HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 4:45 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

As I keep saying, if population is that important, feel free to have a large family. You can't rely on immigration for everything!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:00 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I hate it when people claim that Regina is comepletely reliant on the government. Yes, there are a lot of government jobs, but its a capital city in an NDP province. What do you expect?

We don't rely on the government, People seem to forget that Regina has some of Saskatchewan's (and Canada's) largest private companies

Also, Saskatoon benefits more from being closer to all the northern mines. It's not like the people in Saskatoon are born fundamentally more capitalist
Being the capital... it is more reliant than Saskatoon on government jobs and investment. Yes Regina does have some private companys and investment ... but governmen is a significant part of the economy.

As far as being more capitalist .. well thats up arguement.. but some prescribe to the view that the people are a product of there environment. This is true at least in other cities, which are located close by, but have different social and economic makeup. Examples .. Calgary-Edmonton, Toronto-Hamilton, Vancouver-Victoria... ect ect.

I think it would be fair to say Saskatoon is developing into the business capital of Saskatchewan, while Regina is the government capital.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
You tell me.

The fact is that the 2006 census, which was actually released in March of 2007, not over a year ago, is inaccurate. Like I said it undercounted the population of Saskatchewan by 10,000 people and the data was gathered before ALbertans started to move here.

You can use the census as much as you like, but the truth is that it's not accurate.

Not sure why you are making personal attacks...I'm just trying to participate in the discussion...
Despite When the census was released (spring 2007) it was taken in spring 2006, A little more than a year ago. It is the most recent figures we have and will be until the next census in some 4 years time. Everything else is an estimation (GUESS).

As for under counting, any facts or figures to back up your claim? If not 10,000 is peanuts for a province of a million.

As for Albertans moving here, remember for every Albertan moving here there is probably a Saskatchewanian moving to Alberta.

For the personal attack comment take it for what it is. You may have noticed the **, so you are filling in the blanks. Nothing personal against you just the statements you were making.

Saskatoon will continue to be the new hub of Saskatchewan as well it should. Remember if not for the railroad back in the 1880's Regina would still be little more than a speed bump on the plains. Where as Saskatoon actually has a geographical reason for existing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 5:33 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post

Saskatoon will continue to be the new hub of Saskatchewan as well it should. Remember if not for the railroad back in the 1880's Regina would still be little more than a speed bump on the plains. Where as Saskatoon actually has a geographical reason for existing.
The new Hub of Saskatchewan? According to whom exactly?? Perhaps you should back up your claims and you suggested to me.

If not for the university then Saskatoon would be what exactly?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:08 PM
Mooderator

Regina could pass Saskatoon in population..who knows for sure what the future holds?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 9:47 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

This thread is retarded. Obviously Saskatoon would be different without the U of S. Regina would be different if it were not the Capital. Blah blah blah.....

Currently Regina would need a HUGE boom to catch and surpass Saskatoon, could it happen? Maybe... who fu**ing knows! Who knew my house would double in price in less than a year. I believe current mentioned indicators (census, housing starts, GDP's ect.) all favour Saskatoon population wise. Show me something other than civic pride that favours Regina and I will gladly accept it.

Last edited by swilley; Jul 20, 2007 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The new Hub of Saskatchewan? According to whom exactly?? Perhaps you should back up your claims and you suggested to me.

A city along the South Saskatchewan river serving Central and Northern Saskatchewan. With rail, Air, and Road connections to Western Canada.

As for Hub lets see, The airport is the largest, busiest in Saskatchewan with roughly a milion passengers a year. The city is served by Via Rail. The only large city in Saskatchewan connected and the city is connected by good roads to all major western Canada cities including Regina.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
A city along the South Saskatchewan river serving Central and Northern Saskatchewan. With rail, Air, and Road connections to Western Canada.

As for Hub lets see, The airport is the largest, busiest in Saskatchewan with roughly a milion passengers a year. The city is served by Via Rail. The only large city in Saskatchewan connected and the city is connected by good roads to all major western Canada cities including Regina.
I don't know if those factors would make Saskatoon the new major hub. Mostly because there is no clear-cut definition of major hub

Regina also has good roads (if not better, now that the #1 is fully twinned) connecting it to every major city in Western Canada. Calgary doesn't have VIA either, so I wouldn't really consider that a valid reason, and as for the airport, I think Saskatoon's airport has always been busier, even when Regina was the largest city. Doesn't it have to do with the fact that many workers in the northe are flown in and out of Saskatoon?

All I'm saying is, that right now, I think Saskatoon and Regina are too close to call. Saskatchewan has two major hubs at the moment.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:

To be fair - I think the question should be "if not for the University of Regina", then how much better could the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon be?

I understand civic pride will always make you favour Regina - but I'm a former Saskatchewan resident and I recall learning that Regina was made the capital, and a short while later the provincial university was given to Saskatoon. A little something for everyone, if you will. The Regina Campus was a division of the University of Saskatchewan - all under the same administration. Then along came the 1970's, and suddenly the "need" for a University of Regina (arguably an NDP vote-buying mechanism from Regina MLA and premier Allan Blakeney).

Result: Two universities competing against each other for funds, rather than having a more efficient single adminstration and allocation of higher education dollars throughout the province of Saskatchewan.

I understand Regina also gets a large government grant for its "provincial" art gallery (MacKenzie Art Gallery), whereas by comparison the Mendel Art Gallery in Saskatoon receives barely a pittance from the government.

All this government funding of various educational and cultural institutions, yet the population of Saskatoon has outgrown Regina for the past couple of decades.

Notwithstanding all this however, Regina still has a lot going on its favour - namely "recognition". For whatever reason, Saskatoon is either not known, or it poorly markets itself east of the Saskatchewan- Manitoba border. A significant number of Torontonians (where I'm now living) believe that the ONLY city in Saskatchewan is Regina, and that Saskatoon is nothing more than a secondary city - possibly not much bigger than Moose Jaw (which also seems to garner more recognition than Saskatoon).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I don't know if those factors would make Saskatoon the new major hub. Mostly because there is no clear-cut definition of major hub

Regina also has good roads (if not better, now that the #1 is fully twinned) connecting it to every major city in Western Canada. Calgary doesn't have VIA either, so I wouldn't really consider that a valid reason, and as for the airport, I think Saskatoon's airport has always been busier, even when Regina was the largest city. Doesn't it have to do with the fact that many workers in the northe are flown in and out of Saskatoon?

All I'm saying is, that right now, I think Saskatoon and Regina are too close to call. Saskatchewan has two major hubs at the moment.
I was merely backing up my previous statement that ccf wanted me to.

As for him backing up his statements, I guess if you have no proof then it is pretty hard to back them up.

As for hubs yes Saskatchewan has two large ones, but the edge would have to be in Saskatoons favour.

As for the thread topic, nope Regina will not over take Saskatoon in the near future, barring a MAJOR government vote buying spree.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 5:53 PM
Movin' on up

Just out of curiosity, in addition to the high number of aborigional people flocking to Saskatoon and Regina as well as the increase in Albertan's moving back to Saskatchewan, are there high immigration rates in either Saskatoon or Regina helping to boost the population of both cities? If so, are there high retention rates, or do they stay for a year or two and move on to bigger cities?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 3:09 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych1 View Post
Do ya think Victoria will ever catch up to Vancouver ? . I think it is unfortunate that Saskatchewan has two small cities instead of one medium sized one. Manitoba is a similar size to Saskatchewan, but Winnipeg has many more amenities and is more cosmopolitan than Saskatoon and Regina combined. Can't change history I guess, but I don't think it would do either city any harm, if the other outgrew it and became a more self sustaining size in the process. Victoria benefits greatly from the successes of Vancouver.
this is interesting, I have no idea how other prairie cities look like. Winnipeg is very cosmopolitan, being half of the people I see around visible minorities; what about Saskatoon and Regina? Do they have a lot of immigrants or are they "whiter"?

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 3:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
this is interesting, I have no idea how other prairie cities look like. Winnipeg is very cosmopolitan, being half of the people I see around visible minorities; what about Saskatoon and Regina? Do they have a lot of immigrants or are they "whiter"?
For Regina:

Quote:
Racial diversity
"Caucasian": 85.7%
Aboriginal: 8.7%
Chinese: 1.3%
Other: 4.3%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Regina
Quote:
Visible minority population, by census metropolitan areas (2001 Census)

Total population 190,020

Total visible minority population 9,880
Black 1,580
South Asian 1,665
Chinese 2,370
Korean 225
Japanese 165
Southeast Asian 1,185
Filipino 1,010
Arab/West Asian 480
Latin American 800
Visible minority, not included elsewhere 185
Multiple visible minority 215

Source: Statistics Canada, Census of Population.
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo53d.htm
Last modified: 2005-01-25.
Quote:
Immigrant population by place of birth, by census metropolitan areas (2001 Census)

Total population 190,020

Total 14,015

United States 1,145

Central and South America 830

Caribbean and Bermuda 360

Europe 6,765
- United Kingdom 1,900
- Other Northern and Western Europe 1,820
- Eastern Europe 1,605
- Southern Europe 1,445

Africa 730

Asia 4,095
- West Central Asia and the Middle East 375
- Eastern Asia 1,140
- South East Asia 1,800
- Southern Asia 775
- Oceania and other 90

Source: Statistics Canada, Census of Population.
http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo35d.htm
Last modified: 2005-01-26
Note that Winnipeg is closer to

Quote:
Caucasian: 78.0%
Aboriginal: 8.6%

Total visible minority: 13.4%, as follows:
- Filipino: 4.9%
- South Asian: 2.0%
- Black: 1.9%
- Chinese: 1.8%
- Southeast Asian: 0.8%
- Latin American: 0.7%
- Japanese: 0.3%
- Korean: 0.2%
- Arab: 0.2%
- Other minority or multiple minorities: 0.6%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg

Last edited by governorgeneral; Jul 23, 2007 at 3:42 AM. Reason: Edited to add Winnipeg stats for context

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:01 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by governorgeneral View Post
For Regina:

Note that Winnipeg is closer to
is this only for permanent residents? Because there are definetely more than 1.8 % chinese and 2.0 % asian in Winnipeg.

-------------

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
is this only for permanent residents?
From StatsCan:

Quote:
The census enumerates everyone living in Canada. Included are Canadian citizens, both native-born and naturalized, landed immigrants and non-permanent residents and members of their families living with them in Canada.
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...collection.cfm
The actual numbers for Winnipeg were

Quote:
Visible Minority Status
Total population 610,450

Visible minority population (31) 81,915

Chinese 10,890
South Asian 12,165
Black 11,275
Filipino 29,995
Latin American 4,500
Southeast Asian 5,030
Arab 1,065
West Asian 815
Korean 945
Japanese 1,560
Visible minority, n.i.e (28) 1,960
Multiple visible minorities (29) 1,710
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/Prof...B1=All&Custom=

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:28 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
The actual numbers for Winnipeg were
according to this table (census 2001):

in Winnipeg 12.5 % of people are visible minorities, versus 5.2% of Regina, 2.2% Thunder Bay, 5.6% Saskatoon, 17.5% Calgary, 14.6% Edmonton, 8.9% Victoria, 13.6% Montreal, 36.9% Vanciuver, 14.1% Ottawa-Gatineau, 36.8% Toronto, 9.8% Hamilton.

By the way, I'm a non permanent resident and didn't partecipate to any census... i guess that's the most common case.

-------------

Last edited by spiritedenergy; Jul 23, 2007 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
according to this table (census 2001):

in Winnipeg 12.5 % of people are visible minorities, versus 5.2% of Regina.
Neat, that one has both cities right side by side, thanks! No idea why the numbers are different from the same census, but those %ages seem about right from what I picture of the "average streetscape" in either city.

Might depend on what part of town you're in though - does Winnipeg have communities like a "Chinatown", etc? That would skew what you might see. (Regina has a "Chinatown", but it's mostly aboriginal.)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 5:44 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Neat, that one has both cities right side by side, thanks! No idea why the numbers are different from the same census, but those %ages seem about right from what I picture of the "average streetscape" in either city.

Might depend on what part of town you're in though - does Winnipeg have communities like a "Chinatown", etc? That would skew what you might see. (Regina has a "Chinatown", but it's mostly aboriginal.)
yes but i doubt any chinese actually live in chinatown...

i mostly live in and around university of manitoba, pembina highway and downtown, and the percentage of visible minorities non aboriginal is huge to me; they are mostly students from UofM I guess, and in the UofM i bet almost half of the students are from Asia, the majority from China/Korea/Japan or whatever country with almond eyes.

i also take the bus, and probably the percantage of those minorities taking the bus is much higher than the actual.

-------------

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:19 PM

Quote:
yes but i doubt any chinese actually live in chinatown...

i mostly live in and around university of manitoba, pembina highway and downtown, and the percentage of visible minorities non aboriginal is huge to me; they are mostly students from UofM I guess, and in the UofM i bet almost half of the students are from Asia, the majority from China/Korea/Japan or whatever country with almond eyes.

i also take the bus, and probably the percantage of those minorities taking the bus is much higher than the actual.
from the numbers above, I would guess the Philipines

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
This thread is retarded. Obviously Saskatoon would be different without the U of S. Regina would be different if it were not the Capital. Blah blah blah.....

Currently Regina would need a HUGE boom to catch and surpass Saskatoon, could it happen? Maybe... who fu**ing knows! Who knew my house would double in price in less than a year. I believe current mentioned indicators (census, housing starts, GDP's ect.) all favour Saskatoon population wise. Show me something other than civic pride that favours Regina and I will gladly accept it.
So why is it any more retarded (I hate the way that work is abused, but that is my issue ) than talking about fantasy building which will never be built or arguing about parking lots or metal cladding, which are the hot topics elsewhere in these threads? It's just a discussion point and I think it has led to some interesting discussion. Don't read it, if it bothers you. Obviously the back an forth about "my city is better (bigger) than yours is pointless and silly, but it happens in most threads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan