HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:23 PM

The existing thread couldn't cover this?

I hear Dallas has had dropping attendance and are up for sale. Maybe they will move to Winnipeg.

Hey, Dynamo Moscow is closing up shop. Maybe they will move to Winnipeg.

Better start up a couple new threads for Quebec City too, in case any team may or may not be moving there.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:26 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
TSN doesn't seem so sure about this.

Bolding mine. Someone knows something they're not telling. ESPN says the deal is 100% dead, TSN says Ice Edge is basically plan "B".
the news just broke late last night...give it a day to come out officially....they wouldnt be engaging the group that they rejected out of hand 3 weeks ago if the reinsdorf deal wasnt done.

ice edge have huge issues as well....its over...this is all desperation by the city of glendale....its a total gong show....ice edge says they will listen if the city pays for the losses....they are legally not able to do that.

interesting that ice edge appear to have been in talks with true north and will take over the AHL franchise.....

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:27 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
The existing thread couldn't cover this?

I hear Dallas has had dropping attendance and are up for sale. Maybe they will move to Winnipeg.

Hey, Dynamo Moscow is closing up shop. Maybe they will move to Winnipeg.

Better start up a couple new threads for Quebec City too, in case any team may or may not be moving there.
the existing thread was locked.

did you actually read any of the articles?....this is hardly rumour and speculation as you appear to be insinuating.

just one more person to do the red river jig infront of when the final announcement is made in the next few weeks.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the existing thread was locked.

did you actually read any of the articles?....this is hardly rumour and speculation as you appear to be insinuating.

just one more person to do the red river jig infront of when the final announcement is made in the next few weeks.
Hmm, didn't notice the other one had been locked. Carry on with a new one then.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the NHL back on Winnipeg. Really though, there's a new rumour-that-is-more-than-a-rumour every few months on this. Between Quebec City, Hamilton and Winnipeg rumours of moving NHL teams is practically a renewable resource, as is the inevitability that those hopes are dashed.

It's gotten to the point where I won't believe it until the puck drops.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 3:55 PM
surely you agree with me

^ i hear you....but this is substantial news.

it has been a crazy rumour ride but that is to be expected when everything has to be done behind closed doors because of the legalities in phoenix....its amazing that it has been able to stay as quiet as it has...

when we will look back on this we will realize that the internet broke the story 6 months before it became part of the main stream media.

Last edited by trueviking; May 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I believe the population metro TBay is about 125K, correct?
Seems about right, and TBay is discussing the construction of there own multiplex, a 60 million dollar facility. Very early discussions, however. Would be nice when NHL relocation occurs for them to be serious contenders for AHL, assuming the city is feasible, of course.
Another very major step for Winnipeg.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Last edited by Keng; May 7, 2010 at 4:31 PM. Reason: sp.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Why would the AHL move a team to a city which would be the smallest in the league, with a tiny antiquated arena, to an area with an extremely high unemployment rate, when Saskatoon has a fairly new 15K arena basically sitting vacant, a population twice the size of Thunder Bays with a stable economy?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:39 PM
the first stamp is free

^ they do have the Blades...

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Why would the AHL move a team to a city which would be the smallest in the league, with a tiny antiquated arena, to an area with an extremely high unemployment rate, when Saskatoon has a fairly new 15K arena basically sitting vacant, a population twice the size of Thunder Bays with a stable economy?
Because the blades would fight it the death.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:54 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Quote:
There not allowed to. I've heard the commish of the WHL Ron Robinson, state that the Blades have the exclusive hockey rights to Credit Union place. In other words no AHL team could move there. A while back the Oilers tried to relocate the blades to Edmonton in exchange for their dormant AHL team, but that fell through.
That can probably change though...

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 4:55 PM

Quote:
You'll note I said 'considered' and assuming it's 'feasible' and they build a new arena etc. I didn't indicate I thought it was likely to happen, but it certainly is possible. Yes, Saskatoon could support AHL and would be a much safer bet of course. That's assuming they wanted it?

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:32 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
^ i hear you....but this is substantial news.

it has been a crazy rumour ride but that is to be expected when everything has to be done behind closed doors because of the legalities in phoenix....its amazing that it has been able to stay as quiet as it has...

when we will look back on this we will realize that the internet broke the story 6 months before it became part of the main stream media.
Rumors of the NHL's return seems to arise quarterly in the Winnipeg blogosphere and discussion forums. It has been going on much longer than six months, more than six years even. Some people even maintain whole websites dedicated to this rumour mill (jetsowner.com, manitobamythbusters.com).

Your particular "very soon" rumour from March 2nd was notable, as you included the Richardson family - hadn't heard that variation of the rumour before. Assuming "richardson" as in the notable Winnipeg family/company. Guess we'll have to see if your particular version is correct/Richardson involvement. I'd "eat crow" if they are involved - one of the reasons I've doubted it is that hockey seems out of character for that family ("old money").

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 5:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hey if we do get them back having mts center just a mater of blocks from portage and main will be that much sweeter if we win the stanly cup lol cause now they can walk up donald to the LC or into city place and buy the booz then walk a couple blocks to portage and main and party lol

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Your particular "very soon" rumour from March 2nd was notable, as you included the Richardson family - hadn't heard that variation of the rumour before. Assuming "richardson" as in the notable Winnipeg family/company. Guess we'll have to see if your particular version is correct/Richardson involvement. I'd "eat crow" if they are involved - one of the reasons I've doubted it is that hockey seems out of character for that family ("old money").
To be fair, the Richardson name was brought up a lot longer ago than that. I'd been hearing about them as saviours at least 10 years ago. Thomson is the relatively new player here (although not that new for folks who've been paying attention - IIRC he bought into TNSE about 3 years ago).

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:03 PM
Change is good

Quote:
remove thunder bay, add in Winnipeg. Remove Saskatoon, and put in Kansas City, Oklahoma, or Las Vegas...change out AHL and put in the word NHL and your statement still is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar altered text for new meaning! View Post
Why would the NHL move a team to a city (Winnipeg) which would be the smallest in the league, with a tiny antiquated arena, to an area with an extremely high unemployment rate, when Kansas City/Las Vegas/Oklahoma City has a fairly new 20K arena basically sitting vacant, a population twice the size of Winnipeg with a stable economy?

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Winnipeg has an extremely low unemployment rate right now, both in comparison to the rest of the country, and its historical rates.

Other than that though, I can't dispute your point.

I still say that Phoenix is all the proof anyone should need that population size is a very small factor in a hockey team's success. Hell, Brandon (40,000?) has a WHL team.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Update from TSN.

Quote:
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.

Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
Interesting. I've been wondering how much Phoenix getting knocked out of the playoffs has affected things. You have to think we wouldn't be hearing any of this if they were still making a run.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:26 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Rumors of the NHL's return seems to arise quarterly in the Winnipeg blogosphere and discussion forums. It has been going on much longer than six months, more than six years even. Some people even maintain whole websites dedicated to this rumour mill (jetsowner.com, manitobamythbusters.com).

there has never been real rumour about specific teams until a few months ago....it was always if/maybe....the direct rumours are only recent.

Elliot Friedman reporting, via twitter, that the purchase price by the Thompson/Chipman groups IS $165 million and that the Province of Manitoba is also involved financially.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Thomson is the relatively new player here (although not that new for folks who've been paying attention - IIRC he bought into TNSE about 3 years ago).
thomson owned the old eatons building and was given a stake in true north in lieu of payment for the land when the mts centre was built.

so, in a weird way the old eatons building gave her life to bring back the jets.

Last edited by trueviking; May 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2010, 8:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
thomson owned the old eatons building and was given a stake in true north in lieu of payment for the land when the mts centre was built.

so, in a weird way the old eatons building gave her life to bring back the jets.
Interesting, I didn't know that part. I thought he bought in after the rink was built.

Count me as one Albertan who'll be cheering for them, Finally, a Canadian team that has a chance!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan