HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 1:39 PM

Sneak Peak at Facade & Construction Update for 217 West 57th Street, aka Nordstrom Tower
By: Nikolai Fedak
8:00 am on February 2, 2016

Quote:
YIMBY has brought you continual updates on the progress of Extell’s 217 West 57th Street, a.k.a. Nordstrom Tower (officially Central Park Tower), and now we have the first photos of what the facade for the building will actually look like, as well as an update on progress. The image comes from an anonymous tipster and shows the glass that will appear over the top of the Nordstrom floors, crowning the retail podium in a series of undulating curves, and demarcating the boundary between the pedestrian realm and the supertall that will cantilever up above.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 3:32 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 7:28 PM
don't *meddle*...

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ttan-flagship/

Nordstrom shows plans for elaborate Manhattan flagship
Originally published February 11, 2016 at 6:33 am Updated February 11, 2016 at 9:08 am

Rendering of planned Nordstrom Manhattan flagship store on West 57th Street (Nordstrom)

Nordstrom unveils the footprint and exterior design of its planned New York flagship store.

Quote:
By Janet I. Tu
Seattle Times business reporter

Nearly four years after Nordstrom announced plans for its first full-line store in Manhattan, the Seattle retailer unveiled the footprint and exterior design of its New York City flagship.

The 363,000-square-foot store in the Columbus Circle neighborhood of midtown Manhattan is expected to open in 2019.
[...]
Quote:
The exterior of the new construction will feature “unique seven-level glass waveforms facades,” intended to catch the light and changes in light as the sun angles shift, according to Nordstrom. It will be created by James Carpenter Design Associates.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ttan-flagship/

Nordstrom shows plans for elaborate Manhattan flagship
Originally published February 11, 2016 at 6:33 am Updated February 11, 2016 at 9:08 am

Rendering of planned Nordstrom Manhattan flagship store on West 57th Street (Nordstrom)

Nordstrom unveils the footprint and exterior design of its planned New York flagship store.
I like the design of the store's facade. Something different for NYC I think. It's a grave pity that the tower shaft couldn't have had a similar facade instead of being a simple modernist box.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:40 PM

^ I was expecting something better based on the previous renders. I do not think it fits very well with the existing buildings. Perhaps it will l look better in real life.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
^ I was expecting something better based on the previous renders. I do not think it fits very well with the existing buildings. Perhaps it will l look better in real life.
OK, but that's why I like it. It is a standout design, rather than trying to fit in with diverse older styles that look very different. I think it would look very dull and contrived if they tried to fit in with the adjacent buildings. It would also probably not suit the store. They dont want to just fit in, they want to say, 'look at us, we're cool, hip, and departments stores are still the place to go' Nordstrom obviously want to advertise their presence in a modern/hip way and I think they did a good job of creating a flashy yet not overly ostentatious or cheap/gaudy design. For instance, if it had been another random facade type look, it would have been really cheap looking.

Moreover, if the entire tower had that rippling facade it would be far more a crowed pleaser and be a better thing for NY. The tower is only special because it's tall not because it has a good design. Only devout fans of Le Corbusier's doctrines and height nuts would be excited about this pile of corporate greed. If it were short, it wouldn't get a second look by most people which shows that the design is only an after thought to the height of the tower. This is a tower that is made to get views and profits primarily and not to give much back visually. Most people on the street will not be inspired as it's a corporate profit generating design. Finally, I don't like the disconnect between the interesting Nordstrom facade at street level and the boxy glass facade of the main tower shaft. The fact that it's a flat topped tower also makes it worse. The spire should have remained.

Last edited by aquablue; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:55 PM
Walk taker

Is that a blank wall I spy? I'm worried the entire area beneath the cantilever and the Art Student's League will be completely devoid of windows.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
Is that a blank wall I spy? I'm worried the entire area beneath the cantilever and the Art Student's League will be completely devoid of windows.
Not even that, looks like it will be just concrete, no glass ?. I am surprised they could not come up with better transition from store to the tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
High res.:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post

That looks better, I like it from that angle. I wonder when are we going to see official renders for the tower.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 12:55 AM

wow . . Nordstrom's expansion into that beautiful stone building . .
at the SE corner of 58th & B'way . . with the cornice & the curved corner . .
labeled 5 Columbus Circle . . is brilliant ! . .
so the store extends out into all the existing ground floor space along B'way ? . . .

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 1:54 AM
Urban Explorer

Nordstrom taking over the whole city!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
so the store extends out into all the existing ground floor space along B'way ? . . .
Yes. The adjacent (landmarked) building is being connected to the new tower, and the department store will flow seamlessly between buildings.

And the men's store will be across the street, at 3 Columbus Circle. Nordstrom is basically making a giant "campus" in Midtown.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Not even that, looks like it will be just concrete, no glass ?. I am surprised they could not come up with better transition from store to the tower.
I think the tower in these renders is intentionally vague so as to continue to keep the design "secret"

I don't think these renders tell us anything about the tower itself, and that is probably the intent.

That's my guess anyway...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 5:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Just release the official renders already. I'll settle for even one.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 9:00 AM

This provides the best explanation of the plan to integrate the buildings:

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/ar...#photo-9389262

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 7:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
This provides the best explanation of the plan to integrate the buildings:

That's pretty much the way most of the large department stores in the city evolved over the years, to cover multiple buildings. That's why this store will have the look and feel like it has always been there, a perfect fit for the streetscape.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:02 AM

Going up sloooowly.

December 28th, 2015

February 13th, 2016

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:06 PM

How tall is the core now? Is it still rising?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive