HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 4:51 PM

https://www.country94.ca/2022/09/02/...lights-at-ysj/

One extra daily flight to Toronto and Montreal from Saint John with AC. This is much needed.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
https://www.country94.ca/2022/09/02/...lights-at-ysj/

One extra daily flight to Toronto and Montreal from Saint John with AC. This is much needed.
Article mentioned “Flair wrapping up” - guess YSJ didn’t make their winter schedule.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 9:00 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Article mentioned “Flair wrapping up” - guess YSJ didn’t make their winter schedule.
They didn’t last year either. Hopefully be back again next spring. They have to concentrate on the more viable winter routes like Abbotsford to Tucson

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
They didn’t last year either. Hopefully be back again next spring. They have to concentrate on the more viable winter routes like Abbotsford to Tucson
Correction it’s Lethbridge. Not that it would make any more sense.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 11:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Fly south with Direct Flights from Greater Moncton this winter!
SEPTEMBER 9, 2022

Greater Moncton, N.B., September 9, 2022 – The Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) is pleased to announce that you can fly south this winter with direct flights from YQM to sunny destinations in Cuba, Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica. Beginning in early February there are options to leave for a variety of sun destinations five days each week this winter with Sunwing or Air Transat. Destinations include weekly flights to Montego Bay and Puerto Plata and, new this year, with Sunwing Airlines a weekly flight to Cayo Coco. As well, there will be flights twice weekly to Varadero, Cancun, and Punta Cana.

“Travel recovery is in full swing and we know travelers have been dreaming about returning to popular sun destinations this winter. We are thrilled to announce these dreams can now become a reality. Thanks to our partner airlines, Sunwing Airlines and Air Transat, we will offer flights to 6 destinations
weekly beginning in early February with 9 flights to sun destinations per week.
Adding Cayo Coco will allow for a direct flight to another destination in Cuba and we anticipate it will be very popular.”, said Courtney Burns, YQM President and CEO.
The snowbird flight schedule is out for YQM

A new destination this year - Cayo Coco Cuba

On the other hand, as of yet, there is no Florida flight operating this year, but the airport is working on this file.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:45 PM

Anyone know what they're up to at Moncton YQM runway 11? Lots of dirt being moved around with heavy equipment.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Anyone know what they're up to at Moncton YQM runway 11? Lots of dirt being moved around with heavy equipment.
They're creating a safety buffer at the end of the runway, in case there is a runway overshoot. It's a Transport Canada requirement, and the work was necessary.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 4:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Additional sun flights have been announced for YQM this winter:

Quote:
New Direct Flights Added to Orlando and Varadero From Greater Moncton
SEPTEMBER 20, 2022

Greater Moncton, N.B., September 20, 2022 – The Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) is pleased to announce the addition of Orlando, Florida by Air Transat to the list of direct flights to sun destinations from Greater Moncton this winter. Air Transat is also adding Varadero, Cuba to its winter schedule from YQM. The updated roster of flights now gives passengers the option of three weekly flights to Varadero with either Sunwing or Air Transat.

“Our passengers have missed their winter escape to the sun. We are excited to share the news of Air Transat’s addition to the popular Florida destination of Orlando along with an increase in service to a Canadian favorite, Varadero, Cuba.”, said Courtney Burns, YQM President and CEO.

Beginning in early February there are options to leave from YQM on 11 direct flights for a variety of sun destinations each week with Sunwing or Air Transat. Destinations include weekly flights to Orlando, Montego Bay, Puerto Plata, and Cayo Coco; two flights weekly to Cancun and Punta Cana; and three flights weekly to Varadero.

For details, check YQM’s website (www.cyqm.ca) under the “Flight Information” tab, contact the airlines directly or call your travel agent.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:10 PM

From Fredericton Int Airport Twitter

😎
@SunwingVacay
return to #Fredericton in February 2023 with flights to Cayo Coco, Cayo Santa Maria, Cancun, and Punta Cana! Visit https://sunwing.ca
or contact your travel agent to get booking!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 3:57 PM

Air Canada

Frequency (Summer 2023 versus Summer 2022)

Edmonton-Montreal

Increases to four times daily from twice daily

Vancouver-Montreal

Increases to six times daily from five daily

Calgary-Toronto

Increases to 13 times daily from 11 daily

Kelowna-Vancouver

Increases to eight times daily from seven daily

Winnipeg-Toronto

Increases to seven times daily from five daily

Saint John-Toronto

Increases to three times daily from once daily

Kelowna-Toronto

Increases to two times daily from once daily

Quebec City-Vancouver

Increases to five times from three times weekly

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...874199727.html

Last edited by Bishop2047; Dec 8, 2022 at 3:58 PM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:44 PM

Thank goodness, the current lack of flights is atrocious. We really need Porter to resume service to YSJ.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently WestJet intends to reduce it's Moncton service to 3x flights weekly to Toronto.

https://www.919thebend.ca/2022/12/12...sc_ref=twitter

The WestJet presence in NB is hanging on only by its toenails (unless one counts Swoop). The next step will be complete termination (which I can see coming). This level of service is so basic as to be nearly irrelevant. People will stop flying with WestJet, and the airline will finally pull the plug. I can see it now.

WestJet has retrenched to it's western base big time. Only major airports in the east still have service. Pretty soon the only airport in Atlantic Canada with service will be Halifax, and even that is significantly scaled back.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Apparently WestJet intends to reduce it's Moncton service to 3x flights weekly to Toronto.

https://www.919thebend.ca/2022/12/12...sc_ref=twitter

The WestJet presence in NB is hanging on only by its toenails (unless one counts Swoop). The next step will be complete termination (which I can see coming). This level of service is so basic as to be nearly irrelevant. People will stop flying with WestJet, and the airline will finally pull the plug. I can see it now.

WestJet has retrenched to it's western base big time. Only major airports in the east still have service. Pretty soon the only airport in Atlantic Canada with service will be Halifax, and even that is significantly scaled back.
Shame. Might as well fully pull the plug on anything domestic that isn't at least a daily servicing. Will be interesting to see what other airlines step in/up in NB to fill that gap. Already see AC ramping up in SJ. Porter is the logical airline and could easily increase frequency.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Shame. Might as well fully pull the plug on anything domestic that isn't at least a daily servicing. Will be interesting to see what other airlines step in/up in NB to fill that gap. Already see AC ramping up in SJ. Porter is the logical airline and could easily increase frequency.
Especially once Porter has a bunch of Embraers flying out of YYZ.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Porter is the logical airline and could easily increase frequency.
Porter is starting jet service to major western Canadian cities out of Pearson. I could definitely see them adding a flight from Moncton to Pearson (in addition to their existing flights to Billy Bishop) to act as a feeder for the new western Canadian services.

The retrenchment of WestJet back to western Canada is certainly a golden opportunity for Porter. It couldn't have happened at a better time since Porter is now beginning to receive their order of Embraer E195-E2 jets. They have firm orders for 50 of the aircraft, with an option on 50 more. This is significant.

Right now they are planning on serving western Canadian and US destinations out of Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, but with 100 new jets, I think it is only a matter of time before we see jet service to Montreal and Toronto as feeders (while maintaining turboprop service to Billy Bishop).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 4:28 PM

Flair Returning To YSJ In 2023, But Not Swoop

https://www.country94.ca/2023/01/02/...but-not-swoop/

Quote:
"Expect to see more flights at the Saint John Airport in the new year, including the return of an ultra-low-cost carrier (ULCC).

Starting this summer, Air Canada will have three daily flights between YSJ and the Toronto Pearson Airport.

That was how many rotations the airline offered between the two cities before major cuts earlier this year.

Sandy Ross, CEO of the airport, said they are also hopeful that a second daily rotation to Montreal will return mid-summer.

“With that, then we’re back to five rotations a day with Air Canada,” Ross said in a recent year-end interview.

“Then we want to work with Air Canada, lock those in and make sure that none of those become seasonal and that we keep those as the baseline of operation with Air Canada.”

Flair Airlines also plans to return at the end of March, said Ross. The ULCC is adding a third weekly rotation to Toronto Pearson, up from two this year.

The airport is working with the airline to extend the seasonal service a bit longer this year, he said.

No Swoop flights this year

Meanwhile, a second ultra-low-cost carrier said it has no plans to restart service from Saint John in 2023.

Swoop launched its four-times-weekly service between Saint John and Toronto Pearson in mid-May.

Spokesperson Julie Pondant confirmed the airline ended the service less than four months later in early September.

“Swoop’s flight schedules are built many months in advance, based on anticipated demand and operational capacities,” Pondant wrote in an email.

“At this time there are no plans at this time to restart service from Saint John in 2023, but we’re consistently evaluating our network and assessing future growth opportunities.”

Ross said he believes the two airlines were struggling to get the passenger loads they wanted to make the route profitable.

That is because Flair and Swoop were competing with Air Canada, which offered daily service to the same destination.

“Their load numbers suggested that they were, between the two of them, averaging probably 65 or 70 per cent,” said Ross.

“I don’t think, for their model, that means they were very profitable.”

As for a return of sun destination flights, that will not happen during the 2022-23 winter season.

But Ross said there are optimistic an announcement could be coming in the next few months.

“I am very hopeful that we will have an announcement in March about a sun destination that will allow people to start booking their late 2023 and 2024 sun destination travel,” he said."

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 8:35 PM

Ysj

I think everyone knew that there was no room in this market for two ULLC's as well as Air Canada flights going to Toronto, I knew when they announced Swoop coming to Saint John that one of them would not be around this year! My second though was that Swoop gave itself a year to see if they could push Flair out of the New Brunswick market. If they did, then it would smooth sailing for their Moncton operations. Just my thoughts on the matter. Anyways, the mention of the sun destinations for late 2023. i believe will be with Flair as well. Probably to Florida. Sunwing doesn't even look at this part of the country to at least January!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I think everyone knew that there was no room in this market for two ULLC's as well as Air Canada flights going to Toronto, I knew when they announced Swoop coming to Saint John that one of them would not be around this year! My second though was that Swoop gave itself a year to see if they could push Flair out of the New Brunswick market. If they did, then it would smooth sailing for their Moncton operations. Just my thoughts on the matter. Anyways, the mention of the sun destinations for late 2023. i believe will be with Flair as well. Probably to Florida. Sunwing doesn't even look at this part of the country to at least January!
I agree - The Swoop route last year seemed to be announced out of nowhere, and appeared to be positioned to try and keep Flair out of the NB market. Not a big surprise that they aren't returning. WestJet/Swoop previously had little interest in the YSJ market, and with the WestJet retrenchment from the east, very doubtful that they will make any significant announcements in NB outside of their YQM flights.

Would be great to get the Porter flights back - and eventually allow for connections to their new E-195 operation via Ottawa or Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 2:46 PM

Westjet

So, the internal rumour is that Westjet is making Calgary its main hub. Apparently has to do with landing fees and the saturation of Toronto and Montreal connections offered by AC and Porter, among others to the east coast. IF there is any return by Westjet to the region, it will likely be direct flights to Calgary (apparently) to connect onward to other places in the west (Canada/US), and what is supposed to be new services into Asia. So we won't likely see any YSJ/YFC/YQM flights to YYZ. However, we could see some new flights from various cities directly to Calgary in a few months using 737s. That is what the rumours are at least. We will have to wait and see. Either way, the days of the Q-prop planes being used to funnel people into Toronto are likely on their last days at Westjet.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 3:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It depends. If WestJet maintains any presence in NB at all, it will likely be at YQM, but their current frequency (3x weekly to Toronto Pearson) doesn't instill much confidence in me. I am concerned that WestJet in NB might be in it's death throes.

The possibility of a direct WestJet connection to Calgary from Moncton (like Swoop's Moncton-Edmonton route last summer) exists, but it is unlikely. It could be more likely that they will continue to provide minimal service to Pearson for onward connections to the west. We'll see.

I am optimistic we might see further Porter expansion at YQM. I think we will keep our current daily flights to Ottawa and to Billy Bishop in Toronto. I also think we will see a new Porter service to Toronto Pearson using their new Embraer jets to connect with Porter's new services to western Canada and the US.

Swoop is a wild card. If WestJet stays in NB, I think we will see the Edmonton service return, with the potential for new seasonal services elsewhere. This all depends on whether WestJet stays at YQM or not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces