HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:29 PM

Madrid Is Covering Itself In Plants To Help Fight Rising Temperatures

Madrid Is Covering Itself In Plants To Help Fight Rising Temperatures

By ADELE PETERS

Read More: http://www.fastcoexist.com/3056166/m...g-temperatures

Quote:
In Madrid, pretty much every unused space will soon be covered in plants. The city is spending millions to expand existing parks, and as many roofs and walls will be covered with greenery as possible. Twenty-two vacant lots will be turned into urban gardens. Paved squares will become parks that can suck up rainfall.

- Near the river that runs through the middle of the city—where a major highway was torn down in 2003—the city is spending over $4.3 million to finish filling in the banks with trees. As the city starts to ban cars from central streets, the Department of the Environment is considering turning some of those streets into linear, tree-filled parks, too. It's all part of sweeping plan to help adapt to some of the biggest challenges the city faces from climate change: More blisteringly hot days, more severe drought, and—when it does rain—heavier floods.

- "The idea is that over time as these interventions increase they will work together—and work with other larger city climate change schemes and projects—to help build vital climate change resilience at a larger scale up to city scale," says Tom Armour, director of global landscape architecture for Arup, the design and engineering firm that worked with Madrid to create a long menu of ways the city can prepare by integrating more nature into the concrete.

- Each of the planned changes in landscaping can help. Planting gardens on roofs, and adding plants on outdoor walls, helps insulate buildings so they can save energy, and helps reduce street noise. But it also helps bring down local temperatures by shading pavement and by releasing evaporated water that can create clouds. In pilot green roof tests in some Madrid neighborhoods, temperatures went down more than four degrees. Replacing paved squares with plantings that can absorb and store water will help the city cope with more frequent heavy rain.

- "The improvements presented are practical and effective and can be undertaken across the city in many locations," says Armour. "They are buffer, localized solutions aimed to adapt the city to the different effects of climate change scenarios to build resilience." Though drought will be more common, the city can handle more plants. By redesigning paved areas to capture and store water instead of letting rain run off, the city can supply all of the gardens with as much water as they need. And choosing the right plants for Madrid's arid climate also matters.

- Adding vegetation can also help the city with its smog problem. Madrid, one of the most polluted cities in Europe, bans some traffic and makes public transit free on the filthiest days, and will ban diesel cars in the city center by 2020. Plants can help more, because keeping the temperature cooler helps prevent ozone-forming pollution. A 2015 study suggested that "industrial-scale" tree planting is an important way that cities can fight pollution.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:05 PM
Never Dell

Is there an air inversion problem, or what are the core issues on pollution? I wonder why a city that's so forward looking and well-planned would be considered one of the most polluted in Europe.

I've been once, about 25 years ago. It was awesome. The boulevards were what Paris' ought to have been (narrower, greener, less traffic). The phone booths and subway were clean and had full instructions in four languages. Add the river and inititatives like this and is seems like a planning paradise. Sort of Melbourne to Barcelona's Sydney.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 10:18 PM

thats awesome and im jealous

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:22 PM

^ Uh, you don't have to...

This is just a meaningless local gadget that hipster Paris might have inspired to them IMO, and it will take much more, to the global scale to do a real good environmental job.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:45 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I've often wondered which is better for cooling a city--more greenery or more reflective surfaces (e.g. white rooftops).

I know Sacramento went with the former, and I know its considerable tree canopy has take a few degrees off the hottest days compared with denuded parts of the region (mostly the newer suburban areas). Do lighter rooftops and pavements have the same effect?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:55 PM
Never Dell

This isn't about changing world climate mousquet. It's about making Madrid more adaptable to the changing climate. And dealing with the localized heat island.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:03 AM

This sort of thing could so well in the South, maybe not so realistic in the dryer areas if that amount of greenery wouldn't survive there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 2:25 AM
The Vomit Bag.

where's the downside again?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 3:15 AM

I'm excited to see what the results look like! Many parts of Southern California and the sunbelt could similarly benefit from having a greater tree canopy.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
where's the downside again?
Needs a lot of water?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 10:41 PM

I like how the visualizations are just normal photographs with a bunch of trees photoshopped onto them. :p

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 11:00 PM
Posh

Maybe it'll shoo away some of the pigeons.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Needs a lot of water?
Shouldn't be a problem if native trees and plants are used. There's also the problem of cleanup. Palm trees can be a pain when they're dropping fronds or nuts all over. Certain fruit trees can stain sidewalks or create slicks. Leaf drop could be a problem in some areas.

Point is, you can't just throw any old trees up there. But I'm sure most cities implementing this have considered all those things and are being smart about it.

Mhays is correct. This is much more about controlling local climatic aspects. Trees can help regulate temperature, humidity, wind, air particulates and precipitation runoff.

It's kind of a no brainer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I've often wondered which is better for cooling a city--more greenery or more reflective surfaces (e.g. white rooftops).

Do lighter rooftops and pavements have the same effect?
Good question. Personally, I'm not sold on green roofs and green buildings (ie plant material growing on walls). Seems like a lot of work to get right.

Having a good tree canopy and adding more reflective surface doesn't have to be at odds with each other though.

The bonus with trees is the shade. No amount of lightening is going to stop the sun from beating down on you. This probably matters more in lower latitudes than it does up north. Even a cool day can become uncomfortable if you're getting too much direct sun. So my preference is always for shade trees.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions