HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
Hey that actually looks pretty good.
It's funny how opinions can differ so wildly, haha.

I think it looks bland AF. What a weak effort for an otherwise beautiful architectural success.

Edit; that may well have been the intent. But, man, fail.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
It's funny how opinions can differ so wildly, haha.

I think it looks bland AF. What a weak effort for an otherwise beautiful architectural success.

Edit; that may well have been the intent. But, man, fail.
Ha - I can see that. As far as murals goes it's def pretty weak - but glad they didn't just leave it as a standard unfinished parking garage

This on the other hand I really love:

Last edited by BrickellBased; Sep 18, 2024 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 11:02 PM

Zoning app is up for the 71 unit senior building planned at 5300 S Calumet, will be 78 ft tall. Semi-related, Washington Park has been getting a lot of infill development this past year. Probably because there are a shrinking number of residential lots in Bronzeville and Woodlawn to develop

Zoning App: https://chicityclerkelms.chicago.gov...1-001DD804C7AB
Article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2024/03/fun...gton-park.html

There's also another affordable housing development for 6301 S Western, 65 ft and 44 units.

https://chicityclerkelms.chicago.gov...1-001DD8306DF0

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:06 AM

919 on Fulton

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:31 AM

10-120 S Riverside Plaza

Looks like the new plaza along the west side of the river between Madison and Adams opened in the past few days. Here's a few pictures:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmetro View Post
Looks like the new plaza along the west side of the river between Madison and Adams opened in the past few days. Here's a few pictures:
It's sort of bizarre, but not unheard of lately that the entrances to the two buildings have now been redone twice in less than 10 years.

I'll need to go visit the new plaza and see how it came out. From the photos it doesn't seem to be a big improvement over what was there before...just different...and now at least for the short term with less shade.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 6:33 PM

Needs more seating.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:23 PM

I think the renovation was more for the lobby of the office building and they kind of just lumped in renewing the plaza while they were tearing things up.

You can see in the last pic the very tall entrance that was added like they did on the west side of Willis Tower. And apparently there is a terrace on top now as there's someone up there in the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
It's sort of bizarre, but not unheard of lately that the entrances to the two buildings have now been redone twice in less than 10 years.

I'll need to go visit the new plaza and see how it came out. From the photos it doesn't seem to be a big improvement over what was there before...just different...and now at least for the short term with less shade.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:46 PM

1400 W North Ave

I was just browsing around on Sterling Bay's website and noticed a proposed project at 1400 W North Ave. I've never seen anything on this before. Does anyone know anything about this project?

I realize this is Sterling Bay, so I doubt this ever breaks ground, but interesting to see, nonetheless. I personally think that North Ave/Elston area has a ton of potential.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:32 PM

That's been on their website for a few years now. Sterling Bay probably came up with it to start luring and build confidence in investors that the North Branch, and thus Lincoln Yards, are worthwhile endeavors to fund

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
I think the renovation was more for the lobby of the office building and they kind of just lumped in renewing the plaza while they were tearing things up.

You can see in the last pic the very tall entrance that was added like they did on the west side of Willis Tower. And apparently there is a terrace on top now as there's someone up there in the pic.
Right, but the lobbies were just renovated with new canopies and first floor amenity spaces around 2017. Then they tore all of that out and did it again. I assume that was due to an ownership change.

Like I said, I've seen that a lot lately though. In 2013 I was part of lobby and exterior improvements at 300 S. Wacker. Those changes lasted about 5 years before about half of them were undone in another refresh.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post

I realize this is Sterling Bay, so I doubt this ever breaks ground
Man ... sucks that Sterling Bay has gone from one of the biggest and most dependable players in commercial real estate to this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 10:31 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Right, but the lobbies were just renovated with new canopies and first floor amenity spaces around 2017. Then they tore all of that out and did it again. I assume that was due to an ownership change.

Like I said, I've seen that a lot lately though. In 2013 I was part of lobby and exterior improvements at 300 S. Wacker. Those changes lasted about 5 years before about half of them were undone in another refresh.
Looking at google maps, it seems like they redid the plazas in 2012. I don't see any evidence of big changes in 2017. Renovating/refreshing amenity spaces doesn't seem like a big deal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:04 AM

Quote:

This is Solarwind's pic from last summer from https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=52359

They added the balcony thing and redid the first floor.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:43 AM

1162 N Milwaukee ave

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Looking at google maps, it seems like they redid the plazas in 2012. I don't see any evidence of big changes in 2017. Renovating/refreshing amenity spaces doesn't seem like a big deal.
Okay my dates were a little off. Looking at Google maps the plaza on 10 South was around 2012. The Plaza on 120 South was around 2014. Both buildings got new lobbies and canopies around 2015. In any case I don't thi9nk it changes my point. I understand that the office market is a tight one especially right now and there is a lot of pressure to keep things fresh and new to retain tenants, but there's something to be said about the waste of materials that have lifespans far beyond the ones they get in some of these buildings.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Former R Nathaniel Dett Elementary demolition

Located at Oakley Blvd and Lake St. Anyone know if anything is planned to be built here?

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

Thinking a bit out of the box regarding where the Art Institute might build it's new wing...

Does the School of the Art Institute of Chicago actually need to be in main Art Institute building?

It occurs to me that they already have a bunch of programs and facilities located in the loop within 3 or 4 blocks of there, and that there is a lot of loop office space in need of creative reuse these days.

If SAIC were given some of that money to rehome itself in former loop office space, then that would free up plenty of room for a new wing on the south east corner of the museum. And not having to build over the tracks would likely make it simpler and more affordable...

I'm honestly not sure if this is workable. Maybe the SAIC gets too much benefit from being right there in the museum, or it's wing of the building is itself worth saving, I don't know.

Old Posted Today, 12:34 AM

Demolition has started at 1130 S Wabash.

Last edited by Tcmetro; Today at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:33 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

^I know this makes the most sense currently, but this one makes me a little sad. Went to school on that block and I love those old warehouse buildings.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development