HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:12 AM
of Canada

Calgary recycles

We got our blue bin today.

I'm looking forward to the convenience but wonder about the reality of the recycling program.

I can be lazy and just throw everything into the bin and someone else will sort it. Great - as long as I stick to the rules and only put in there what they'll accept. I can just picture people using it as a garbage bin.

Then once they collect all that stuff, what happens to it? I've been hearing that there really isn't much of a market for recyclables. Will it all actually get turned into something or will it end up in empty containers on a ship back to China?

So, on the surface at least, it seems like a good program. And I'm happy to pay $8 for it. But what will really happen with all our paper, plastic, glass, aluminum, etc?
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:16 AM
Round Head

Calgary finally made it to 1992!!! wahoo!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:27 AM

A lot of the material will be processed fairly quickly, though some things they may just store until the market recovers (the market for recycling is very cyclic, as the largest buyer of bulk quantities of recycled product is China, mostly paper and plastic, and they tend to flip between where they buy quite a lot, but fortunately if you have space you could make a nice profit if you hold on). A lot of the material though from Calgary supposedly will be used by local companies, I recall hearing something about one of the major shingle manufacturers being the destination for a lot of the paper and the metal was destined for somewhere in western Canada as well.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:45 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I'm flummoxed about where to put my bin (we're supposed to get ours this week)- the website says you need 1' of clearance so I can't put it in the gate opening next to where our garbage cans are, can't put it in the alley because there is litterally zero room, can't put it in front because our garbage is picked up in the alley, doubt I can put it in the parking pad because the ground isn't level and that's several feet away from where garbage is picked up...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:54 AM
Edan

cant put it in the bedroom because that's where my bed is.. argh. Seriously though if its just a bin that people pick up, then im sure whomever's offering the service wouldnt mind walking the extra foot or two to get it. If it's truck pick up, where a machine picks it up then maybe ask your neighbor if they wouldn't mind having it next to theirs.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:58 AM

It is an automated truck that does the pick up. Problem with putting it by the neighbors is it may be that only one of them gets picked up (similar to the situation we have here with our garbage, we ended up moving where we put our bin as half the time they wouldn't pick it up as they thought the neighbor was putting out more than what he was allowed as the bins were relatively close (about 5 feet apart). Whether the recycling pickup would be that picky is the question especially with the bins being city provided

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:00 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Calgary finally made it to 1992!!! wahoo!
While it can be argued that we should have done this sooner, remember that until now the city of Calgary has devoted the bulk of its "waste re-processing" funds to building possibly the BEST waste water treatment process in the world.

Since municipal revenue is fixed, I'm glad we focused on water first then made this leap to solids. Now that we have, I can't think of any city in NA that handles ALL ITS WASTES better than Calgary. Kudos to us!!! (Okay E town is still ahead of use wrt composting, but our water treatment is still better than theirs!)

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Mar 25, 2009 at 4:57 AM. Reason: typo and removed some of the hubris!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:03 AM
Edan

How-so is your water treatment the BEST? What regulations are in place and what process does the waste water of the city of Calgary go through?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:24 AM
Very nice!

I live in the SW (Glamorgan specifically) and have not received my blue bin yet. I look forward to it though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:29 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
How-so is your water treatment the BEST? What regulations are in place and what process does the waste water of the city of Calgary go through?
details are page 25
Highlights:
Only major city in the world with complete tertiary treatment of ALL waste water releases including full UV treatment of ALL waste water.
100 % complete seperation of sewage and storm system infrastructures.
Over 50% primary treatment on storm sewage system; Edmonton is the only other Canadian city to provide treatment on storm system outflows.
Calgary's newest treatment plant - Pine Creek - is considered the most advanced in the world with "double" tertiary treatment involving both UV and O3. (cost is pushing over 500 Million)
According to Ecojustice, Calgary and Edmonton (and Whislter) are the only cities in Canada that return waste water to the environment cleaner than when it was extracted.

BTW, Regina does has a good waste water treatment system, though it doesn't address storm runoff, and as of 2008, it's UV system has been running at less than 100% and it doesn't provide for O3 treatment.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:36 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Serious question: what are people supposed to do with the crazy winds here? I've seen things much heavier than your average recycling bin blowing all over my neighbourhood. Unless I load the thing completely full, which is unlikely unless I leave it to collect for weeks (ugh) - I just don't produce 1/5th as much garbage as most people.

I'm so very looking forward to no-sort recycling - saw it in Oregon and said "FINALLY - someone figured out how to do recycling!". But I'm not sure if I'll have to tie a cinder block to my bin, or what.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:37 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
Would you swim downstream of where your wastewater is dumped? Honest question, I have no idea where sewage is released in Regina.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:39 AM
Beer me Captain

I don't mean to pick on Vancouver, but as an example to how far Calgary has gone towards processing ALL waste water, Vancouver still releases more untreatment human effluent into the ocean than Calgary's release of untreated RAIN water into the Bow. Think about that, Calgary releases a lower volume of untreated rain water into the environment than Vancouver does of shit water.

BTW, rain water in our cities carries all kinds of things ranging from oils and heavy metals from our cars to dog shit and fertilizars. Since Calgary is part of a semi-arid environment it has historically focused a lot of its energy - and cash - into making sure that the water we send to Sask is clean and useable!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:44 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Would you swim downstream of where your wastewater is dumped? Honest question, I have no idea where sewage is released in Regina.
Screw that!! In 2006 at the official opening of the full on tertiary treatment process at the Bonnybrook plant, the head of Calgary Waste water services (can't remember his name) put a glass in the out flows and DRANK from it. I dare anyone anywhere else to try that.

BTW, he did say the water tasted okay but kinda stank. Tests showed that the "bad" things in the water were well below national limits (and the levels in the river prior to initial treatment) though some organics were a bit high, hence the smell/taste.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:50 AM
恭喜发财!

What's this about Calgary having the world's best water treatment and starting up a recycling project? I though Calgary was full of environment haters...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:55 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
What's this about Calgary having the world's best water treatment and starting up a recycling project? I though Calgary was full of environment haters...

Sorry, I'm gonna have to wait to respond to your post as I need to run over some bunnies and baby dear with my Hummer ... and spill a couple hundred barrels of oil into the Elbow.

BTW, Chemist, I'm curious as to how water treatment is handled in China. I followed it a bit in the late 90's and was surprised at how advanced some of it was. Any idea what Shangai does with the shit of 15+ Million people??

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:02 AM
Community Guy

I still cannot believe Calgary is SO behind with this... not to mention that Edmonton has (if i recall correctly) the most advanced recycling system in Canada or North America.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:10 AM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I still cannot believe Calgary is SO behind with this... not to mention that Edmonton has (if i recall correctly) the most advanced recycling system in Canada or North America.
I had fun bragging about this too...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:26 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
While E Town is still ahead of Cowtown wrt handling of solid waste, when are you guys going catch up to us regarding handling of your liquid waste!

Personally I find it funny as hell that the two cities that handle their waste outputs the best are in "redneck - I'll run my hummer over a cute bunny - Alberta" whereas in "GREEN" Vancouver/Monteal/Toronto they still pump raw shit into the environment.

Damn I love stereotypes!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 5:27 AM
Beer me Captain

Also, I think the 'Chuck also has the most advanced municipal composting program in NA!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy