HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:22 PM

Doer steps down

Premier Doer is finally stepping down hopefully this gives the PC'S a better chance at victory and a stronger desire for change among Manitobans. I am so tired of us having the highest tax rate west of Quebec, not even being invited to the western premiers confrence, the constant raiding of manitoba hydro.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

A sad day for Manitoba. Let's hope his replacement can do even half as well in the areas of health, economy, poverty, and overall management.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:28 PM
BANNED

What an early Christmas gift for Hugh McF and his big head, will the NDP pick a leadership candidate weak enough for him to defeat?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 4:59 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Premier Doer is finally stepping down hopefully this gives the PC'S a better chance at victory and a stronger desire for change among Manitobans. I am so tired of us having the highest tax rate west of Quebec, not even being invited to the western premiers confrence, the constant raiding of manitoba hydro.

Now if only the MB Liberals could get their act together.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:02 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Premier Doer stepping down

By: Staff Writer | Winnipeg Free Press - 27/08/2009 11:11 AM

WINNIPEG - Premier Gary Doer will be stepping down this fall, ending his reign as Canada's longest-serving current premier.

At a hastily called news conference this morning, Doer said he won't run in the next provincial election in Oct. 2011.

He did not give an exact date for his resignation, but a press release indicated it would take place in the fall, after a replacement is chosen.

After 10 years as premier, the time is right for renewal, he said.

"I had planned to step down in and around this 10-year period," he said. "I’m a believer that if you ever have a chance to go out on your own timing, do it. Not everyone has the privilege of doing that. I’ve seen people not leave of their own accord."

Doer said he would not speak of three things: when he’s stepping down, who’s taking his place, and what he’ll be moving on to.

"I won’t be appointed to the Senate," he joked, and he won't be resting at home "watching the soaps."

The date he will step down will be made in consultation with the party, he said.

Doer was elected premier in 1999 and had led the NDP to three consecutive majorities.

"We’ve tried to govern in a different way. We’ve tried to govern for all the people in this province. We have tried to be builders in this province," he said.

He was first elected to the legislative assembly in 1986 to represent Concordia. He became leader of the NDP in the middle of the 1988 election.

Doer's resignation opens the door not only his senior cabinet ministers to run for leader, but raises the prospects for Progressive Conservative Leader Hugh McFadyen. The Tories have been in the political wilderness because of Doer's popularity.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:04 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
^ well unless the next Premier can find some new un-discovered oil/gas deposits or fabricate a new mountain range, we don't have much hope of sitting on an economical even keel with the other Western provinces in the near future. That's just a fact of life and the realities of living in a resource dominated economy like Canada's.

I personally liked Doer as a premier. I honestly thought he would be a disaster when he first took office, but he eventually won me (and a lot of other Manitobans) over in subsequent years.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Amen.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 6:57 PM

Have no fear - Blaikie is just waiting to get the nod to take over.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:44 PM

Blaikie would stand a very good chance. I do not feel that voters here are still tired of the NDP. Voters will choose to maintain the status quo...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 7:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thats random

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:06 PM
Armchair urbanist

Yeah, caught me off guard when I read it.

Looking at MBs political history, we've swayed back and forth between NDP and the Conservatives over the years. At this point though, I don't see any indication that the power will change hands and agree with rrskylar's post above. A lot can happen before the next election, but McFadden doesn't strike me as being able to lead his party over the NDP.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i always thought mcfyen was an idiot but my mother whos got the crap on them all says hes probly the better one at the helm he just has horible skills dealing with the media. i duno time will tell what happens but who ever we get better not start moth balling shit rather build on what we have and take us to the next level witch should be sustainability

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 8:40 PM

Being an ex-pat Manitoban I felt that Doer and the Dippers only cared for inside the perimeter and for northern Manitoba. If they weren't outright hostile to south and southwestern Manitoba then they were at least indifferent to any issues from that area.

So until the tories can boot them out of the government I will stay away.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Being an ex-pat Manitoban I felt that Doer and the Dippers only cared for inside the perimeter and for northern Manitoba. If they weren't outright hostile to south and southwestern Manitoba then they were at least indifferent to any issues from that area.

So until the tories can boot them out of the government I will stay away.
thats politics for yea

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

Hostile, like when they built those new Hospitals in Brandon, Swan River, and Selkirk....like when the put the MRIs in Brandon and Boundary Trails....I could go on.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:06 AM

Please do go on.

How about like that guy that died in the HSC waiting room and subsequent cover-up. And that guy that died in the US and subsequent disappearance of the health minister? And the record exodus of doctors from Manitoba.

Like how Manitoba still has hallway medicine and 6 month waits for MRI tests despite record federal transfer payments.

Please do go on.

Last edited by grumpy old man; Aug 28, 2009 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

guy died in the states u mean rodman? who i knew when i was in high school

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 1:51 AM

That's the fella...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 2:24 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ well unless the next Premier can find some new un-discovered oil/gas deposits or fabricate a new mountain range, we don't have much hope of sitting on an economical even keel with the other Western provinces in the near future. That's just a fact of life and the realities of living in a resource dominated economy like Canada's.

I personally liked Doer as a premier. I honestly thought he would be a disaster when he first took office, but he eventually won me (and a lot of other Manitobans) over in subsequent years.
Truth be told , I agree with this sentiment. I wouldn't really dismiss our natural resources outright though (Hydro could certainly be worth a lot more to us if somebody would actually focus on developing it) In any case , I'm not interested in whoever else the NDP puts at the helm...it can only get worse. As for McFadyen...uh...if HE stepped down , the PCs might have a chance. I'd still go Liberal in this province but there's no chance of them winning. Besides , I can't vote anyway.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 3:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whys that spoket?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan