HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:56 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

LRT= Maybe

Subway= Snowball's chance in hell for the next few centuries

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 12:19 AM
Urban Dreamer

Agreed Trojan. Subways are really a waste in my mind. Even urban planning moguls such as the Europeans are focusing their efforts more on LRT's They are a literally a fraction of the cost and just as effective. Plus their visual impact of transit really aids in promoting the use of the item. I think it's safe to say Saskatoon will never have a subway, they could build an LRT for the whole city for a subway that just stretches from downtown to the university.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 5:34 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Yes, I agree that pre-planning for that is the best thing you guys could do. Winnipeg was larger than both Calgary and Edmonton at the time Edmonton & Calgary implemented LRT systems. And guess what? Today we still don't have one...in fact there is more argument over whether or not it should be LRT or BRT than there is the focus of actually building something.
Rock... where do you get the idea that Katz supports a BRT?

In September 2008 I met with Mayor Katz, Jeff Lowe, and Nick Ternette in the Mayor's Office and he said himself that he will put in LRT and will replace WT with another administrative unit and it will serve past the Perim. Hwy. so it earns more $$ (larger service area).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post

In September 2008 I met with Mayor Katz, Jeff Lowe, and Nick Ternette in the Mayor's Office and he said himself that he will put in LRT and will replace WT with another administrative unit and it will serve past the Perim. Hwy. so it earns more $$ (larger service area).
Ridiculous...Extending LRT past the perimeter? Seriously? The further out you go, the less profitable, not the other way around (in almost every case)...Larger service area for what? An extra few thousand people? Hypothetically, if LRT went to the U of M, why would we expand it past the perimeter? The extra tens of millions it would cost would not be worth the miniscule increase in ridership from Fort Richmond and St. Norbert...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Ridiculous...Extending LRT past the perimeter? Seriously? The further out you go, the less profitable, not the other way around (in almost every case)...Larger service area for what? An extra few thousand people? Hypothetically, if LRT went to the U of M, why would we expand it past the perimeter? The extra tens of millions it would cost would not be worth the miniscule increase in ridership from Fort Richmond and St. Norbert...
No, I think he's referring to the regular BUS transit service of WT, not the LRT. I would say it's worth looking at for certain areas such as St. Norbert, Headingley, East and West St. Paul who are directly adjacent to the city and have thousands of people coming into the city for work and school. This is definately something the city should be looking.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post

read the last sentence of my post. I'm aware Katz prefers LRT, but right now the corridor that's being built is being built as a BRT corridor as far as I know, and the funding for LRT is not a "set-in-stone" thing yet. Once I start seeing rail being put it, label me a happy man that Katz got re-elected. Plus, you're going to have to point out to me how much farther we have come along with respect to LRT in the Peg since Sept 2008 other than council approval and a couple of studies done...

my point was specifically regarding the Sask poster who didn't know/seemed like they didnt know there was a corridor under construction currently, and more so the fact that pre-planning works wonders, so if Saskatoon planners are seriously committed to planning RT, and following through with it, in the toon right now, then thats a good thing. We've been planning for decades but nothing has been done about it until now, whereas two other cities planned + followed through on it, and were both smaller than the Peg at the time when they started planning.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:36 PM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
New bridge idea

South end of ill-fated bridge could be lopped off: city report

By David Hutton,
The StarPhoenix November 16, 2010 3:15 AM

The Traffic Bridge shown Monday, including southernmost span which is entirely over ground
Photograph by: Greg Pender, The StarPhoenix, The StarPhoenix

Whether the Traffic Bridge is replaced or saved, the iconic structure could lose one of its five sections, the manager of the city's infrastructure services branch said Monday. [....]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/b...#ixzz15RyhYcKB

Think it could be possibly used as an LRT bridge? Than going underground perhaps with stops in Nutana, River Landing, 21st street (underground pedway to Midtown Plaza) 23rd (Bus Mall) and 25th street than going above ground to serve the outlying areas? It's a much smaller scale version of Edmonton's but also, Saskatoon isn't exactly tropical so perhaps a an underground link system would work? In all, I'm not sure of how large the area actually is but I like the idea of it going underground. There are more corridors running through the city more than veins through a 6'5 human. Maybe also BRT running along 8th and 22nd? Again, I know it's not really my territory as I'm from Ontario and have never been but I've been following this whole boom closely so just putting my 2-cents. Who knows...........

Also, lol I went blue in the face one afternoon and figured I'd map up a BRT/LRT system for the city Blue=BRT. Red=LRT. From what I've heard recently though...Saskatoon seems to moving quite forward but needs a killer transit system in place. I look forward to visiting once RL is complete and hopefully some of the projects in place will be in fruition. Your VIA Stn seems to be out in the boons :@ Is there any room within the city to relocate it? Perhaps even make a stn in the south end of the city where there are some railyards. Direct link to downtown via. light rail anyways!

Last edited by c@taract_soulj@h; Nov 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:40 PM
working stiff

Some historical goodies...

Source material:

Amazon link
Saskatoon's electric transit: The story of Saskatoon's streetcars and trolley buses
. Also available at the public library.

And

CN/CP Joint Track Usage Inquiry - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - Rail Routing Options Analysis. National Transportation Agency of Canada. December 1988.

Also found an online source with a collection of Saskatchewan trolley bus photos. The site had a few network maps as well.

http://davesrailpix.com/odds/sk/sk.htm

Source

The following maps were presented in a report titled: CN/CP Joint Track Usage Inquiry - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - Rail Routing Options Analysis. National Transportation Agency of Canada. December 1988.

The route options emerged through a series of discussions between the City, CP and CN. Relocating the Sutherland CP yards was not given serious consideration.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 5:17 AM

Well today I was at an urban planning seminar with the CSC (Construction Specifications Canada) and there was talk in their long term plans for ROWs being developed for BRT and LRT (BRT preferred at this point due to size.

As well, as a shift in talks after south Bridge is done to get the North bridge development planning started with the Gov't of Saskatchewan. Also a portion of the Bypass in the Southeast where the Briarwood golf course is and starting that highway and interchanges soon. As well on the scope of planned interchanges. McOrmind and #5 Boychuck and 16 and Attridge and Central

just some FYI for you all.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan