HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 1:51 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

{SA} For the first time ever, Schlitterbahn will be open during the winter

Quote:

Schlitterbahn unwraps holiday plans

William Pack - Express-News

Schlitterbahn's watery wonderland in New Braunfels will take on a more frigid look this winter when it extends its season for the first time ever to host a Christmas-themed extravaganza.

It's called Schlitterbahn's Hill Country Christmas, offering visitors an ice-skating rink instead of a lagoon, a snow-covered hill for a toboggan run instead of a water slide, Christmas shopping areas and holiday shows. The park will be festooned with more than a million lights illuminating everything from a special display in the Comal River to a 250-foot-long, candy-cane tunnel at the end of the park.

“We're excited to create a new family tradition this holiday season,” General Manager Darren Hill said. “This new event truly captures the magic of Christmas morning every night.”

Schlitterbahn's Communications Director Jeffrey Siebert said the new program will be announced to the public this morning, which is also when tickets will go on sale.

Holiday events will be held in the evenings on the original portion of the 65-acre park beginning Nov. 28. They will run on weekends at first and daily from Dec. 19 through Jan. 4, except for Dec. 24-25.

It marks the first time in its nearly 30-year-old history that Schlitterbahn has been open beyond the summer season, which ends in September. The family-owned company is not releasing the cost of the programming, but Siebert said, “It's the most elaborate special event we've ever held.”

With the region growing and the economy forcing more people to stay close to home for vacations and holidays, the New Braunfels-based water park operator hopes the new event will become a successful family tradition.

“It's designed to be the Christmas event for the entire state,” Siebert said.

Other local theme parks already have Christmas schedules. Six Flags Fiesta Texas is planning another Holiday in the Park activity for the Christmas season this year, and SeaWorld San Antonio also will have an extended season that runs through December.

Schlitterbahn's plan impressed experts in the amusement park industry. They said many theme parks have added Christmas and Halloween activities, but few water parks have taken on programming during wintry seasons.

“I think this is really innovative, and I hope they find their audience,” said Tim Baldwin, a writer and archivist for Amusement Today magazine. “This shows great business sense, and it's great for the community.”

Dan Martin, vice president of Economics Research Associates/AECOM, said holiday activities at parks are often successful because holidays create additional free time for kids but don't always offer many activities. But holidays are shorter than other seasons and bad weather can make operations riskier.

“They really have to deliver,” Martin said.

The Schlitterbahn Christmas event will change the park's traditional feel with a holiday theme that includes ice skating, blowing snow, a Santa's workshop with animated light sculptures, an illuminated Nativity scene, carolers and other activities. The only water feature from the summer park to be included in the Christmas program will be a hot tub where guests can watch skaters.

“It's 180 degrees from where we traditionally are,” Siebert said.

Illustration (Click for larger PDF version)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:20 AM

Haha, I was let in on what was a secret during a band trip there in may. Apparently its out now.

The lights should be sweet, aswell as the characters. Schillterbahn is a pastime of mine

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:24 AM

I'm already trying to talk my wife into going there while we're in SA this Christmas. Shouldn't be too hard, women are suckers for ice skating, right?

Its kinda easy to take Schlitterbahn for granted, isn't it? Its such an asset to the metro, but I often forget its there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 2:41 PM

Thanks for posting this.
I have not yet visited Schlitterbahn or Six Flags. I don't go to many amusement parks when visiting my brother in TX, because he's handicapped and has difficulty with a lot of rides. However, these Christmas events sound like something he could really enjoy, too.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 3:51 PM
Bears of antiquity

Oh, FFS.

I'd like them to do that up here at Wild Waves.

"Come down I-5 to Wild Waves, Washington's Tackiest Tourist Trap! Ride the rusty toboggan down an equally rusty snow-filled slide! Skate on ice filled with gnats! Help us get that swimsuit out of that tree!"

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 8:25 PM
Squint Like Clint

Awesome news! I love Schlitterbahn and have been there many times. Now that it will open in the winter I'll have to drop by there during the holidays sometime when I'm down in SA visiting my dad.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 9:01 PM

It's about time this Schlitterbahn was open up during Winter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio