HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waldorf-Astoria in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:09 PM

This thing is stunning. I hope they use two shades of glass. That is what it looks like to me, a dark blue and a light blue. Can't wait to hear further news.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:22 PM

Alliance's map shows how Columbus/Fairbanks is becoming a major hub of highrise development.

All that's needed now is some more retail to give it a bit more energy -- but not too much retail, please. No need for a Magnificent Mile clone.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:29 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post
Alliance's map shows how Columbus/Fairbanks is becoming a major hub of highrise development.

All that's needed now is some more retail to give it a bit more energy -- but not too much retail, please. No need for a Magnificent Mile clone.
I agree, there really isnt much over there besides the movie theaters and Navy Pier. I dont find the area to be very pedestrian friendly either.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:31 PM
THAT Guy

The Hanover rental tower on the northern portion is supposed to have a decent amount of retail (something like 20K).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:47 PM

This proposal looks great! With all of the new hotel construction in the city, is this in some way a preparation for the looming 2016 Olympics? Do these developers know something that we don't?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:48 PM
Time/Space

Awesome for Chicago!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:51 PM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read Chicago: Waldorf-Astoria 100 Floors in the highrise proposals section, lol. I had to do one of those double takes. This is a stunning proposal. Just one picture and I'm already drooling like the slob smilies.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PansitPinoy View Post
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read Chicago: Waldorf-Astoria 100 Floors in the highrise proposals section, lol. I had to do one of those double takes.
i think it caught most of us off-guard. i mean, we all knew that carley had something significant on the burner for this site, but i was expecting something a bit more modest, in the 60-70 story range. 100 floors and this gorgeous design came completely out of left field for me.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Very sleek. Probably just an early rendering, but it reminds me of the SWF. It would be ironic if this one got built, and the Spire didn't.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:59 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
the Spire didn't.
Man, are you trying to act like a jinx or something ?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Very sleek. Probably just an early rendering, but it reminds me of the SWF.
SWF?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Very sleek. Probably just an early rendering, but it reminds me of the SWF. It would be ironic if this one got built, and the Spire didn't.
The Spire IS being built.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 9:42 PM

Quote:
That's my concern, which was argued for about a page in this thread already.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 9:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That's my concern, which was argued for about a page in this thread already.
and that's a totally fair concern, but i would also advise you to be mindful that these two projects are on entirely different schedules. there's probably a minimum of 18-24 months before these guys could even start talking about sales (and most likely even longer than that going by other recent supertall projects like trump, waterview), and by that time the spire might already be making a significant dent in the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 9:54 PM

Quote:
SWF?
He's talking about Shanghai World Financial Center. I can see the resemblance at the base, but the lines are different, as is the top. Looking forward to more renders to see what the deal with the upper floors is.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and that's a totally fair concern, but i would also advise you to be mindful that these two projects are on entirely different schedules. there's probably a minimum of 18-24 months before these guys could even start talking about sales (and most likely even longer than that going by other recent supertall projects like trump, waterview), and by that time the spire might already be making a significant dent in the skyline.
I understand. But it's still "in the pipeline". I think there's a case to be made that the Spire, which was first proposed in the summer of 2005, has had a dampening effect on Trump's ability to sell the final units in his building, even though it had already broken ground in the spring of 2005. It's almost exactly the same differential in timing. And that was before any truly serious concerns around the U.S. real estate market. In my business, people are more skeptical of M&A that would require significant funding from debt due to the backlog from LBOs that exists currently, despite the fact that anything one started discussions around right now wouldn't need to be marketed to investors until at least next summer.

I'm not saying this building will prevent the Spire from being successful, just that it's worth worrying about. I'd rather have the Spire get to 60% pre-sales than have both this and the Spire reach 40%, and neither get built.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:

There won't be demand for large scale retail in the area - every department store or boutique is already on Michigan. What the area should get is a proliferation of restaurants.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'm not saying this building will prevent the Spire from being successful, just that it's worth worrying about. I'd rather have the Spire get to 60% pre-sales than have both this and the Spire reach 40%, and neither get built.
but why are you so sure that they're going to compete for the exact same buyers? the spire stands alone as one of the singular achievements in the history of our species, it will succeed or fail on its own, there will be no other projects that possess anywhere near the same level of magic to torpedo it, this waldorf-astoria tower included.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
I love boxes.

^^ Damn Right !

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 10:16 PM
Starchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
but why are you so sure that they're going to compete for the exact same buyers? the spire stands alone as one of the singular achievements in the history of our species, it will succeed or fail on its own, there will be no other projects that possess anywhere near the same level of magic to torpedo it, this waldorf-astoria tower included.
Perfectly Said
Here at JMH Architectural Group no task is too complicated. From the simplest rendering to the most complex urban plan, our world-class team of draftspeople, artists, designers and architects never say "I tried that it didn't work".

JMH Architectural Group. Where I GIVE UP is never an answer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive