HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Yeah, I would say you're pretty optimistic. It seems to me that San Antonio's building cycles for high rise type buildings happen about every 10 to 12 years.

This latest one has been around for a while and has added a lot to the downtown area. A lot of midrises went up with more to follow with the government funded buildings. I would say it will be at least 5 to 7 years before another tall rises.

The one factor that could change that is what happens with Ft. Sam. How much of an impact will it have on the surrounding areas? I think this is something that can finally positively effect the area between IH 35 and Houston street. But that to will be several years away.

Vidorra does have ready to go residences and they could eventually fill up. I'm not surprised that they are stuck on 50% in this economy, but the interest there has been luke warm at best. I can't see another tower rising at that site unless the property values climb significantly. They're more likely to fill the area with townehomes and call it a day..
With the growth that Texas has experienced and will continue to experience because of the migration shift of the US population, I think that our days of building in cycles might soon be coming to an end. Demand will begin to dictate that in the next couple of years, and from that point on. BRAC, among other things, will solidify our growth in the next 1-3 years. Remember, everyone must be in place BY Aug. 2011, a little shy of 2 years. People are starting to show up NOW so they will slowly soak in to the city, but people will see and feel the difference in a few months.

As for the economy; the recession could very well soon be a thing of the past. We are in place for a quick recovery, and will benefit greatly from being in that position. We might not feel it yet, but like I said, BRAC, and other things (CAT, Toyota, Medtronic, NSA, Cyber Command, Port SA movements, and a relatively low unemployment rate) will help make sure the region has a speedy recovery.

I do agree with you that this might finally do it for the Eastside. If traffic keeps up, growth keeps up, that'll be enough to get people there. I don't think traffic has been bad enough to keep people living close to work. People drive in from La Vernia, Floresville, Stone Oak, NB, but as soon as traffic becomes unpredictable, some, not all, will look for a place closer to work.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
I think they would get a bigger response if they build taller
Why?

You think people want to be higher, or that they would be more impressed by a taller tower?

They still have to justify adding that many units; unless of course they build it on stilts. That would make for an interesting elevator ride.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I do agree with you that this might finally do it for the Eastside. If traffic keeps up, growth keeps up, that'll be enough to get people there. I don't think traffic has been bad enough to keep people living close to work.
True, growth has certainly changed. Although I can still see over-building taking place and things will slow until demand can catch up.

Even though things need to be in place in 2 years, the east side benefit is still years away and that includes the Vidorra area. I think the Broadway area is better prepared in the short run for those new families that want to live near the base.

I'm betting Cross(?) would like his Broadway apartments completed in 2 years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
True, growth has certainly changed. Although I can still see over-building taking place and things will slow until demand can catch up.

Even though things need to be in place in 2 years, the east side benefit is still years away and that includes the Vidorra area. I think the Broadway area is better prepared in the short run for those new families that want to live near the base.

I'm betting Cross(?) would like his Broadway apartments completed in 2 years.
I was just a few keystrokes from typing that as well. I too think that the Mahncke Park area and Broadway corridor are going to fill out first and we will see most of the early development there.
And about those apartments... did we ever confirm that he was starting up in Oct? I know he was trying to start back up, and then do 1 project per year.
If they are finishing those out soon, I bet they fill out fast.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:02 AM

For some reason the October start date is sticking out in my mind too, cant remember if or which provisos that came with, though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I was just a few keystrokes from typing that as well. I too think that the Mahncke Park area and Broadway corridor are going to fill out first and we will see most of the early development there.
And about those apartments... did we ever confirm that he was starting up in Oct? I know he was trying to start back up, and then do 1 project per year.
If they are finishing those out soon, I bet they fill out fast.
Agreed. The broadway is looking very nice and I am looking into moving in that area. The current area I am in has not had any growth in the past three years. In fact, sadly, business have left, or otherwise closed down due to the times.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 3:20 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Mexican Consulate Parking Lot

This is probably nothing but earlier this week I saw some digging being done at the parking lot that is bordered by St Marys, Navarro, and Villita St. The Mexican Consulate Building is in northen part of the lot. There was a small excavator/bulldozer digging a good size hole into the southern corner. The large hole has been covered up since then and there is a small sign that says something to the effect of "closed for repairs", but only yellow tape surrounding the area. Somebody please tell me this isn't just just a busted pipe. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3922846279/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireout...n/photostream/

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 15, 2009 at 6:22 PM. Reason: new info

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 2:54 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I'm not a big fan of the housing on Durango. The former Victoria Courts should have been the home of the new arena. What a great site, with an Arena, Dome, and Convention Center, and lets not forget the tower in the middle of all that. Too Bad.
I would have like to see some mid rise apartments, 10 to 15 stories instead of same typical 3 story apartment buildings that we see anywhere else in this city.
Hell no! As a Lavaca resident, i wouldn't want an arena in my backyard. These apartment buildings serve as an excellent buffer between Durango Street and the unique homes of the Lavaca neighborhood. If the proposed high rise is built on Labor, it too will be a welcome buffer; not too close that the building residents would be looking down into peoples' back yards, but close enough to serve as a divider between downtown and Lavaca. When finally finished, these buildings will be the perfect compliment to one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. And finally, things are coming together that will help speed up this influx of residential development. I think that the next few years are gonna be a cool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3922977241/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3923632830/

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Sep 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM. Reason: photos

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 1:32 PM

You make a great point fireoutofclay. It is important to have buffer zones, especially between dense, commercial areas such as that around the convention center and Hemisfair Park, and a residential area. These apartments, although nothing special in and of themselves, effectively provide that "stair step" effect, lowering the visual bulk from the Grand Hyatt and ToA down to one and two story houses. You can't define an area simply by judging isolated structures; how the neighborhood relates and transitions to adjacent areas is necessary to get the right context.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 3:34 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

civility, logic, and fine points made by all...

what is this forum turning into?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Hell no! As a Lavaca resident, i wouldn't want an arena in my backyard. These apartment buildings serve as an excellent buffer between Durango Street and the unique homes of the Lavaca neighborhood. If the proposed high rise is built on Labor, it too will be a welcome buffer; not too close that the building residents would be looking down into peoples' back yards, but close enough to serve as a divider between downtown and Lavaca. When finally finished, these buildings will be the perfect compliment to one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. And finally, things are coming together that will help speed up this influx of residential development. I think that the next few years are gonna be a cool.
The proposed high rise on Labor and any residential/retail where the Fed. parking lot is, will add just the right amount of residents to the area. It puts them close enough to give walkable impact to both Southtown and Downtown, or at least a short street-car ride.

Things are coming together nicely.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:15 PM
Come and Take It

I am not a fan of the new housing on Durango either. I agree that a 15 story buffer would have been much more impressive coming off of the Durango Street entrance ramp.... However, a Whole Foods store for both the local residents and our downtown visitors would have been a better amenity.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:16 AM

Not everyone is interested in Whole Foods. It's grossly overrated.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:21 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
Not everyone is interested in Whole Foods. It's grossly overrated.
Never been a whole foods fan myself.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:21 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Agreed. The broadway is looking very nice and I am looking into moving in that area. The current area I am in has not had any growth in the past three years. In fact, sadly, business have left, or otherwise closed down due to the times.
prices have skyrocketed in MP. good luck.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
prices have skyrocketed in MP. good luck.
lately, as I have been looking, I have come to realize that I think I will stay where I am at lol For those apartment prices I rather own a house!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cajones View Post
I am not a fan of the new housing on Durango either. I agree that a 15 story buffer would have been much more impressive coming off of the Durango Street entrance ramp.... However, a Whole Foods store for both the local residents and our downtown visitors would have been a better amenity.
It sounds like they're trying to create a range of different residential types (and heights), so folks who are disappointed that "all we have" off of Durango is some 4-story apartments shouldn't assume that's the extent of the development around there. If things even halfway go according to plan, the VC apts will be just the beginning.

As to your WF comment, that type of store generally doesn't fit in with the demographics of SA as a whole, let alone downtown. That's probably why there's only one WF store in the entire 2 million plus metro even though their headquarters is only an hour away. On the other hand, I think it would be a great show of solidarity on the part of HEB to build a full-service store in downtown SA, and near the Hemisfair area would be a good place to do it, just blocks from their hq.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:05 AM
Endless Moments...

2 Million plus metro, HA HA. What 2 million people spread over 15 counties.

In all honesty Whole Foods is only going to survive in a upper middle class area. That's why there is one in the quarry. Its not far from downtown anyhow. HEB would be better solution for the immediate area.

So when it comes down to it, yes population does count but its not the deciding factor. Income is also in the mix of that equation...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:39 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

Over 1.5m live in Bexar.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:32 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post

Over 2 million in 8 counties.

1.6 million in just Bexar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio