

As for the BOW, I have never seen it inside, just from the outside and maybe if it were in a different spot I would like it, but where they built it, I just do not. Also I dislike having the cross girders on it, would have looked great also if they did it in a Yellow / Bronze, to match the Prairies, or one could say oil as well. lol. Oh ya, It also just reminds me of an updated Toronto city hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan