HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 4:51 PM

Interesting story.

The problem I have with these kind of stories, is it sounds like he left Winnipeg before making his mark. It's not just a Winnipeg-thing, I mean that with all Canadians that we call our "own" well after they leave to find their calling somewhere else.

And, though it does sound like the Bond character could be based on this man - the article does make it sound speculative anyway.

At least with "Winnie-the-pooh", isn't Winnie short for Winnipeg?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Interesting story.

The problem I have with these kind of stories, is it sounds like he left Winnipeg before making his mark. It's not just a Winnipeg-thing, I mean that with all Canadians that we call our "own" well after they leave to find their calling somewhere else.

And, though it does sound like the Bond character could be based on this man - the article does make it sound speculative anyway.

At least with "Winnie-the-pooh", isn't Winnie short for Winnipeg?
That he may have re "made his mark" after leaving Winnipeg, however I often think it is a person's home town experiences/relatives/friends/teachers that help influence/mold their life long interests.

Moose Jaw also had a native son who contributed a great deal to the war effort. That person being a Mr. William Benjamin (Pat) deForest Bayly who was very well known to Mr. Stephenson. http://jproc.ca/crypto/rockex.html At times he could have been Q.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan