HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 5:33 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

It does not seem to be received well by the frequent riders, mainly because of the limited stops and longer exit out of downtown. Via replaced routes 91, 92, and the yellow streetcar route with Primo, but in response to complaints, quietly added a new route 95 that goes down Fredricksburg Rd from downtown to Wonderland Mall park and ride and back. Riders going to Medical Center have no choice, but I very much prefer bus #95 to the Primo because it is a faster ride. There is also a bottleneck on Fredricksburg Rd. between IH10 and Hildebrand where the street is a very narrow 4 lanes. Traffic can be excruciating depending on the time of day, causing delays.

As looks go, Primo is a gorgeous bus, certainly superior to a typical bus or modern streetcar IMO, but is definitely not being used to its full potential in SA.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
It does not seem to be received well by the frequent riders, mainly because of the limited stops and longer exit out of downtown. Via replaced routes 91, 92, and the yellow streetcar route with Primo, but in response to complaints, quietly added a new route 95 that goes down Fredricksburg Rd from downtown to Wonderland Mall park and ride and back. Riders going to Medical Center have no choice, but I very much prefer bus #95 to the Primo because it is a faster ride. There is also a bottleneck on Fredricksburg Rd. between IH10 and Hildebrand where the street is a very narrow 4 lanes. Traffic can be excruciating depending on the time of day, causing delays.

As looks go, Primo is a gorgeous bus, certainly superior to a typical bus or modern streetcar IMO, but is definitely not being used to its full potential in SA.
It's definitely a gorgeous bus. When I came back to visit a while back, it was my first time seeing it and could not stop taking pics. I even drove down to the station at Medical and Babcock.

Eh, not everything is a success right away. We'll just have to give it time.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 8:42 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The whole streetcar thing has really hogged all the attention in the last year or so in the media. I'd really like to see a piece in the Express-News or something about how succesful Primo has been.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
The whole streetcar thing has really hogged all the attention in the last year or so in the media. I'd really like to see a piece in the Express-News or something about how succesful Primo has been.
They have been successful but there have been a fair number of mechanical problems too, old article:

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/feat...lems-100.shtml

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 10:03 PM

Did anyone see the piece on the news about TXdot planning on spending around $800 million in San Antonio on road projects? They're supposed to announce the exact projects this Monday but people are speculating I-10, 281, and 1604 becoming toll roads.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNF View Post
Did anyone see the piece on the news about TXdot planning on spending around $800 million in San Antonio on road projects? They're supposed to announce the exact projects this Monday but people are speculating I-10, 281, and 1604 becoming toll roads.
All I saw is that more details are forthcoming. One article that I read said an announcement would be made on 1/6/14.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:58 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

$825 million worth of toll and non-toll lanes planned for three San Antonio freeways

Quote:
As state and local officials giddily unveiled plans Monday to spend $825 million on highway projects, Bexar County got one step closer to shaking off its distinction as one of the last urban areas in Texas without toll lanes.

U.S. 281 north of Loop 1604 will be converted to an expressway with a mix of free and toll lanes. On Interstate 10, toll lanes will be added in the center between 1604 and Ralph Fair Road, and tolled connector ramps will be built to link I-10 and 1604, expanding the capacity of that interchange.

But tolls are only one part of the massive plan as officials also announced funding to switch a long section of western Loop 1604 to a nontoll expressway.

Besides the highway projects, Mayor Julián Castro announced Monday the city's plan to take over almost 22 miles of major streets now maintained by the Texas Department of Transportation, including parts of Broadway, San Pedro Avenue, Culebra Road and Fredericksburg Road.

The City Council and TxDOT still have to approve the (take over) proposal. City officials have asked the state to meet certain conditions first, including that TxDOT perform maintenance on all the roads before they are handed over and that the state pay to make part of Broadway a “complete” street, one that accommodates pedestrians, bicyclists and other alternative modes of transportation.

I think the best part of this is the switching of control of 22 miles of streets from txdot to the COSA.

The best part of that being that one of those streets will is the central core portion of Broadway. As the article states, before the switch, the state has to make part of Broadway a complete street.

That's beyond awesome!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 7:56 AM

So is the study and lawsuit that stopped the 281N toll roads last time already over? Have they gotten the environmental "ok" to build them?
Will they be finishing the north ramps of the 1604/281 interchange?

I'm thinking this is going to be another toll road shoot down. But maybe cause they're calling them "managed lanes" where buses and carpools can ride for free might be the push to get it through.

Anyone know more?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:00 PM

The state having to complete Broadway and hand it over to the city is excellent news. I was surprised to hear how many roads the states controls within the city.

I cannot believe that residents north of 1604 on 281 keep shooting down toll roads. Yes, it would be nicer to have freeways, but I would rather pay a toll than waste my life away in traffic up there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:10 PM

The only thing that should be reconsidered IMO is leaving the current 1604/10 interchange as is. While they are going to add tolled ramps, I feel they should build the interchange to adequate size to accommodate all thru traffic and have the toll section begin after 1604. Im glad that the city is going to be taking over some surface streets.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
The only thing that should be reconsidered IMO is leaving the current 1604/10 interchange as is. While they are going to add tolled ramps, I feel they should build the interchange to adequate size to accommodate all thru traffic and have the toll section begin after 1604. Im glad that the city is going to be taking over some surface streets.
I agree. 1604/10 gets a lot of traffic and the interchange needs to better accommodate that traffic.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 1:05 AM

Just like I35 is being expanded on the north side, it needs expansion on the south side. i hope funds are found within the next few years to expand I35 south of Hwy 90.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 11:10 PM

Attorney general opposes VIA's funding plan
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...an-5133178.php

Maybe they should try something a little more reasonable rather than building the longest, most expensive option right off the bat.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 12:44 AM

Well that is a shame... but hopefully it can get back on track once this side rail is over.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNF View Post
Attorney general opposes VIA's funding plan
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...an-5133178.php

Maybe they should try something a little more reasonable rather than building the longest, most expensive option right off the bat.
Not sure how you read it but the AG only opposes the funding used for the transit stations. The Westside station and the Green station on the near east side.

The streetcar has it's funding (phase I) so there's no need to worry about it not being built.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoyouwantandwhy View Post
Well that is a shame... but hopefully it can get back on track once this side rail is over.
The first phase of the street car is funded and will be built. Phase II is about 70 million under funded and VIA is going after a federal transportation grant to pay for it. It's looking really good that VIA will get the grant.

The article posted is about the AG opposing something seprate from the actual street car itself.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 4:13 AM

Not sure if anyone else caught this by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation, Anthony Foxx...

http://www.dot.gov/fastlane/san-anto...ansit-remember

Quote:
In San Antonio, transit to remember

January 8, 2014
Posted by Anthony Foxx

I was in San Antonio, Texas, yesterday, with Mayor Julian Castro, and while I was there I learned that one of the Alamo City's taglines is "Something to Remember." After reviewing the city's cutting edge public transit facilities, I can see several reasons why.
read more...
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 5:12 AM

This graphic shows exactly what's planned. Phase I is fully funded and will begin construction early next year.

Phase II is partially funded and needs about $70 million to begin construction. VIA is after a federal transportation grant that will award them with $75 million. If given that grant this year, construction on phase II will begin shortly after Phase I begins construction.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:07 AM

That's good. I wasn't aware that the streetcar and transit centers were different projects.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 7:47 PM

If you haven't seen it yet, read this op-ed "Via breaking promises to taxpayers" on MySA.com from Jan 17th. Some just don't learn.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/...rs-5153496.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio