HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I wanna say the Bills in Toronto series could teach some lessons but that was a very different situation.

A better but still flawed example I thought I'd throw in is Univ. of Arkansas Razorbacks. They're from Fayatteville but split their 7 or 8 home games a year between there and the state capital of Little Rock, some three hours away.

I am guessing the LR games are well attended because they've been doing this for a long time.

The Razorbacks are the closest and only thing to big time sports for the entire state to identify with so I see why it works.

Though tonnes of grads must live in LR so it's almost like them attending a game on campus again just like in the old days. So this part would be different than proposal we are discussing. Plus we're talking about two different provinces here instead of one state.
When I first started watching football (both CFL and NFL) as a kid the Green Bay Packers used to play some home games at the Brewers' stadium in Milwaukee. The field was often a mess due to the mud from the baseball infield.

I can't remember how many games a season it was but it was more than one.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:38 PM

The National Football League's Green Bay Packers played two to four home games per year at Milwaukee County Stadium from 1953 to 1994

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The NFL wasn't always as "posh" a league as it is today.

I remember how teams that shared stadiums with MLB had dirt infields in the middle of the football field. So the NFLers actually played partly on dirt, not on grass. They'd put down grass on those sections once the baseball season ended in late September. But if it rained that part of the field was just a mess.

You can see what it looked like at 6:30 of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UPmQEjz-g

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Instead of speculating what the distance that is within range is use this website to determine it:

https://app.traveltimeplatform.com/

60 mins (pop of about 530k)

90 mins (population of about 580k within driving distance)
In comparison to my earlier post here is the data for Regina:

60 mins (pop of about 280k)

90mins (population of about 310 k within driving distance)

So the market for Halifax, if it catches on like it has in Saskatchewan, will be about twice the size as that of Regina. If you count Saskatoon then you should really count Moncton for Halifax and again Halifax has the larger market.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:33 PM

Hmmm. Did not know about that Green Bay/Milwaukee scenario either.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:47 PM
ハルウララ

Canada Basketball has selected St. John's as the host location for the final two FIBA World Cup Qualifying matches in February.

http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...basketball-wor

Venues in Canada used for the 2019 FIBA World Cup Qualifying matches:

Scotiabank Centre (Haifax)
Ricoh Coliseum (Toronto)
TD Place (Ottawa)
Place Bell (Laval)
Mile One Centre (St. John's)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
In comparison to my earlier post here is the data for Regina:

60 mins (pop of about 280k)

90mins (population of about 310 k within driving distance)

So the market for Halifax, if it catches on like it has in Saskatchewan, will be about twice the size as that of Regina. If you count Saskatoon then you should really count Moncton for Halifax and again Halifax has the larger market.
Funny, my maps when I tried it are different for Regina.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Did you make sure you set it to driving? Mine are the same as FFX's.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 2:45 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The NFL wasn't always as "posh" a league as it is today.

I remember how teams that shared stadiums with MLB had dirt infields in the middle of the football field. So the NFLers actually played partly on dirt, not on grass. They'd put down grass on those sections once the baseball season ended in late September. But if it rained that part of the field was just a mess.

You can see what it looked like at 6:30 of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UPmQEjz-g
There was an NFL game in Oakland played earlier this year over the baseball infield. My son couldn't believe it - I told him it used to be commonplace.

Go Halifax for the CFL!
(Then QC & Saskatoon followed by London & Kelowna 😉)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The maps say "now" so they'll probably be a bit different at different times.

The Halifax map is interesting in that it includes a bunch of out-of-county places and excludes a bunch of in-county places. The 90 minute map is pretty much what I'd consider Halifax's "economic region"; it includes the metro area plus one ring of towns outside of it. These are the people who can easily come in to the hospital, fly out of the airport, or go to a CFL game.

"Metro" Halifax is about 500,000, that 60 minute area.

Statistics Canada's CMAs and economic regions don't match this area because the units of area they assemble into metro areas and economic regions in Nova Scotia are coarse-grained. The fishing villages of the Eastern Shore are in Halifax county so they're in, but the commuter subdivisions of Enfield are in Hants so they're out.

The Halifax CFL promoters said they want something like 30-40% of support to come from outside of the city, but does this mean tickets or everything? Does that include everyone technically not outside of Halifax's boundaries, or people outside of easy commuting distance? Does it include people visiting from outside the region because they follow CFL games?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
ya, my map showed as different area too, like someone123 mentioned, it's probably calculated based on vehicle traffic patterns & travel times at certain hours of the day calculated over weeks/months of data.

Also FFX-ME population estimates are completely off for 60mins & 90 mins of Regina though.

FFX-ME has pop guess-timate of 280k within 60 mins of Regina. But if not counting any population of any towns within 60 mins of Regina, but just counting the two cities of Regina & Moose Jaw alone, it's more than 280,000.
(Regina CMA is 253,200 and Moose Jaw CA is 34,000)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rate-1.4533264

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:26 PM

15,000 seat Halifax Metro Centre II Report from 2007: (Scotiabank Centre replacement)

http://www.tradecentrelimited.com/si...1_May_2007.pdf

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 3:35 PM

^ That first interior rendering is literally Bell MTS Place, just with the scoreboard edited to read "HALIFAX METRO CENTRE". I remember those renderings from around 15 or 16 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
ya, my map showed as different area too, like someone123 mentioned, it's probably calculated based on vehicle traffic patterns & travel times at certain hours of the day calculated over weeks/months of data.

Also FFX-ME population estimates are completely off for 60mins & 90 mins of Regina though.

FFX-ME has pop guess-timate of 280k within 60 mins of Regina. But if not counting any population of any towns within 60 mins of Regina, but just counting the two cities of Regina & Moose Jaw alone, it's more than 280,000.
(Regina CMA is 253,200 and Moose Jaw CA is 34,000)

I didn't really double check the numbers. I got them using this service and they states that they were 2015 values.

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/popest/gpw-v4/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That first interior rendering is literally Bell MTS Place, just with the scoreboard edited to read "HALIFAX METRO CENTRE". I remember those renderings from around 15 or 16 years ago.
That proposal that q12 posted was from 2007. AFAIK, there is no serious plan to replace the Metro Centre (ScotiaBank Place), even though the Cogswell interchange is going to be decommissioned and redeveloped.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 4:53 PM

^ Yeah, I noticed that the renderings were a bit old. But something of that scale would be great for Halifax, especially in that location.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:40 PM

^^ At first I was going to say, I wonder WHICH Halifax will build... football field in Dartmouth or a new arena. Considering Halifax will have a Pro Lacrosse NLL team starting 2020, re-invirgorating talks of a new Halifax arena maybe important for holding on to the team.
The current Metro Centre in Halifax will be one of the smallest NLL arenas in the league, SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon routinely hits over 15,000 people per game.

Quote:
originally posted by FFX-ME
I didn't really double check the numbers. I got them using this service and they states that they were 2015 values.
oh ok, ya I just did an estimate for the City of Saskatoon as well & it looks like its out by 75,000 too, in addition to your older in-accurate estimate for Regina...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^ At first I was going to say, I wonder WHICH Halifax will build... football field in Dartmouth or a new arena. Considering Halifax will have a Pro Lacrosse NLL team starting 2020, re-invirgorating talks of a new Halifax arena maybe important for holding on to the team.
I don't think it's all that urgent... most NLL teams averaged under 10,000 fans a game last year so it's not like Halifax needs to run out and build a new venue right away. But if the NLL takes off there and they routinely play to capacity crowds, it could eventually be a factor in deciding what to do with the Halifax Metro Centre.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:43 PM

^^ The Up-State New York team being relocated to the
maritimes seemed to average about 7,000 per game last season before announcement of being up-rooted to Halifax.

I'd imagine unless the relocated Halifax NLL team can't maintain a certain attendance in the next decade, near sell out for each game at there current arena, I'm sure they will be fine.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RIYlEk6nV5XoZW

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 7:27 PM
ハルウララ

@AlouettesFLDeck reporting that the Alouettes will be reducing capacity of Percival Molson stadium in 2019 to "Around 20K" to "create a better atmosphere".

Team averaged between 17k and 18k in 2018.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada