HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 9:14 PM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck4ABigChicago View Post
^
i tink dat construkshun shuld might be untel da next precsident on hold untul tomorow. but wen wil construckshun top owt? I tink da markts might b a litle shaky.

Classic post kayo
OMG....I laughed so hard that I almost started to cry. That was AWESOME....

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
^
i tink dat construkshun shuld might be untel da next precsident on hold untul tomorow. but wen wil construckshun top owt? I tink da markts might b a litle shaky.
i think some iced tea just came out of my nose reading that.

Well played.

And I just noticed---what the heck does "PENDING" mean (referring to title?) First time I've seen it, is that some sort of "ON HOLD LITE" status?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 11:43 PM

^That's exactly what it means. . .

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Not looking to good with the European bank problems and Iceland meltdown.
Hope the capital injections get enough cash flow to allow this project to get back on track. As long as its done by the Chicago 2016 Olympics I will be happy!

Andy, hope you have a great time in Chicago. The September weather is
almost always the best for the Great Lakes. This year its October.
Global warming!!! Love your videos.
I heard Iceland went bankrupt! Thats really bad for all of europe.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
I heard Iceland went bankrupt! Thats really bad for all of europe.
well, it's REALLY bad for Iceland !

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 5:12 PM

Smile hiya

Hiya guys and gals,

had a great time so far in town. Went to the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium on Friday and met a real life astronaut there who was in for the 50th NASA anniversary. Saturday John aka jjk1103 drove me around town to see the University Campus and the Museum of Science and Industrie on one site and all the way north to the other site where we had a nice dinner. After dropping me of near Millenium Park i checked out A/ON, BCBS and AQUA in person and spent a nice afternoon relaxing in the park checking out the BEAN and the Fountains with the funny faces. In the evening I really enjoyed our group gathering and meeting BVIC, HarryC, Tom in Chicago and ChicagoShawn and a few others in person. I had a great time and now a nice relaxing Sunday sleeping long to avoid the Marathon Crowds. So it was a great visit to the city, just sad that I have to leave tomorrow afternoon.

Greets Andy

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 9:02 PM

andydie...if you brought this weather, would you mind leaving it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2008, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
Hiya guys and gals,

had a great time so far in town. Went to the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium on Friday and met a real life astronaut there who was in for the 50th NASA anniversary. Saturday John aka jjk1103 drove me around town to see the University Campus and the Museum of Science and Industrie on one site and all the way north to the other site where we had a nice dinner. After dropping me of near Millenium Park i checked out A/ON, BCBS and AQUA in person and spent a nice afternoon relaxing in the park checking out the BEAN and the Fountains with the funny faces. In the evening I really enjoyed our group gathering and meeting BVIC, HarryC, Tom in Chicago and ChicagoShawn and a few others in person. I had a great time and now a nice relaxing Sunday sleeping long to avoid the Marathon Crowds. So it was a great visit to the city, just sad that I have to leave tomorrow afternoon.

Greets Andy

Great to hear you had a great time. I know how you must feel having to leave, have a safe trip home and do come back soon.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 3:03 AM

.....ok, be sure that you take us around Germany when we get over there (if the dollar vs Euro ever drops).........

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 6:03 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Well, I guess they could always turn it into a Halloween attraction called "The Pit" to get some extra revenues. Think of the creepy stairway-like haunted house you could put inside that hole!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:49 AM

Oct 13 - am

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 & 4 series

I can see the logic behind this, but it is sad. Everyone seemed drawn to the edge, the view must have been inspiring.

Last edited by harryc; Oct 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 3:28 AM
Content provider

starting to look a little sad, but we're all hopeful

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 5:11 AM

damn, the fence doesnt look good at all, or promising, but could it have any other mean? i dont know, some kind of protection for the workers around while digging the other side? i dont know! probably?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
damn, the fence doesnt look good at all, or promising, but could it have any other mean? i dont know, some kind of protection for the workers around while digging the other side? i dont know! probably?
Yea, I would be curious to hear from some of the forumers who work in the industry whether this is something they have seen before (the fence). It appears from Harry's pictures that there is only a single entrance in the fence and it is meant to be used by individuals rather than any sort of machinery. That really is the only thing I took from the pictures but that is enough to sadden me a little. BUT, good things come to those who wait.

I foresee....Wall St is done playing us off each other now that its got its cheap money from us, the market will solidify and credit will loosen, and in the 6 to 10 months this takes to happen, the Spire will fill. GK, now facing a stronger market, will bring together his teams of people to brainstorm what should be done with all these people who want a room in the now-sold-out Spire. He will consider two options: 1) build another, 2) increase the size of what has already sold out to accommodate more buyers at higher prices

Aight, sorry to get off-topic a bit, but my point is that I, without and quantitative evidence, have a feeling this thing will continue to sell units. Many may stay on the sidelines, but there will still be some. I will be interested to see if a building like this, or should I say a building being marketed like this (as a Calatrava, one of a kind master-piece) will sell out in spite of this financial "meltdown."
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 11:52 AM

Dalton's wheelbarrow

I don't get over there much and can't tell from HarryC's pic. Look for electrical power wiring to that trailer. That trailer has an electric heater that needs at least 100A. No power means nobody's using it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:01 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Governments around the world are taking unprecedented steps to bring liquidity back to the debt markets. Hopefully these steps will restore confidence in projects like this. Also lets not forget the Olympic bid will be announced a year from now. If Chicago gets it, I think that will ignite another speculative fire, with the Spire leading the way.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
Governments around the world are taking unprecedented steps to bring liquidity back to the debt markets. Hopefully these steps will restore confidence in projects like this. Also lets not forget the Olympic bid will be announced a year from now. If Chicago gets it, I think that will ignite another speculative fire, with the Spire leading the way.

That may be the only hope for this thing at this point.

It will be interesting to find out how Kelleher's other business are doing. Irish and UK property markets are not too hot right now.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 4:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
andydie...if you brought this weather, would you mind leaving it.
if I could I would give you that weather all year, lol.

Well Sunday i slept long and was bored so after the Marathon was over i took a cab to the Sears Tower to go on its skydeck too. What an awesome view. Then i walked back downtown to see Waterview, 300NL and the RR Donelley Building up close. Then at Trump they were doing some filming for ER and that was interesting to catch. Sadly when i returned back to my hotel i missed the sidewalk and hit the road a bit hard and hurt my ankle a lil but I was glad that it was better the next morning. So I met early_buyer in a Dunkin Donuts for an hour which was really nice cause he is a cool guy too. After that i said fairwell to the city and checked out Noon Monday and went to the airport. The flight back was ok, just the landing sucked cause i had ear pains. Gladly its much better now after I arrived home and took some rest. All around it was an awesome trip to Chicagoland and it was so cool to meet many of you guys in person. Maybe I will be back next year!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 7:34 PM

^It was great meeting you Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
My guess, this a required act to secure the site during the slowdown. When the site sits idle, there needs to be protection from idiots who may trespass and hurt or kill themselfs by falling into the hole and then suing Shelborne, the city or whoever else they can. We don't need to worry until we see truckloads of sand and gravel filling the hole up, which all honesty IMO, we won't ever see because I truly believe this tower will be built eventually.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 2:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
How could they sue if they were dead?

Well luckily the economy and stock market has looked a little better since yesterday but who knows what will happen. This tower will eventually get built, maybe next year maybe 5 years from now but it will def be before the chicago 2016 Olympics!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects