HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
You guys may already be hip to this, but I just discovered the John Warkentin fonds at York University Archive. Page after page of jaw-dropping views. Something about the colours and quality of the film transported me. Posting a link to one photo of the north side of Market looking west from King Street. They're all good, really.

https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul.../market-square
He seemed to have a real knack for capturing buildings and homes that were about to be torn down. The fact that they are slides and not photos likely speaks to why the quality is so good.

If you haven't taken a look through the Henry Kalen fonds at U of M, they are also worth a look. He captured the modernist movement as it was emerging in the city.
https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...t/uofm%3Akalen

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:46 PM

https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul...r-avenue-docks

I thought the above was an interesting find within the John Warkentin fonds, the Suzanne-E at the Alexander Docks in Winnipeg. There doesn't seem to be many pictures of this small vessel and few people seem to know about it, even though it sunk in Lake Winnipeg in 1965 with nine lives (out of ten), making it the deadliest disaster in the lake's history. I've always thought that the story of the Suzanne-E could make for an interesting book or documentary film.

More information about the Suzanne-E:
https://www.redriverancestry.ca/SUZANNE-E.php

Short CBC documentary:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ne-e-1.3244948

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 9:47 PM
surely you agree with me

that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

Amazing to see Alexander Docks looking like an industrial shipyard.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the city spent all that money in 02 fixing it up only to abandon it

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
He seemed to have a real knack for capturing buildings and homes that were about to be torn down. The fact that they are slides and not photos likely speaks to why the quality is so good.

If you haven't taken a look through the Henry Kalen fonds at U of M, they are also worth a look. He captured the modernist movement as it was emerging in the city.
https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...t/uofm%3Akalen
I wasn't aware of Kalen either. Thanks for that.

oh, The Empire Hotel....
https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...uofm%3A1898217

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
I wasn't aware of Kalen either. Thanks for that.

oh, The Empire Hotel....
https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...uofm%3A1898217
Such a beautiful place, and such a waste of space now.

While we're in the archival rabbit hole, Kip Park wrote for the Real Estate News in the '80s and '90s and his archive is also available at U of M. It is a little more focused on industrial and construction ventures but is also interesting to go through from a recent historical perspective.

https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...ct/uofm%3Apark

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Such a beautiful place, and such a waste of space now.

While we're in the archival rabbit hole, Kip Park wrote for the Real Estate News in the '80s and '90s and his archive is also available at U of M. It is a little more focused on industrial and construction ventures but is also interesting to go through from a recent historical perspective.

https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...ct/uofm%3Apark
thanks! pretty interesting to see Portage Place and IG under construction. Glad he/she took some photos of the the Amy Street steam plant also

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Anyone know when the first Tim Hortons opened in Winnipeg? As a kid I only remember Robins and Coffee Time but not Tim’s. Not sure if they were around but my parents never went there.
Am also curious. My parents / grandparents only went to Robins primarily and I only started hearing about Tim Hortons must have been late 90s - was still in elementary school so didn't have a vested interest in caffeine yet. I did for donuts though and as such "Robin's Egg" is still like my go-to name for the donut hole style round ball shaped pastry (ie: "Timbits are just Tim Hortons version of Robin's Eggs")

For some reason I thought MMMmmmmmmuffins was way bigger than it really is. Thought they were everywhere but only one I can find proof of is the one in Winnipeg Sqaure lol

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
For some reason I thought MMMmmmmmmuffins was way bigger than it really is. Thought they were everywhere but only one I can find proof of is the one in Winnipeg Sqaure lol
It was in 201 Portage, not Winnipeg Square. Apparently there are only 2 left in all of Canada now, down from a peak of 130.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I did for donuts though and as such "Robin's Egg" is still like my go-to name for the donut hole style round ball shaped pastry (ie: "Timbits are just Tim Hortons version of Robin's Eggs")
These were just called "doughnut holes" when I was growing up in the boonies of Manitoba and I still refer to them that way. I accidentally ordered "6 donut holes" from the Tim Horton's on Henderson recently and they charged me for for 6 *donuts* at first. Uh no, this is just for me thanks...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow how did people not see the beauty this city had back then
late 50's

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:40 AM
surely you agree with me

^what am I looking at?!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^what am I looking at?!
I think your looking through the window of 135 Lombard looking West...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:45 AM

135 Lombard

[QUOTE=Labroco;8653690]I think your looking through the window of 135 Lombard looking West.

Richardson Bldg yet to be constructed across the street and the Hammond Building (now also demolished) can be seen on Main Street.

135 Lombard could have been designed by Libling Michener or Lloyd Finch or Smith Carter Searle... I’m not quite sure...

Last edited by Labroco; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:13 AM

Looks like the Woodbine Hotel right across the street on the left. Main street right? At the bend looking north before city hall? The garage across the way is still there, I think we're looking at their lot, which is kind of amazing after all these years, they're still there.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:57 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Looks like the Woodbine Hotel right across the street on the left. Main street right? At the bend looking north before city hall? The garage across the way is still there, I think we're looking at their lot, which is kind of amazing after all these years, they're still there.
No, that’s the Grange Hotel and the back of the Wheat Pool building (the old Merchants Bank) on the left. The Texaco is in the Grain Exchange parking lot next to the Annex building that was replaced with the faux-old parking garage about a decade ago. This is looking westward along Lombard as was pointed out.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Pic from inside the current Sigurdson Financial Building (friends of the family). It is a great office. Renovation designed by our friends at Number Ten I believe.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Pic from inside the current Sigurdson Financial Building (friends of the family). It is a great office. Renovation designed by our friends at Number Ten I believe.
It's a spectacular little building. Here's some more links with info/pictures:

Winnipeg Building Index

Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Winnipeg Downtown Places

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:38 PM
Formerly rypinion

Now that would be a depressing before & after for tv's twitter.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:13 PM

Such a spectacular golden light in that photo. And the loss of the Merchant's Bank (and the rest of that entire block between Lombard and Portage East) is massive. The Merchant's was the first tall building in the city built of steel. Even though it was only seven storeys, it still transcended the limits of load-bearing masonry walls and stairs, which in my books makes it the first 'skyscraper' in Winnipeg, pre-dating the Union Bank by a few years.

My great-great-grandfather had an office on the third floor shortly after he moved to Winnipeg in 1904.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan