HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 1:45 PM

I agree. Throw in a few more diamonds on 100/101 and removing as many traffic signals as possible.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:34 PM

Regarding MB MIT capital projects:

Your opinions please about ranking new projects.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 4:41 PM

My thoughts:

1. 100/3 diamond
2. 101/15/CNR parclo
3. 100/St. Mary’s diamond
4. 100/Route 90 cloverleaf
5. 1/16/CNR diamond
6. Headingly (1) bypass
7. 100/St. Anne’s diamond
8. 101/6 diamond
9. 101/Pipeline diamond
10. St. Norbert (75) bypass

This pretty much fixes the Perimeter with everything else closed or RIRO including Gunn Road.

11. 59N/202 diamond
12. 59N/213 diamond
13. 1E/207 diamond
14. Morris (75) bypass
15. Brandon (1W) bypass and diamonds (2-3)

Oh to dream.

Last edited by YWG-RO; Mar 30, 2018 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:47 PM

My list:

1. Headingley by-pass (HWY 1 relocation).
2. SFX interchange to marry the Headingley by-pass to the old HWY 1.
3. CentrePort Canada Way/HWY 6 full interchange -- needed for the truck traffic and its a shared provincial/city area.

AKA finish off at least one project first.

4. HWY 15/101 fly over with no access to 101 from 15.
5. HWY 15 relocation.
6. Interchange for new HWY 15/101 - also closes Gunn Rd.

Fixes the issues in the northeast before there is a traffic light every 2 KM like the south Perimeter.

7. Diamond for 101/Pipeline.

Fixes a dangerous section on the north Perimeter and further extends the section with no traffic lights. Also protects against the upcoming encroachment that will result in a new light between Pipeline and HWY 6.

8. Diamond for St Marys Rd.
9. Diamond for St Annes Rd.
10. Close all access to the Perimeter between 59S and HWY 1.

Fixes up a hot spot on the south Perimeter. Also protects future encroachments from Sage Creek and similar.

11. Interchange at HWY6/101.
12. HWY 6/CCW extension.
13. Close all remaining access points between HWY 1 west and 59N.

Further work on CentrePort roads. Also would make the Perimeter free flowing from Pembina in the south all the way around heading east to Roblin in the west.

That would then just leave the SW corner of the Perimeter to address from Pembina to Roblin. It also only builds eight interchanges/diamonds.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I haven't heard anything to suggest that the project is dead, but they sure are taking their sweet time with it considering it was announced in October 2007 (!). There are no signs of any actual construction on the site whatsoever.

Here is the project website with a few more details: http://1and16interchange.ca/
Bring up one from the dead here.

Did anybody save the functional design plans from this? Or is there some way to view archived pages or documents on the internets? I cant find any of this info.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Did anybody save the functional design plans from this? Or is there some way to view archived pages or documents on the internets? I cant find any of this info.
I did have the drawings for 1 & 16 and even for the two traffic lights through Brandon saved somewhere, but I would need to check. Any way for me to share files?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:14 PM

I'm pretty sure I have that stuff saved somewhere too. Probably on my old laptop.

You can post images, and maybe PDF's, using the little yellow 'insert image' function in the message entry window. Which you may know of already. You need to host the image on another site, such as imgur.

Or you could post a link to a file you have hosted somewhere else.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I have that stuff saved somewhere too. Probably on my old laptop.

You can post images, and maybe PDF's, using the little yellow 'insert image' function in the message entry window. Which you may know of already. You need to host the image on another site, such as imgur.

Or you could post a link to a file you have hosted somewhere else.
I guess I’ll have to use imgur then, and that’s if I know where I put it (either on my phone or on my laptop). Even then, I was never once able to directly show the image so you guys would need to click through the link.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:32 PM

Id be alright with that haha.

I remember the options. A trumpet and cloverleaf come to mind. I think the trumpet was the preferred option. It also included an overpass of the rail line to the north.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It turns out that I have only seen the design for the two interchanges through Brandon somewhere else.* Anyway, there's a report titled Introducing Western Canada Jurisdictions to VE - Manitoba and Saskatchewan by MMM Group from 2011. The 2 options for TCH & Yellowhead Highway interchange are shown on pages 19 & 22. Both redirect Trunk Road 305 to access TCH from another interchange down the road. Let me know if you can still find it.

* On the other hand, it did address select at-grade intersections of TCH by Moose Jaw.

Ps: I guess this will be the unofficial Prairies Highway Thread.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:38 PM

Ah that's right! There was a proposed industrial park too. Reasoning for the other interchange.
http://www.valueanalysis.ca/upload/c...%20to%20VE.pdf

I also remember the Brandon stuff. included like half interchanges at either end. With a new service road to the north along the backside of the current developments.

Also this value engineering stuff. It should just be called cost cutting. Always includes reducing scope. That's how they saved money.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Ah that's right! There was a proposed industrial park too. Reasoning for the other interchange.
http://www.valueanalysis.ca/upload/c...%20to%20VE.pdf

I also remember the Brandon stuff. included like half interchanges at either end. With a new service road to the north along the backside of the current developments.

Also this value engineering stuff. It should just be called cost cutting. Always includes reducing scope. That's how they saved money.
Sadly a friend of mine who briefly worked in an ON-401 widening project told me the same thing too, “The key is to build it cheap.”

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:

The internet archive remembers all

https://web.archive.org/web/20130816...nterchange.ca/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:53 PM
What could go wrong?

MIT is loosely looking at potentially bundling the Portage overpass reconstruction with a Hwy 1 & 16 interchange.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just curious, is anyone open to the idea of putting 2 giant roundabouts on TCH - one at Elie (Trunk Road 248) and one at Virdun (Trunk Road 257), in the meantime? The design simply needs to take into account the future addition of 2 overpasses over the roundabout.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks! I've never really looked into how that all works.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:45 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Just curious, is anyone open to the idea of putting 2 giant roundabouts on TCH - one at Elie (Trunk Road 248) and one at Virdun (Trunk Road 257), in the meantime? The design simply needs to take into account the future addition of 2 overpasses over the roundabout.
No point in doing that. Just save up the necessary $$ to do it properly. You build roundabouts now and they'll probably be there for decades because 'it's good enough'.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
No point in doing that. Just save up the necessary $$ to do it properly. You build roundabouts now and they'll probably be there for decades because 'it's good enough'.
Not saying it's the right approach, but Australia has roundabouts on their national highway system in some locations as opposed to interchanges. People seem to be fine with it there.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:28 PM

Roundabouts aren't a bad idea... sure you'd have to slow down, but it's already a reduced speed zone anyway, and at least you would no longer potentially be faced with a red light there.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Not saying it's the right approach, but Australia has roundabouts on their national highway system in some locations as opposed to interchanges. People seem to be fine with it there.
So does Ireland, trouble with roundabouts here is that no one knows how to use them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan