HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO79 View Post
The location formerly taken by Eddie Bauer, will soon be a Boathouse. It is opening mid-August 2015.

http://www.boathousestores.com/
Cool. I imagine this will do fairly well here.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Cool. I imagine this will do fairly well here.
there are at least 4 stores in the avalon mall that sell the same brands... seems like a waste of space to me. Not like the prices are going to be any better

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 3:05 PM

Seems like the Galway retail area is moving ahead and is gonna be much like the other big box parks. I wonder what anchors they will have?

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-development/1

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 6:35 PM

Been hearing rumours that Avalon Mall is gearing up for another expansion. Anyone have any idea if this is true or not. They are in dire need for an update with the current mall interior stuck in the 1980s and the exterior is a massive hodge podge of styles from the 1960s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 7:06 PM

It would be nice to see them spruce the place up a bit, starting with the Sears façade. Expanded parking, dare I say multilevel, would help too. I heard a rumor that once the entrance is realigned with Polina Rd that there “might” be additional retail and/or a restaurant around the area where Tom Woodfords was.
The Avalon Mall still has a lot going for it, especially in the winter when you can shop I relative comfort. The theatres are definitely a big part of their success too.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 9:30 PM

Totally agree, even with the downturn in the popularity of enclosed malls in North America, Avalon Mall kinda bucks that trend. With the suckiest weather in the country it's nice to shop in the comfort of enclosed mall.

Also heard they plan on building a parkade there too. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
It would be nice to see them spruce the place up a bit, starting with the Sears façade. Expanded parking, dare I say multilevel, would help too. I heard a rumor that once the entrance is realigned with Polina Rd that there “might” be additional retail and/or a restaurant around the area where Tom Woodfords was.
The Avalon Mall still has a lot going for it, especially in the winter when you can shop I relative comfort. The theatres are definitely a big part of their success too.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
even with the downturn in the popularity of enclosed malls in North America
Really? Not in other major Canadian cities.. malls are expanding, new malls are being built.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 2:31 AM

I know they are now but not many years ago the enclosed shopping mall was dying out in many big cities because of the popularity of big box parks but lately the big box parks seem to be starting to lose their popularity too. Several years ag I saw a documentary on PBS I think showing all these deserted empty malls. So perhaps it's coming full circle. Toronto shopping malls for example are now all expanding big time. Eaton Centre, Yorkdale Mall, Sherway Gardens are all building huge expansions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Really? Not in other major Canadian cities.. malls are expanding, new malls are being built.

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I know they are now but not many years ago the enclosed shopping mall was dying out in many big cities because of the popularity of big box parks but lately the big box parks seem to be starting to lose their popularity too.
While we're following the trends of the Mainlanders, I've heard Amazon Fulfillment Centers have gained popularity across North America. Perhaps Danny will get us one for Glencrest.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:38 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07...n_7779390.html

Interesting story out of Quebec. I wonder if they plan on opening a Simons here too?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 1:58 PM

Sephora is opening in the Avalon mall next Friday (July 24th)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 1:48 PM

aaaand with that I'll never see my girlfriend again

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 1:29 PM

Anyone have any info at all on that fancy new strip mall being constructed on Kenmount Road just before the Kelsey Drive turnoff. It's starting to look kinda high end and not your stereotypical looking strip mall. The sign out front says its being built by Redwood Construction by they only have a domain name when you google them. No info on the company on their website or info on this project at all. Just very curious at this point. This is also where Kelseys (Cara Foods) is building their new restaurant too, directly next door to the strip mall.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM

Leons

Looks like the old East End Cdn Tire location is snatched up... Leon's is moving there from Kenmount Rd.

Location isn't as good, imho.

http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=56384

I wonder what will take the remaining 20k sf...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 1:29 PM

That’s great news that the old Cdn Tire store will be repurposed however I don’t really understand the business logic. In the article Mr. Collingwood stated that “ areas like Kenmount Road and Stavanger Drive are becoming very congested”…YES, they are congested with shoppers. I know that when I shop for furniture I’ll drop into three or four places in Kenmount Rd (including Leon’s) and Kelsey Dr in a single trip.
I suppose some positives of the new location will be better exposure and more parking. Baine Johnston has been in business long enough that I guess they know what they are doing. Looking forward to seeing a nice new shiny store!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
That’s great news that the old Cdn Tire store will be repurposed however I don’t really understand the business logic. In the article Mr. Collingwood stated that “ areas like Kenmount Road and Stavanger Drive are becoming very congested”…YES, they are congested with shoppers. I know that when I shop for furniture I’ll drop into three or four places in Kenmount Rd (including Leon’s) and Kelsey Dr in a single trip.
I suppose some positives of the new location will be better exposure and more parking. Baine Johnston has been in business long enough that I guess they know what they are doing. Looking forward to seeing a nice new shiny store!
From what I heard before, Baine Johnston owned the Woodgate Plaza which houses Leon's current location, but sold the building to Crombie REIT several years ago. Crombie, of course, is the owner of the Avalon Mall. Hopefully, the Avalon Mall will integrate these properties by joining the parking lots at least. Maybe this will be part of the "proposal" they said would be forthcoming, which includes realigning the mall entrance with Polina Road.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:59 PM

I’m really out of touch, I had not realized that Crombie REIT now owned that property. For years the question was always asked why doesn’t the Mall have another access on Kenmount Rd. in that area and the answer always seemed to be that Baine Johnston wouldn’t, or couldn’t, allow it. (That and the fact there is still a few hundred feet of river running through there.
Re: the Polina Rd realignment, on two occasions lately I have seen City workers measuring around the Mall entrance there, hopefully that is a positive sign. I expect construction to start sometime in December because that would be the BEST time to tear of that intersection…sarcasm intended

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspinK View Post
Looks like the old East End Cdn Tire location is snatched up... Leon's is moving there from Kenmount Rd.

Location isn't as good, imho.

http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=56384

I wonder what will take the remaining 20k sf...
Crombie has plans to redevelop the building Leon's are currently in and are no longer signing long term leases for the location. Perhaps this informed the decision?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
Crombie has plans to redevelop the building Leon's are currently in and are no longer signing long term leases for the location. Perhaps this informed the decision?
I heard rumours that there was gonna be another big Avalon Mall expansion.
I wonder if they will tie it into the former Baine Johnson Plaza now that it's all part of the same Crombie REIT that owns the mall too.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
This is interesting. It should be noted that the Avalon Mall's senior management has recently changed. Maybe the new blood will allow for some improvements to the mall... perhaps a uniformed look indoors and out.

Also -- I could honestly see Goodlife moving to a bigger location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's