HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 9:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba - 2007 Throne Speech Highlights

Manitoba News Release

November 20, 2007

2007 THRONE SPEECH HIGHLIGHTS

Green and Growing

- A $206-million investment for the upgrade of all three
waste-water treatment plants in Winnipeg as part of tri-level negotiations to address the City of Winnipeg's capital requirements.

- A $150-million commitment for rural and northern water and waste-water projects.

- New legislation to set out Manitoba's Kyoto target.

- A phasing down of the Brandon coal plant and requiring
the capture of methane emissions from large landfills.

- A commitment to reduce total greenhouse gas emissions in Manitoba below 2000 levels over the next two years.

- A new provincewide program to help lower-income
Manitobans make cost-effective, energy-efficient home improvements.

- A new fuel mandate for biodiesel.

- New restrictions on household use of dishwashing detergents and lawn fertilizers to help protect lakes and rivers.

- New measures to address cottage and residential septic fields.

- A new strategy to conserve water.

- A commitment to plant one million trees a year for the next five years in partnership with the Manitoba Forestry Association and other groups.

Innovation and Competitiveness
- An additional 4,000 apprenticeship spaces through a four-year plan.

- Expansion of the University College of the North.

- Further capital investments for university campuses in Winnipeg and Brandon.

- Enhancement of the Manitoba Bursary Fund to provide direct support for students.

- Additional labour market services for immigrants.

- A new Qualifications Recognition Strategy.

- Expansion and entrenching of the highly-successful Sector Council Strategy in legislation.

- New measures to reduce red tape.

- An enhanced driver's licence as an affordable and secure form of identification for travellers, to be offered beginning in the fall of 2008.

Addressing the Challenges of a Rapidly Rising Dollar

- Starting Jan, 1, 2008, beginning the phase-out of the
province's corporate capital tax and making the Manufacturing Investment Tax Credit 70 per cent refundable;

- Establish a rapid response team to expedite the resolution of issues faced by individual sectors or companies.

- Introduce a new timber-pricing policy.

- Increase the farmland tax rebate to 70 per cent.

- Launch the Road to 2010 tourism promotion strategy with a goal of reaching $2 billion in annual tourism revenue by 2010.

- Make an immediate, two-year investment in the equity investment program for local filmmakers while enhancing the incentives for foreign film productions to hire local personnel.

Tax Reductions

- A commitment to implement Budget 2007 tax reductions, subject to the requirements of balanced budget legislation,
including:

. farmland school tax rebate increase to 70 per cent in
2008;

. middle income bracket tax rate reduction to 12.75 per
cent from 13 per cent, effective Jan. 1, 2008;

. basic personal amount increase of $200, effective Jan.
1, 2008;

. corporate income tax rate reduction to 13 per cent from 14 per cent, effective July 1, 2008;

. small business tax rate reduction to two per cent from three per cent, effective Jan. 1, 2008; and

. beginning a Corporation Capital Tax phase-out with reduction of the rate to 0.4 per cent from 0.5 per cent, beginning in January 2008.

Healthy Families

- Expansion of child-care spaces by another 2,500 over the next two years.

- New measures to further improve school retention rates.

- A new partnership with First Nations and the federal
government to improve graduation and retention rates.

- A new Safe Child Care Charter to provide parents with further confidence that their children are being looked after in a safe environment.

- New legislation that builds on anti-bullying
initiatives.

- Mandatory physical education every year for students entering high school this year.

- New legislation to ban the sale of foods containing trans fats in school vending machines and cafeterias.

- A new bicycle trail to be built, to be named the Duff
Roblin Trail, extending 40 kilometres from the floodway inlet to Birds Hill Park.

Health
- New nurse training spaces to be added at Manitoba's universities and colleges.

- New training spaces to be added at the University of Manitoba school of medicine.

- A new primary-care paramedic program to be introduced
at Red River College.

- Additional nurses and aides to be hired in personal-care homes.

- More dieticians, respiratory therapists and occupational therapists to be added as part of a long-term strategy to improve quality of care for seniors.

- A new hospital in Selkirk.

- New operating facilities at Ste. Anne Hospital.

- Redevelopment of the emergency ward at Steinbach's Bethesda Hospital.

- Additional dialysis treatment facilities to be added in Winnipeg and Gimli, and in the First Nations communities of Berens River, Norway House and Peguis.

- Consultations to begin on constructing a new Women's Hospital at the Health Sciences Centre.

- A new South End Birthing Centre to be managed by the Women's Health Clinic.

- Redevelopment of the maternity ward at St. Boniface General Hospital.

- A new MRI and a cardiac catheterization lab at the Children's Hospital.

- A new asthma and allergy clinic for children at the
Health Sciences Centre.

- A new pediatric ophthalmology program at the Health Sciences Centre.

Safer Communities

- Hiring of more police officers as the first step in a
new commitment to add 100 officers.

- Expanding the Lighthouses program to provide more
places for young people to play sports, study or go online in the evenings.

- Expanding the Turnabout program to provide more
monitoring and alternative outings for children under 12 who come in conflict with the law.

- Adding a new anti-gang Crown attorney in the Brandon
region.

- Adding two new investigative teams to assist
communities in tackling organized crime.

- Introducing new legislation to provide protection for witnesses who testify against gangs.

- Dedicating a justice unit to enforce a new criminal
property forfeiture law.

- Dedicating a Crown attorney to work exclusively on child exploitation cases.

Inclusion and Citizenship

- An increase in the minimum wage based on previous public consultations.

- An increase to the child benefit to provide support to working families.

- An expansion of the popular Safety Aid program to provide security to low-income seniors.

- Changes to election laws to increase democratic
participation and improve accessibility and transparency for citizens.

- Appointment of a new privacy commissioner with the power to issue orders under Manitoba's freedom of information and protection of privacy legislation.

- Introduction of amendments to the Employment Services
Act to protect workers who are not covered by existing labour law protections.

Northern Manitoba

- Enhance the University College of the North's main campus facilities in The Pas and Thompson.

- Provide additional satellite university campuses in remote communities.

- Begin work on a tripartite partnership to strengthen primary and secondary education in the north.

- Expand training of health professionals for northern areas.

- Further expand the successful Northern Healthy Foods
Initiative with the development of a commercial greenhouse at Grand Rapids.

- Establish a new round table to allow youth in east side communities to discuss challenges and work towards solutions.

- Begin work on the first leg of the all-weather road from Hollow Water to Bloodvein with the building of two new bridges.
- Continue route selection now underway for the second
leg to Berens River.

Rural Manitoba

- An increase in the farmland tax rebate to 70 per cent.

- A $95-million commitment through the Canadian
Agricultural Income Stabilization (CAIS) program to support farm income including the livestock sector.

- A commitment to negotiate a new federal-provincial
safety net package.

- Begin work to extend the successful Bridging Generations program to rural small businesses and fishers.

- Consult with the co-operative sector to enhance support for co-ops.

- In partnership with the federal government, launch Value Chain Manitoba, an innovative business model to promote formal partnerships between producers, processors and suppliers.

Urban Centres

- Continue work on the Eastern Access project in Brandon.

- Expand Neighbourhoods Alive! to five new urban
centres: Flin Flon, The Pas, Dauphin, Portage la Prairie and Selkirk.

- Provide support for Brandon's newly-announced Renaissance Brandon project.

- Construct new affordable housing in urban centres across the province as part of the HOMEWorks! program and revitalize over 13,000 public housing units.

- Begin implementing a plan to double funding for
recreation facilities across the province including support for proposed facilities in Winnipeg, Brandon, The Pas, Portage la Prairie and the Selkirk Library.

- Provide funding to add four firefighting positions each
in Brandon, Thompson and Portage la Prairie to increase public safety and fire response.

- Provide $3.8 million to the City of Winnipeg to support 20 new firefighting positions and other priorities of the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

- Finalize agreements to be signed for the Museum for
Human Rights that will trigger the establishment of the first national museum outside Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 10:12 PM
Density and complexity

Zzzzzzz...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 1:53 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Uggh, I can't believe I actually read the whole thing. It's no wonder this province has been in steady decline for 30 years.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its not enuff but theres some steps in the right direction..

also nice to see they are kicking more money into the water treatment project but still not 1/3 like they were supost to kick in with the feds now i the feds would atleast match the province or outdo them btw the city and province should be creating incentives to conserve water and power... like tax credits for recyling bath water for flashing the toilit or watering the garden/ lawn ect

the toursim goal is good goal as its a major industry in the norther part of manitoba espeacly lynn lake...

this kyoto thing hmm wonder whats coming outa that...

yea theres alota junk in it but some interesting bits still....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 4:46 AM

A couple of neat ideas. One that may get overlooked may be the additional attention to co-ops. All in all though, it is very dry. The NDP, plain and simple, are tired.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 5:56 AM

Maybe we should write our own throne speech. Anybody want to take a stab at it?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 1:58 PM

provincial economy is booming and this is what we get? where's the reduction on PST, massive personal tax cuts or school tax cuts. most of what what was announced was already mentioned ions ago. what a farce this NDP gov't is.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:38 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
provincial economy is booming and this is what we get? where's the reduction on PST, massive personal tax cuts or school tax cuts. most of what what was announced was already mentioned ions ago. what a farce this NDP gov't is.
Our provincial economy is anything but booming. I don't recall a half dozen 40 story buildings going up in our downtown last year.

I think everyone damn well knows were losing the race to BC, Alberta, and increasingly Saskatchewan.

For a government that has been in power for 10 years, if this is the best they have to offer we're doomed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 2:53 PM
arf

The throne speech did seem rather fluffy, but I was impressed by

Quote:
A commitment to reduce total greenhouse gas emissions in Manitoba below 2000 levels over the next two years
Not that I think it's necessarily a good thing for the Manitoban economy, but I think it's the first time I've heard any government (federal, provincial or municiapl) actually come out with a timeline not thirty years (when they won't be in power) down the road for doing some reductions. So I give them kudos to that. Generally, the timeline is pushed out so that it becomes fodder for opposition crap saying, well we said we were going to do something and we were on our way, but then the new government dropped the ball. What ball? What game plan? Seriously. That kind of politicking is just lame. With a capital L, loser, lame.

It's not a big thing, but it's an accountable thing concerning the environment.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 3:11 PM
Movin' on up

, and might I add,

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Our provincial economy is anything but booming. I don't recall a half dozen 40 story buildings going up in our downtown last year.

I think everyone damn well knows were losing the race to BC, Alberta, and increasingly Saskatchewan.

For a government that has been in power for 10 years, if this is the best they have to offer we're doomed.
What race are we losing? The race to obsolescence as Alberta builds a society where the automobile is the key, it will be sooner than later when gasoline prices curtail the auto age we are in today!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 3:47 PM
Movin' on up

Well, I do like the environmental initiatives brought up. I'll give them that, but nothing more.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:30 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Some of the environmental proposals are surprisingly good.

The one juicy and un-NDP bit that actually could impact development and job creation the most in this town, and seems to be slipping by you boys, is the reduction/removal of the Capital Tax. I'm surprised and happy to see that on there.

In fact, NewFlyer should be renting his U-Haul and moving back any day now.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:45 PM
arf

^Hmmm...I sort of skimmed over that section when it said dealing with the rising dollar which was a bit of an aberration the last couple of weeks in my opinion.

That is a good thing though and it'll be interesting to see if the NDP sweeps that item under the table if the dollar does dip back below $1.00 earlyish next year as experts seem to be predicting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:51 PM
A long time gone

it looks very good to me. It seems people is complaining just because they're NDP...

Why to build an all-weather road on the east side of Lake Winnipeg though? Wasn't that area supposed to be a wildlife sanctuary or similar?

Look at the crap is done by the city at the same time instead:

Quote:
Winnipeg council nixes term limits, approves water rate hike
Last Updated: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 | 5:11 PM CT
CBC News

Winnipeg city councillors on Wednesday defeated a motion to introduce term limits on council positions, but approved a proposal to increase water and sewer rates by almost 12 per cent.

Rookie River Heights-Fort Garry Coun. Brenda Leipsic brought forward the term-limit motion, which would have restricted councillors and the mayor from serving more than three terms, or about 12 years.

It's nearly impossible to defeat an incumbent councillor in a Winnipeg election, so Leipsic said term limits would give new people a chance to inject new energy and ideas into the council.

No incumbent mayor has lost re-election in the city since the 1970s, and incumbent councillors have been victorious 81 per cent of the time over the last 27 years.

Term limits were a big issue when she was out campaigning before the 2006 civic election, Leipsic said.

But Coun. Bill Clement (Charleswood Tuxedo), a 24-year veteran of council, said he has never heard the issue raised.
"I just don't accept that right next door to my community, in an area that I represented for several years, that all of a sudden this became an issue," he said.

"It was made an issue by the candidates at the door in that constituency. That's what happened there."

Clement worries term limits will mean going back to the days of the administration running the city.

"I can tell you, we wouldn't have had 12 years of no tax increases if this would have been a short-term council."

The motion was defeated by a vote of 9-7. Leipsic said she would bring the issue back to council, but she's not sure when.
Water bills going up

At the same meeting, councillors approved an increase to water and sewer rates by a vote of 10-6.

The increased rates come a day after the province pledged $206 million to carry out provincially ordered upgrades to the city's water and sewage treatment system.

Mayor Sam Katz said the provincial money is welcome, but is not enough to delay or cancel the need for a rate hike to fund the $1 billion upgrade.

The 11.6 per cent increase, which comes on the heels of this year's 13 per cent rate hike, will add an estimated $80 to the water and sewer bill of a typical residential customer, increasing the total annual bill to about $775 in 2008.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 1:00 AM
Tiger

The government is not perfect, it does some things well, it falls a bit short in other areas. It could be worse, you could take a page out of Ontario's socialist agenda or Alberta's neocon vision.

The job of government is supposed to balance economic/social/environmental considerations. For those who want to slaughter Doer, if you can find me a government in this country that does a good job in balancing those 3 things, point it out.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:45 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Some of the environmental proposals are surprisingly good.

The one juicy and un-NDP bit that actually could impact development and job creation the most in this town, and seems to be slipping by you boys, is the reduction/removal of the Capital Tax. I'm surprised and happy to see that on there.

In fact, NewFlyer should be renting his U-Haul and moving back any day now.
LOL..... yes that one surprised me as well. Now where did I put those moving boxes?

Last edited by newflyer; Nov 22, 2007 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:50 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Yes this government is out of ideas.. which is sad because they have done little to improve things other than hand off huge government projects to there unions masters, since they came into power. a decade wasted in my eyes.

.. but now is not the time to realize this point. I knew the day the NDP was re-elected that Manitoba wouldn't be making much progress for at least 4 more years.

I am happy with the announced tax cuts... even if they are tiny compared with to the progress in BC, Alta and Sask.

Last edited by newflyer; Nov 22, 2007 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 5:57 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN View Post
The government is not perfect, it does some things well, it falls a bit short in other areas. It could be worse, you could take a page out of Ontario's socialist agenda or Alberta's neocon vision.

The job of government is supposed to balance economic/social/environmental considerations. For those who want to slaughter Doer, if you can find me a government in this country that does a good job in balancing those 3 things, point it out.
If relying on the wealth of other provinces is what you consider a good balance, instead of building a proud province which offers its youth a bright future with tons of opportunity, which attracts and retains its brightest, than I'll pass.

I'll take a strong economy thanks.. but you are correct it could be worse.. and I'll try to focus on the positives.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 6:08 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
it looks very good to me. It seems people is complaining just because they're NDP...

Why to build an all-weather road on the east side of Lake Winnipeg though? Wasn't that area supposed to be a wildlife sanctuary or similar?

Look at the crap is done by the city at the same time instead:
The NDP is failing Manitoba... plan and simple. Doer should be taking a page from Katz and focus on building Manitoba into a great place to live and invest.

As far as the road goes.. I don't think a single road which connects some communities in the north to the south is a bad thing. One road won't ruin the sanctuary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan