HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Looking at the April 15th agenda for the HDRC;[LIST][*]Fish Market-Denied again.
Shocking

Who would want more money and jobs invested downtown? Density?... SA is scared of heights. Way to go HDRC your really moving this city forwrad

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 9:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

That ice house? Really? Historical? Really? Did the world's most famous homeless person pee on it at some point? Seriously, historic? Really?

If this isn't the evidence needed to get the current HDRC disbanded and rethink the HDRC all together, I don't know what is.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Looking at the list of historical items in SA is like walking in an "antique store" and there being nothing but old crap in there except a couple of true antiques.
Brilliant. Perfect metaphor.

miaht for HDRC president.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 6:38 PM

It would be nice if San Antonio could get a sizeable market going downtown.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t_opening.html
Quote:
Pearl Farmers Market will have a “soft opening” at 9 a.m. today.

The official opening isn’t until May 16, but farmers will be out in full force with local produce for the sneak preview. They’ll be offering seasonal goodies such as red and gold beets, leeks, onions, cauliflower, turnips, strawberries, grass-fed bison, grass-fed beef, farm-raised tilapia and farm-raised shrimp.

The Pearl Farmers Market is located at 200 E. Grayson St.
This was posted last Friday 4/10/2009

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 10:03 PM

^ That might be as close as we get for awhile. Still, its something.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 7:25 PM

Update on some projects downtown:
  • Hotel Indigo at the Alamo - set to open June 15th, confirmed that this morning. It looks like the lobby area is completed and finish out is being done now.
  • Via Information Center - sign is now posted on building finish out is being done as well.
  • Justice Center Expansion - addtion has been attatched to existing building. Large steel portion, I'm assuming it's to provide support and stabilization between the two.
  • Haven for Hope is moving along. Food service and men's residential building being worked on now. Also, the GI Forum residential building is going up as well.
Will have pics up soon.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 10:22 PM

Does anyone have any news on the Aloft downtown? I was thinking about it and hadn't seen any new info/updates on it

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:48 AM

What about the Marriott Courtyard? I was in town the first weekend of April and noticed that is still was not finished. Financial troubles (the developer is out of Florida) or just slow?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 6:34 AM
James

^^^ They just had something approved on this last agenda, so it's probably just slow.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 9:47 PM

Proud to be a Texan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:27 AM

very well done

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Cant sleep, so here's my review.

GRADE: D-. Upbeat and informative but they completely missed the boat on strategy and what was left fell apart in post-production.

Marketing for Dummies, Chapter 1. "Don't try to fix something that's not broken. Lessons from 'New Coke'." Don't re/brand something that already EXISTS as an incredibly successful brand (which is simply, Texas). Marketing folk call this cannibalization. I get the concept of leveraging the synergy of the DFW/Houston/San Antonio triangle, but they fail to consider their target audience (business leaders outside Texas). Why the need to 'brand' the geographical area bordered by the three cities (four including Austin)? Before Comerica fled Detroit for Dallas last year, did their board of directors hesitate coming here because they weren't sure if Dallas or Lubbock was closer to Houston? Has confusion regarding the geographical proximity between the large cities in the state cost us jobs or headquarters operations? El Paso, McAllen, and Amarillo aren't exactly snatching up all the 'good' Fortune 500 companies away from the "Texaplex". Hell, everyone I know in the "Texaplex" couldn't accurately place Amarillo on a map if they had to. I'm FROM Amarillo and quit counting how often people 1) confuse Amarillo with Abilene, or; 2) Think Amarillo is just past Abilene (it's five and a half hours 'just past' Abilene.) Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio ARE Texas for most things concerning business and demographics to business leaders outside the state.

The video also fails to stay on message. Much of the data is about the state as a whole; they mention 1,000 people moving to Texas every day, but fail to indicate how many chose the "Texaplex" area or why. The statewide data doesn't clarify their message, but clouds it. The message should be Texas OR the "Texaplex"- it can't be both. How many head of cattle are in Texas vs. the "Texaplex" and why is it important? If it's not important, then don't reference it. What percentage of the "10th largest economy in the world" is generated by activities in the "Texaplex?" Will I miss out on this dynamic growth if I move to Odessa? Or Laredo? Ugh. I could go on and on...

Strategy Beef B: Who the hell is David Winans? The "perfect storm of opportunity and growth" quote at the intro couldn't be coming from gospel singer David Winans, could it? How does his success in the gospel music industry qualify him to speak on the demographics, opportunities and business climate of the "10th largest economy in the world." Maybe aim a little higher next time? George H.W. Bush just did a cable PSA for Galveston Island tourism, so clearly he's available. A Texan and former President lends fantastic credibility for something like this. Even the governor would do. If the quote comes from a lesser-known David Winans, that's worse yet.

I realized the video had to be produced by someone in Dallas (which it was), with the gratuitous DFW references. It seemed to pain them to mention San Antonio. Referencing the military bases would have fit in nicely when they were promoting the stability and business opportunities in the region (not to mention the top-notch health care industry here and Houston). I really noticed SA was sitting at the back of the bus when they were talking about 'entertainment' and showed: the Ballpark at Arlington (no players, so random...), the Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros, Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars (see a theme developing here), and wait for it, no Sprus. I've never been accused of being a silver and black fan, but they are the winningest sports franchise (and by winningest, I mean in terms of championships) in the state for the last ten years. With the exception of the Stars 1999 Stanly Cup, the Spurs are the ONLY major-league franchise in the state to have won a championship, and not just one championship, but four championships. The omission is editorial laziness.

Post-Production Beef: They should have dropped some coin on top-quality stock photography for the city skyline shots. (What was that skyline they were using for San Antonio? TxAlex's pano last week from Lady Bird Lake was far superior to the shot they chose for Austin. There's some really spectacular existing video footage of Dallas and Houston that could have demonstrated the vitality of these cities instead of relying on lesser-quality static photos.)

The producing firm looks to be less than a year old. I get the sense that this is a vanity piece for them.

I almost forgot- I'm sure the 14 million Yankees and Californians who will be here by 2030 will agree with the producers that the weather here is "nice" - just don't ask them between June and September.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Last edited by TXlifeguard; Apr 20, 2009 at 8:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
Cant sleep, so here's my review.

GRADE: D-. Upbeat and informative but they completely missed the boat on strategy and what was left fell apart in post-production.

Marketing for Dummies, Chapter 1. "Don't try to fix something that's not broken. Lessons from 'New Coke'." Don't re/brand something that already EXISTS as an incredibly successful brand (which is simply, Texas). Marketing folk call this cannibalization. I get the concept of leveraging the synergy of the DFW/Houston/San Antonio triangle, but they fail to consider their target audience (business leaders outside Texas). Why the need to 'brand' the geographical area bordered by the three cities (four including Austin)? Before Comerica fled Detroit for Dallas last year, did their board of directors hesitate coming here because they weren't sure if Dallas or Lubbock was closer to Houston? Has confusion regarding the geographical proximity between the large cities in the state cost us jobs or headquarters operations? El Paso, McAllen, and Amarillo aren't exactly snatching up all the 'good' Fortune 500 companies away from the "Texaplex". Hell, everyone I know in the "Texaplex" couldn't accurately place Amarillo on a map if they had to. I'm FROM Amarillo and quit counting how often people 1) confuse Amarillo with Abilene, or; 2) Think Amarillo is just past Abilene (it's five and a half hours 'just past' Abilene.) Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio ARE Texas for most things concerning business and demographics to business leaders outside the state.

The video also fails to stay on message. Much of the data is about the state as a whole; they mention 1,000 people moving to Texas every day, but fail to indicate how many chose the "Texaplex" area or why. The statewide data doesn't clarify their message, but clouds it. The message should be Texas OR the "Texaplex"- it can't be both. How many head of cattle are in Texas vs. the "Texaplex" and why is it important? If it's not important, then don't reference it. What percentage of the "10th largest economy in the world" is generated by activities in the "Texaplex?" Will I miss out on this dynamic growth if I move to Odessa? Or Laredo? Ugh. I could go on and on...

Strategy Beef B: Who the hell is David Winans? The "perfect storm of opportunity and growth" quote at the intro couldn't be coming from gospel singer David Winans, could it? How does his success in the gospel music industry qualify him to speak on the demographics, opportunities and business climate of the "10th largest economy in the world." Maybe aim a little higher next time? George H.W. Bush just did a cable PSA for Galveston Island tourism, so clearly he's available. A Texan and former President lends fantastic credibility for something like this. Even the governor would do. If the quote comes from a lesser-known David Winans, that's worse yet.

I realized the video had to be produced by someone in Dallas (which it was), with the gratuitous DFW references. It seemed to pain them to mention San Antonio. Referencing the military bases would have fit in nicely when they were promoting the stability and business opportunities in the region (not to mention the top-notch health care industry here and Houston). I really noticed SA was sitting at the back of the bus when they were talking about 'entertainment' and showed: the Ballpark at Arlington (no players, so random...), the Dallas Mavericks, Houston Astros, Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars (see a theme developing here), and wait for it, no Sprus. I've never been accused of being a silver and black fan, but they are the winningest sports franchise (and by winningest, I mean in terms of championships) in the state for the last ten years. With the exception of the Stars 1999 Stanly Cup, the Spurs are the ONLY major-league franchise in the state to have won a championship, and not just one championship, but four championships. The omission is editorial laziness.

Post-Production Beef: They should have dropped some coin on top-quality stock photography for the city skyline shots. (What was that skyline they were using for San Antonio? TxAlex's pano last week from Lady Bird Lake was far superior to the shot they chose for Austin. There's some really spectacular existing video footage of Dallas and Houston that could have demonstrated the vitality of these cities instead of relying on lesser-quality static photos.)

The producing firm looks to be less than a year old. I get the sense that this is a vanity piece for them.

I almost forgot- I'm sure the 14 million Yankees and Californians who will be here by 2030 will agree with the producers that the weather here is "nice" - just don't ask them between June and September.

As far as I understand, there are three main messages that this video delivers.

1. Affordability:
a. no state income tax
b. cheaper to do business
c. cheaper land/real estate
2. Growth:
a. population
b. economy
c. more demand for jobs and real estate
3. stability:
a. stable weather conditions
b. consistent population growth
c. Consistent job increase
d. Consistent home values.......

If I were to sum it up I would say.....
" Hey all you business owners and investors!.....Come on over and bring your money!......It Safe down here!!!"

TXLifeGuard.........You made this seem more complicated than it really is.

ANYWAYS......Does anybody know the status on the possible W Hotel on Houston St.?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post

ANYWAYS......Does anybody know the status on the possible W Hotel on Houston St.?
Nothing official, but I would call the status "postponed" or "on hold" and even that might be a stretch. We have a few projects already in queue (Courtyard by Marriott, Hotel Indigo, Towneplace Suites and the Emabssy Suites) on or near Houston St. and I would think they would want those to soak in a little before they move forward with the ones that have not turned dirt yet. There are some that are planned for downtown that might even be ahead of W. Springhill Suites at the old Ace Mart on the corner of Flores and Durango might be the next to turn dirt. Then theres the Hyatt Summerfield at the Texas Building and of course the Aloft on Houston.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 10:25 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren
a. stable weather conditions
What?

I seem to remember an old Texan saying "Don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes."

That doesn't sound stable to me. I guess in the lower portion of the Texas triangle the weather is more stable than in the rest of the state, though. Other areas of the state can have some crazy weather though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:21 AM

I found this picture of downtown circa 2003 on flickr.

It shows Market Street just before Navarro St looking east.

What you don't see is Hotel Contessa (parking lot), Grand Hyatt or Staybridge.

by: bmpowell

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:31 AM

A more recent photo of the street, though a little further away, before St. Mary's.

by andrewville

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 10:54 PM

The Grand Hyatt from that angle is great.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 5:51 AM
Meh

That's my favorite view of the Hyatt. I actually really like the color of the building, especially the windows.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2009, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
Does anyone have any news on the Aloft downtown? I was thinking about it and hadn't seen any new info/updates on it
I went by yesterday to see the progress at the Neisner and noticed the Tawil's sign was coming down at the site???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
What about the Marriott Courtyard? I was in town the first weekend of April and noticed that is still was not finished. Financial troubles (the developer is out of Florida) or just slow?
It is being painted on the side facing the Holiday Inn. They are still working on it. Slow I guess.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio