HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
They do have a website: http://www.alreproperties.ca/ Not much info on there though.

The only info I have read is that it's going to be retail centre 80,000-90,000 sq ft with first stores planning to open next spring.
Yeah, a landing page with just an address is not really a website in my eyes.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:48 PM

Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience store - developer:
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

Quote:
The demolition of the former ACAN Windows and Doors facility on Topsail Road in Paradise is nearing completion and residents should start to see some preliminary construction work begin early next month.

Once construction of the 80,000- to 90,000-square-foot retail plaza on the 600,000-square foot site is completed next spring, developer Roberto Di Giorgio of ALRE Properties says, “It should be the main commercial hub for the town of Paradise.

The current plan calls for up to 10 retailers — a mix of privately and corporately operated franchises — but the only confirmed type of business to date is a gas bar and convenience store.

What Di Giorgio can say is that it will resemble similar retail plazas in other Canadian cities, where you might see a pharmacy, a bank branch and retail stores co-existing in a commercial environment aimed at serving the community around it. As for food options, he says there will be a “very small component of restaurants.”
So basically he says there's a confidentially agreement with potential retailers until things are finalized. But some basic guesses is Pharmacy = Shoppers as there already a Lawton's in Paradise. Bank Branch = probably TD, there is already ScotiaBank and BMO in Paradise. And more than likely there will be at least one fast food place in there.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:55 PM

You make a good point. In the end, I’d say this project will not be any different that the multititude of strip malls throughout metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience store - developer:
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

So basically he says there's a confidentially agreement with potential retailers until things are finalized. But some basic guesses is Pharmacy = Shoppers as there already a Lawton's in Paradise. Bank Branch = probably TD, there is already ScotiaBank and BMO in Paradise. And more than likely there will be at least one fast food place in there.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:25 PM

East Corner Kelsey & Kenmount

Anyone know what is is getting built here?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
No idea. Canopy Growth said it would have a retail location on Kenmount Rd....so maybe that?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Car dealership.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Car dealership.
Do you know which one? Seems like a small spot for a car dealership.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Do you know which one? Seems like a small spot for a car dealership.
Volkswagen. Check out the retail thread for more detail.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
No, that's not Volkswagon. Volkswagon is going much further up Kelsey Drive, by Jumping Bean. There's a sign there saying coming soon and everything.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Volkswagen is going up by the corner of Messenger and Kelsey. The site jjavman is referring to is on Kenmount/Kelsey, kind of behind Kelsey's (the restaurant). Confusing I know....😊

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Volkswagen is going up by the corner of Messenger and Kelsey. The site jjavman is referring to is on Kenmount/Kelsey, kind of behind Kelsey's (the restaurant). Confusing I know....😊
I passed by there yesterday and there's no signage indicating what's coming.

I also saw the empty bungalow ( one of three ) on the corner of Kelsey/Kenmount is being remediated - ( saw bags of hazardous waste ). I assume it's being torn down to develop something, but haven't heard of anything. Figured the other empty houses would be part of any potential development as well, but IDK.
Anyone?

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 12:25 PM

Was just at Dominion on Blackmarsh Road and that development that was planned for across the street from the supermarket seems to have been restarted after being in development hell for a couple of years. Heavy equipment is on the site now and several houses are now gone. There seems to be quite a bit of land there.

Are they still planning a Tim Hortons/gas station for the site?

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Was just at Dominion on Blackmarsh Road and that development that was planned for across the street from the supermarket seems to have been restarted after being in development hell for a couple of years. Heavy equipment is on the site now and several houses are now gone. There seems to be quite a bit of land there.

Are they still planning a Tim Hortons/gas station for the site?
I've heard in conversation that it's an Orange Store/Hortons like at the airport but I have seen nothing published to confirm that. It may be in council minutes.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:27 PM

Yes, it's an Orange/Tims. It was listed as development at 257-261 Blackmarsh Rd and has been in the works since 2015; a planned rezoning public meeting for April 2015 was cancelled. The city is currently expropriating land on back of these properties so I think that was the hold-up for the development.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I passed by there yesterday and there's no signage indicating what's coming.

I also saw the empty bungalow ( one of three ) on the corner of Kelsey/Kenmount is being remediated - ( saw bags of hazardous waste ). I assume it's being torn down to develop something, but haven't heard of anything. Figured the other empty houses would be part of any potential development as well, but IDK.
Anyone?
The site under development at Kelsey Drive/Kiwanis is a North Atlantic Gas Bar with a Dairy Queen attached. Same style as the entrance to southlands. The houses on Kenmount are being torn down with no replacement because they are in the flood plain.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
The site under development at Kelsey Drive/Kiwanis is a North Atlantic Gas Bar with a Dairy Queen attached. Same style as the entrance to southlands. The houses on Kenmount are being torn down with no replacement because they are in the flood plain.
I mean, they're also abandoned houses in what is considered prime commercial area. I'm surprised they've been there this long, to be honest. It may be a flood plain, but seeing as it's never been an issue I would wager that someone will scoop up the land for commercial development sooner or later. That being said, later is probably more likely than sooner considering the commercial development just down the street still has vacancies.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:45 PM

It appears there may be a building going between New World Fitness and the building with Topsail Road Pizziria and RBC in front of the building with Dollarama in it (formerly Smith’s Home Hardware). There has been some tear up there this week and I have noticed concrete forms for a foundation or footings. Not sure what this could be though. Any ideas?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post
It appears there may be a building going between New World Fitness and the building with Topsail Road Pizziria and RBC in front of the building with Dollarama in it (formerly Smith’s Home Hardware). There has been some tear up there this week and I have noticed concrete forms for a foundation or footings. Not sure what this could be though. Any ideas?
heard timmies is moving from across the street

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 9:20 PM

Here are some updated pics of the new retirement home being built off Blackmarsh Road on L'Anse Aux Meadows Crescent called Winslow Ridge.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...29&oe=5C12BF18
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6c&oe=5BF53DE6

They have a website up now too at: livewithus.ca

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:59 PM

Looks like there is a proposal for a 4-storey office building on Kelsey Drive in behind Home Depot. No renders though, only the site plan:

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...019%202018.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's