HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:01 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Six Things to Do at Yanaguana Garden
By Kathleen Petty; Photography By Sara Luna Ellis
San Antonio Magazine
October 2015
http://www.sanantoniomag.com/Online/...aguana-Garden/

Quote:
San Antonians are invited to help open their newest park this weekend as Hemisfair unveils the first section of its redevelopment in Yanaguana Garden. “It’s been a long time coming,” said Drew Hicks, communications manager for the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp., adding that work toward Yanaguana started in 2009. Mayor Ivy Taylor and other officials will be on site Saturday, Oct. 3, for a ribbon cutting, but there’s fun planned throughout the weekend to help locals break in the park.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:30 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

The Yanaguana Garden at Hemisfair Pairs Art with History and Play
By Mark Reagan
San Antonio Current
September 29, 2015

Quote:
A long time ago, before there was a Bexar County or the bustling metropolis called San Antonio — or even Texas — there was a blue panther that lived in a blue hole.

One day, a water bird flew into the hole where the panther lived.

"And the water bird shot out of the blue hole and opened its wings and the droplets from the blue hole fell across the land, which gave life to the area," said Ramon Vasquez, executive director of the nonprofit American Indians In Texas At the Spanish Colonial Missions.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 10:12 PM

Official ribbon cutting ceremony

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 8:46 PM

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:41 AM

I'm disappointed no one posted this yet ... but I guess y'all are busy having a _______ contest over the Frost height.

I'm very, very, VERY excited that Hemisfair is rolling on and taking shape!!

Quote:
AREA Real Estate chosen for Hemisfair's first multifamily development
Katie Burke
Reporter
San Antonio Business Journal

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/7942652/area*1200xx941-529-0-87.png[/IMG]

The park's first public-private partnership is slated for the 1.1 acres in the southwest quadrant of the 37-acre district near the recently opened Yanaguana Park. The [8-story] mixed-income complex will include 163-units and a 418-space parking garage that will lease 238 spaces back to Hemisfair for public use.

Read more: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-first.html#i1

Second story discussing the units being smaller/micro -
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...h-plan-to.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:56 AM
James

I hadn't heard about this. Thank you for posting! 8 stories is pretty tall for that corner.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 9:24 PM

A little more about this project

http://therivardreport.com/hemisfair...ial-developer/

“We don’t have a name yet, but we plan on a mix of studios and one and two-bedroom units, and we have a game plan for keeping the rents more affordable, a combination of smaller units and a commitment that 50% of the apartments will have income restrictions of 80% of area media income,” said David Adelman, the principal at AREA. “We are targeting a market at about $1,000 a month.”

AREA is known for its development of 1221 Broadway, its recent purchase of the historic Maverick building on East Houston Street and for bringing Tacoland back to life. It will break ground soon on a 305-unit multifamily project at 815 Avenue B.

A 2017 monthly rate of $1,000 a month would price the studio units well below what is available in most of the city’s new multifamily developments that have been built along the Broadway corridor and Museum Reach down through Southtown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:39 PM
James

http://therivardreport.com/area-real...ease-approved/

Quote:
Hemisfair Apartment Complex Deal Approved by City Council
San Antonio City Council unanimously approved a 45-year lease agreement between Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation and local developer AREA Real Estate on Thursday morning for a proposed 163-unit mixed-use apartment complex that will overlook Hemisfair’s multi-million dollar park transformation project.

The agreement allows the developer to start right away on more detailed plans for the building that will replace a surface parking lot on 1.1 acres, AREA principal David Adelman said after the vote. The project includes 180 parking spaces for tenants and 238 public spaces for park visitors and at least 3,200 square feet of street-level retail/restaurant space.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:55 AM

The architecture is real weird.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:49 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post
The architecture is real weird.
You're basing it off a very preliminary and very rough sketch.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You're basing it off a very preliminary and very rough sketch.
SKW!! Can you share with us the other sketches you're referencing!!???

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 10:28 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post
SKW!! Can you share with us the other sketches you're referencing!!???
The ones posted in Jaga's post.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The ones posted in Jaga's post.
Yeah that's weird, prelim or not. Kind of looks like a McDonald's Play Area. Don't get me wrong, construction is construction is...progress, but the fact that buildings like this get approved so quickly, and in a very prominent area no less, while other buildings with more inspiring architecture are shot down or "blanded" down is so frustrating. I know, broken record

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 8:56 PM

I wouldn't judge so quickly regarding the development. While I agree that the rendering looks plain; it is because it is a preliminary rendering. Meaning the building will be adjusted and the architecture should hopefully develop more as the development matures. The Hemisfair redevelopment team will play a major role in the final rendering of the building, so hopefully it ends up better. Im optimistic!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 12:42 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post
Yeah that's weird, prelim or not. Kind of looks like a McDonald's Play Area. Don't get me wrong, construction is construction is...progress, but the fact that buildings like this get approved so quickly, and in a very prominent area no less, while other buildings with more inspiring architecture are shot down or "blanded" down is so frustrating. I know, broken record
The development or multi family residential at this location has been approved. Nothing about this design has been approved. That's what the HDRC and OHP are for.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 5:57 PM
Paradise

The NRP Group, Zachary chosen for Hemisfair's next $165M public-private partnership
Quote:
Mar 14, 2016, 12:19pm CDT
Katie Burke

After narrowing in on the 11 responses it received, the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation has made the proposal submitted by Zachry and The NRP Group its top choice and will now take the next step toward finalizing the urban park's second public-private partnership.

The joint proposal from the two San Antonio firms would be to develop two parcels encompassing five acres in the northwest quadrant of the park — right at the corner of South Alamo and South Market — with the potential uses included new shops, restaurants and 380 residential units next to approximately nine acres of green space.

While it is avoiding any specifics, HPARC CEO Andres Andujar told me the proposal includes 800,000 gross square feet, which includes those residential units along with 75,000 square feet of retail; 70,000 square feet of office; a boutique hotel; and plenty of public parking.

The value of the mixed-use development would be $165 million.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...airs-next.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
The NRP Group, Zachary chosen for Hemisfair's next $165M public-private partnership

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...airs-next.html
Great news on some more new development!!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
According to the map above, is there going to be a road going through the where all the fountains are by the Tower. Are the fountains going away?
The fountains are a popular area for people. I get numerous request to do bridal, engagement, and quinceanera portraits by these fountains. You see how people reacted to the Hemisfair sign coming down, they are going to be if the fountains go too.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:55 PM
James

I think the fountains are going, but at least we are getting new fountains...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 2:01 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
According to the map above, is there going to be a road going through the where all the fountains are by the Tower. Are the fountains going away?
The fountains are a popular area for people. I get numerous request to do bridal, engagement, and quinceanera portraits by these fountains. You see how people reacted to the Hemisfair sign coming down, they are going to be if the fountains go too.
Model! You weren't supposed to say anything! I'm sure you remember most people weren't even aware of the arch coming down until it was posted on social media and the downtown blog.
As fountains go, I was never a fan of them for this city. During times of drought they get turned off and they look so sad, like we forgot to pay our bill. Or the algae foam would pile up so high they would envelope small children.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention Model! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio