HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 7:30 AM

Will Regina over-grow Saskatoon?

Since the population boom is occuring in both cities, do you think Regina's population and size will ever go past Saskatoon's?

--After all, we are the capital city

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:49 AM
BANNED

It isn't a boom, a small boom is 5% growth, Regina will not grow by 9,000 people this year. It is a speculator driven market that is unsustainable.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
Since the population boom is occuring in both cities, do you think Regina's population and size will ever go past Saskatoon's?

How soon you folks forget. As recently as the 80's, Regina was larger than Saskatoon in population.

Will it ever catch Saskatoon. Hopefully not!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post

Do ya think Victoria will ever catch up to Vancouver ? . I think it is unfortunate that Saskatchewan has two small cities instead of one medium sized one. Manitoba is a similar size to Saskatchewan, but Winnipeg has many more amenities and is more cosmopolitan than Saskatoon and Regina combined. Can't change history I guess, but I don't think it would do either city any harm, if the other outgrew it and became a more self sustaining size in the process. Victoria benefits greatly from the successes of Vancouver.

Last edited by psych1; Jul 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
It isn't a boom, a small boom is 5% growth, Regina will not grow by 9,000 people this year. It is a speculator driven market that is unsustainable.
You know, I think I agree with most of the points you make, but geez you sound like a carmudgeon Not that that is a bad thing

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych1 View Post
Do ya think Victoria will ever catch up to Vancouver ? . I think it is unfortunate that Saskatchewan has two small cities instead of one medium sized one. Manitoba is a similar size to Saskatchewan, but Winnipeg has many more amenities and is more cosmopolitan than Saskatoon and Regina combined. Can't change history I guess, but I don't think it would do either city any harm, if the other outgrew it and became a more self sustaining size in the process. Victoria benefits greatly from the successes of Vancouver.
Regina and Saskatoon are remarkably urban for their size, and in a unique class of their own in Canada. Does a much larger city like London Ontario really offer much more?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary View Post
Regina and Saskatoon are remarkably urban for their size, and in a unique class of their own in Canada. Does a much larger city like London Ontario really offer much more?

Good point, but I don't think London or other cities in the orbit of Toronto or any other metropolis are a good comparison, becasue their proximity to a giant city with every imaginable amenity means there is limited demand at home. I think Saskatoon and Regina benefit to a degree from thier isolation, ie. we have to make our own fun, but I think we suffer due to our relatively small size when compared to other isolated cities such as Winnipeg. For one thing, I don't think we offer as much of a draw for outsiders and it is very challenging to keep immigrants here once they realize the opportunities larger centres offer. I am not meaning to bash either Regina or Saskatoon, and I think both are becoming more cosmopolitan, but really, we are still pretty provincial. Outside of a few venues like these forums, I don't hear a lot of progressive thinking and often what passess for progressive is yesterday's news elsewhere. For heaven's sake, we are having the debates about recycling, transit and development that were happening elsewhere in the 1990s Sometimes the careful prairie approach is a good thing, but it can be stifling if there is no new blood coming in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 6:36 PM

I don't see why it couldn't happen some time in the future. Regina was the biggest city for several decades until it was passed by Saskatoon only about 20 years ago. And the two cities are still pretty much the same size.

I think Saskatoon will remain the largest for a while tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Um, 5% per year would not be considered a "small boom". In fact, a growth rate that high would be a massive infux of people, for any city. As of the 2006 Census, Calgary was growing at only 2.48% per year. I think you're confused with the 5 year population growths, which are released with the census.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych1 View Post
I know you were joking, but Regina and Saskatoon are relatively close in size. With Vancouver and Victoria we're talking a city of 600,000 compared to one of under 80,000. I don't think it's unfortunate at all that we have two smaller cities as opposed to one larger centre. A larger city may mean more amenities (though I think that's arguable...Regina and Saskatoon have plenty of amenities that larger centres have, albeit on a smaller scale.) What does Winnipeg actually have that Regina or Saskatoon don't? Bigger doesn't always mean better. I like that I can travel 2.5 hours to another city for a change of pace and can go back home whenever I want. If you're in Winnipeg and you just want to spend the weekend in a different city, try some new bars, go to a different art gallery, whatever...where is there to go that's close by? Brandon??

Both of Saskatchewan's major cities will continue to grow. Right now Saskatoon is slightly larger and growing a little faster. I think Regina's catching up, though. There are also number of communities in very close proximity to Regina which aren't included in the CMA. Many of those people work, shop and play in Regina. Both cities have strengths and weaknesses, and I think they complement eachother well. I don't see this becoming a situation like Alberta where much of the economy is (or at least was for a long time) centered around one city (ie Calgary). Right now there is still this idea out there that there is more opportunity in Saskatoon, there is more...whatever, I don't know what makes people think that it's "better" but you get where I'm going with this. There's still a stigma around Regina that I don't think will stick around. I think in the end it will come down to which city best handles it's growth because everyone's seen what's happened in cities like Calgary and that's what many of them are trying to get away from. Calgary is a city which grew too fast and couldn't keep up with itself. Regina and Saskatoon need to focus on sustainable growth. Plan ahead...but without going too crazy. You don't want to end up with tons of infrastructure, etc. but no people!

Last edited by BrannyMuffin; Jul 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
What does Winnipeg actually have that Regina or Saskatoon don't? Bigger doesn't always mean better. I like that I can travel 2.5 hours to another city for a change of pace and can go back home whenever I want. If you're in Winnipeg and you just want to spend the weekend in a different city, try some new bars, go to a different art gallery, whatever...where is there to go that's close by? Brandon??
When we want to leave Winnipeg and go to a different city for the weekend, we head south to Fargo. The city and surrounding area population is about 175,000 and it's only about a 3 hour drive. There's also Grand Forks which is about the same distance from Winnipeg as Brandon.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 9:22 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post

Both of Saskatchewan's major cities will continue to grow. Right now Saskatoon is slightly larger and growing a little faster. I think Regina's catching up, though. 4
Nope, according to the last census, Saskatoon's growth rate was more than double that of Regina's.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 9:29 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
Nope, according to the last census, Saskatoon's growth rate was more than double that of Regina's.
The last census also said Saskatchewan lost 10,000 people. I'm not saying what you are saying isn't true...but don't base it on the last census.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
The last census also said Saskatchewan lost 10,000 people. I'm not saying what you are saying isn't true...but don't base it on the last census.
Then what exactly should one base it on? The last census was 2006. A little over a year ago. Nothing else since then.

Should we go with Johnny on the street for the latest info? Or maybe pull numbers out of a hat or out of your a**!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Then what exactly should one base it on? The last census was 2006. A little over a year ago. Nothing else since then.

Should we go with Johnny on the street for the latest info? Or maybe pull numbers out of a hat or out of your a**!
You tell me.

The fact is that the 2006 census, which was actually released in March of 2007, not over a year ago, is inaccurate. Like I said it undercounted the population of Saskatchewan by 10,000 people and the data was gathered before ALbertans started to move here.

You can use the census as much as you like, but the truth is that it's not accurate.

Not sure why you are making personal attacks...I'm just trying to participate in the discussion...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
Calgarian

I don't think we'll see that happen in the forseeable future.

Things have perked up in Regina, that is true, but Saskatoon has a lot of momentum and has been stronger for most of the last 20 years.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post

There is a little thing about Regina, if things don't say what wants to be heard then it is false or wrong. This also happened with a Maclean's magazine article about Regina's slums. These census and slum deniers crack me up.

Last edited by Mayor Quimby; Jul 20, 2007 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:34 AM

Oh, I enjoy reading these forums are keeping up on what's happening back home, but I have to chime in on this one. I grew up in Stoon, went to Uni in Stoon, and lived in Regina for a few years afterwards (and ultimately had to move because the economy sucked 10 years ago), so I know both towns pretty well. Both cities are awesome, are similar in many ways, yet have some cool features that make them unique.

But let's get real. In the past 25 years, Saskatoon (city) has grown by about 70,000 (from 133 to 202), and Regina by about 30,000 (from 149 to 179). Want to talk CMA? Saskatoon grew by 100,000 (133 to 233, Stoon had no CMA in 81), Regina by 43 (151 to 194). And if you don't like the census numbers, quote me something more accurate. Yes, Regina is finally growing again, but Saskatoon has accelerated too. Look at the housing starts (Saskatoon was ahead by about 350 by the end of May), great indication of where people are moving and investing their money.

It all comes down to the local economy. Cities with industry like Saskatoon thrive in this economy. Government towns like Regina do well, but by nature, are more stable (read: slow growing). If the economy every goes tits up, Regina will weather the storm better that Stoon. But over the long run, private always beats government.

Let's just be glad both cities are growing again (finally!)!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:42 AM
Capitalist

I would probibly expect Saskatoon to remain the largest city in Saskatchewan, unless the provincal government goes on a massive hiring spree (which is always an option with the NDP). Regina relies of government.. and doesn't have the same level of private sector as Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I would probibly expect Saskatoon to remain the largest city in Saskatchewan, unless the provincal government goes on a massive hiring spree (which is always an option with the NDP). Regina relies of government.. and doesn't have the same level of private sector as Saskatoon.
I hate it when people claim that Regina is comepletely reliant on the government. Yes, there are a lot of government jobs, but its a capital city in an NDP province. What do you expect?

We don't rely on the government, People seem to forget that Regina has some of Saskatchewan's (and Canada's) largest private companies

Also, Saskatoon benefits more from being closer to all the northern mines. It's not like the people in Saskatoon are born fundamentally more capitalist

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
Oh, I enjoy reading these forums are keeping up on what's happening back home, but I have to chime in on this one. I grew up in Stoon, went to Uni in Stoon, and lived in Regina for a few years afterwards (and ultimately had to move because the economy sucked 10 years ago), so I know both towns pretty well. Both cities are awesome, are similar in many ways, yet have some cool features that make them unique.

But let's get real. In the past 25 years, Saskatoon (city) has grown by about 70,000 (from 133 to 202), and Regina by about 30,000 (from 149 to 179). Want to talk CMA? Saskatoon grew by 100,000 (133 to 233, Stoon had no CMA in 81), Regina by 43 (151 to 194). And if you don't like the census numbers, quote me something more accurate. Yes, Regina is finally growing again, but Saskatoon has accelerated too. Look at the housing starts (Saskatoon was ahead by about 350 by the end of May), great indication of where people are moving and investing their money.

It all comes down to the local economy. Cities with industry like Saskatoon thrive in this economy. Government towns like Regina do well, but by nature, are more stable (read: slow growing). If the economy every goes tits up, Regina will weather the storm better that Stoon. But over the long run, private always beats government.

Let's just be glad both cities are growing again (finally!)!
When I was talking about CMA's, I only meant that Saskatoon's covers a much larger area than Regina's...
http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepu...aps/regina.pdf
http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepu.../saskatoon.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan