HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 4:58 AM
Go Chiefs!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 6:32 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 2:03 AM

Oh come now guys, no need for this bickering back and forth between cities (who's better than who; etc..)

Can't we all just be happy it is finally a reality that two more Canadian cities are FOR CERTAIN on the NHL's radar for teams?

I'm all for more Canadian teams!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:16 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
ha...good one....

was just reading that the ice edge deal is falling apart yet again....the last laugh will be mine.....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 1:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ha...good one....

was just reading that the ice edge deal is falling apart yet again....the last laugh will be mine.....
Yeah, things don't look great on that front. The NHL really is going to have no choice here.

I can't wait till Dec 30!!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 2:53 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ha...good one....

nice sig

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:24 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...l-trouble.html

here's a link to yesterday's revelation...

the stunning part is that no progress has been made on IE's side...

Wow...

I feel bad for fans in Phoenix, but damn, this is troubling news for them.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:38 PM
the first stamp is free

^ really? You are honestly surprised that this latest "deal" is falling apart?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:36 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I feel bad for all 6 of them, too.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:59 PM

2011 Winnipeg Jets?

Sounds good.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Where this is going:

Glendale has already committed $25 million to fund the team's losses if no buyer is found for this season. Presuming that's enough (if the 6 fans in Phoenix know the team is leaving for sure, don't be surprised if losses hit $30-40 million), the NHL will continue to run this team for the 2010-11 season. There's just no chance that I can see of them moving at this late date. It would be unprecedented in major league sports, I believe.

True North's cheque gets cashed sometime in the December/January timeframe and the team is announced to be moving to Winnipeg for 2011-12.

Unless someone actually steps up and buys the team and keeps it in Phoenix... if this doesn't happen soon, it'll never happen. It's been a couple of years and every interested buyer has eventually stopped being interested. And I can't see the NHL and Glendale continuing to fund the losses of the worst lame duck in professional sports history.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 10:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

innipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION Ice Edge loses exclusivity edge in Coyote deal

By: Mia Rabson
27/07/2010 12:59 PM | Comments: 23
DARREN CALABRESE PHOTO Enlarge Image
Ice Edge Holdings' braintrust enjoy a light moment at a Phoenix Coyotes-Toronto Maple Leafs game at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto in December 2009. From left: Anthony LeBlanc, chief executive officer; Daryl Jones, chief operating officer; Keith McCullough, chairman; and Todd Jordan, chief financial officer.

A deal for a consortium of U.S. and Canadian businessmen to buy the Phoenix Coyotes hit another snag this month but it hasn't stopped the negotiations.
The Arizona Republic reported today Ice Edge Holdings lost its right to negotiate exclusively with the City of Glendale to lease the Jobing.com Arena as part of its quest to buy the Coyotes.
The exclusivity deal — which would have prevented any other interested buyers from coming in and trying to outbid Ice Edge — was negotiated in June but collapsed when Ice Edge didn't provide all the financial documents the city had demanded by June 18.
Glendale spokesperson Julie Frisoni today said all the city is prepared to say is that the Arizona Republic story "is accurate."
"The city does not comment on ongoing negotiations," said Frisoni.
Ice Edge Holdings and the City of Glendale have set a deadline of Aug. 6 to conclude negotiations for the arena lease, which is less than two weeks away.
Ice Edge is working to buy the team from the NHL — which bought it from bankruptcy last fall — and lease the Glendale-owned arena for the team to play in.
It is currently the only known bidder willing to keep the team in Arizona. The NHL reached a deal with Glendale in May for the city to cover operating costs up to US$25 million to keep the Coyotes in the Jobing.com Arena for the 2010-11 NHL season. If a local buyer for the team isn't found by Dec. 31, the NHL is expected to begin negotiations to sell the team to bidders who would move it.
It is believed Winnipeg is the first in line for those negotiations through True North Entertainment.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly would not comment on the Arizona Republic story Tuesday. However, fans who see this latest snag as potential for the Jets to make a Winnipeg return sooner should not get their hopes up.
"I will confirm for the record that the Coyotes will be playing in Glendale for the 2010-11 season," Daly said.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:28 AM
BANNED

Shouldn't the title of this thread be, "NHL returning to Winnipeg?"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ really? You are honestly surprised that this latest "deal" is falling apart?
to be honest, I am surprised that for 6 to 7 weeks, Ice Edge has made no progress...they have hired all these people, put in all this work, all this effort to eventually show for nothing. They really are not wealthy enough with physical assets to get the thing done. I feel bad for fans in Phoenix...even if there are only 6 of them. I mean, I would love to see the Jets back here, and it will be a huge huge huge deal for the city (Winnipeg has been soulless since the Jets moved, according to many) and also an economic boom for the local downtown area, but I still can feel bad for the fans that do live in Phoenix that love the game. There may be a fraction of the fans that exist in Winnipeg, but more so, I feel like the city of Glendale council has done their fans wrong. They made so many wrong moves, and all for selfish reasons...these things never end good, and we are seeing that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Where this is going:

Glendale has already committed $25 million to fund the team's losses if no buyer is found for this season. Presuming that's enough (if the 6 fans in Phoenix know the team is leaving for sure, don't be surprised if losses hit $30-40 million), the NHL will continue to run this team for the 2010-11 season. There's just no chance that I can see of them moving at this late date. It would be unprecedented in major league sports, I believe.

True North's cheque gets cashed sometime in the December/January timeframe and the team is announced to be moving to Winnipeg for 2011-12.

Unless someone actually steps up and buys the team and keeps it in Phoenix... if this doesn't happen soon, it'll never happen. It's been a couple of years and every interested buyer has eventually stopped being interested. And I can't see the NHL and Glendale continuing to fund the losses of the worst lame duck in professional sports history.
Yeah, I too don't see another buyer stepping up. That said, I would not be surprised if Jerry Reinsdorf pops back in. He would have leverage to make his deal even sweeter. Although time is running out, let us not forget that there is still a long time until the Dec 31 date. So many twists have happened in the last several months that anything could happen still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Shouldn't the title of this thread be, "NHL returning to Winnipeg?"
Haha still a little premature. I certainly wish so, but I do not want to get my own hopes up prematurely.

But damn, the day they announce it....Winnipeg will. Be. CRAZY.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

Haha still a little premature. I certainly wish so, but I do not want to get my own hopes up prematurely.
I think he's referring to the fact that since the NHL was already here, IF it came back (hence why he kept the "?" in the title), it would be returning, rather than heading here...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 7:48 PM

iam just baffled bettman still wants these guys running this team.i mean if they have this much trouble just to raise enough to buy the team and still can't seem to raise it, and on top of that this team has lost over $300 million since going to phoenix how in hell could they ever afford to run this team they would only last a week and then they would be all out of money.Bettman has the richest man in canada willing to buy this club, move it to a great market that infringes on no one's territory with a good cozy arena just pull the plug already gary. What the nhl should have instead of a southern strategy is a northern one imagine winnipeg, quebec, seattle, portland,milwaukee these places love hockey they have proven support for either junior hockey or nhl and would actually bring in paying customers and ratings and they would bring in new rivalries. Imagine seattle vs vancouver or minnestoa vs winnipeg or quebec montreal again it would be great.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 1:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
iam just baffled bettman still wants these guys running this team.i mean if they have this much trouble just to raise enough to buy the team and still can't seem to raise it, and on top of that this team has lost over $300 million since going to phoenix how in hell could they ever afford to run this team they would only last a week and then they would be all out of money.Bettman has the richest man in canada willing to buy this club, move it to a great market that infringes on no one's territory with a good cozy arena just pull the plug already gary. What the nhl should have instead of a southern strategy is a northern one imagine winnipeg, quebec, seattle, portland,milwaukee these places love hockey they have proven support for either junior hockey or nhl and would actually bring in paying customers and ratings and they would bring in new rivalries. Imagine seattle vs vancouver or minnestoa vs winnipeg or quebec montreal again it would be great.
I still think Bettman is going to give Phoenix (and any other U.S. city in fact) EVERY SINGLE CHANCE possible to keep its team, and go down to the wire with them. However, I also think that the hard reality will hit him in the face fairly soon and he will be forced to move at least a few teams, starting with the Coyotes.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Last edited by RTD; Jul 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:08 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I still think Bettman is going to give Phoenix (and any other U.S. city in fact) EVERY SINGLE CHANCE possible to keep its team, and go down to the wire with them. However, I also think that the hard reality will hit him in the face fairly soon and he will be forced to move at least a few teams, starting with the Coyotes.
And so he should. I'm not saying every city (US or Canadian) deserves a team no matter what but it truly is in the best interest of the league to do everything it can to keep teams viable in the cities they are currently in. No league should be moving teams if local owners can be found and they can find a way to make it work.

However, if the team is NOT viable and no local owners step up to keep the team then by all means they need to look at relocation. But only as a last resort.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan