HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waldorf-Astoria in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:14 PM

Apparently, no one takes an exciting new announcement harder than a Chicagoan.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:14 PM

This is an amazing proposal. But I must echo 10023 sentiments. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Not only have we headed into the biggest housing slow-down in years (which is projected to last till 2009), but it does have the potential of negatively impact sales and confidence in the CS. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:19 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Comments:

Rendering? Initial thoughts: STUNNING. Can't wait to see more.

Rental tower: They're holding off. I hope the design is as stunning as the first.

Height: Tell me now! Bvic, any hints or de we have to wait a week

Economy: This building has a lot more hotel units than condos. As we all know tourism has increased dramatically in recent years. As STEELY said, people have been predicting the collaps of the boom for years now. It hasn't happend. We're all aware of jittery feelings aobut the market and memories of lost 2000'ers, but we need not be histerical about this project. Carley has learned form the Fordham Spire propsal. He's working with other people. The land is purchased. Hilton is behind it. Lets keep an optimistic tone unless there is actually reason to doubt the validity of this proposal.

At 100 stories...it'd be nice to see this one beat out Trump @ 1173'. I hope this further aggravates him.

Chicago Forever.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:19 PM

I think we, as crazy skyscraper people, tend to forget two things (I know i always do when i see a proposal like this)

1. When a building is proposed (especially a giant one such as this) they are not worried so much about current market conditions as they are concerned with making accurate forcasts. They are not competing against the buildings of 2007. They aren't even really competing against buildings of 2009. The market may be down a bit now, but things move so quickly that by this time next year, we could be laughing about all the panic of this year. Just think, in the past 15 years we have had a stock market boom & crash that makes the depression look like a blip, a real estate boom of incredible proportions, interest rates all over the place, a war to finance, emergence of global markets... 3-5 years from now, who knows?

2. The US population is growing enormously! Compared to other major countries, our rate of growth is huge. In a city that continues to be filled with imigrants (not that they are living in the spire or trump tower) housing needs to be built. If you consider that typical home prices in your upper-middle class are around 300-400k, for chicago to absorb these condominium buildings which offer similar prices is not that difficult to imagine. Our country's middle class is growing every year, if a fraction of those people chose to live in the city, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

oh yea, sweet ass design!

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:23 PM

Everyone here just needs to relax.

The damn thing hasn't even approved by the city.

You all are acting as if the sales center is opening tomorrow.

CHILL!!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Everyone here just needs to relax.

The damn thing hasn't even approved by the city.

You all are acting as if the sales center is opening tomorrow.

CHILL!!!
forget you victor...when are caissons being drilled?

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:28 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
The US population is growing enormously! Compared to other major countries, our rate of growth is huge. In a city that continues to be filled with imigrants (not that they are living in the spire or trump tower) housing needs to be built. If you consider that typical home prices in your upper-middle class are around 300-400k, for chicago to absorb these condominium buildings which offer similar prices is not that difficult to imagine. Our country's middle class is growing every year, if a fraction of those people chose to live in the city, there shouldn't be much of a problem.
Great point.

I'm a big fan of the "If you build it, they will come philosophy" Families get richer, they look to move up in the world. They make room at the bottom for new guys to come in. Thats how this whole system is supposed to work. Its very clear something amazing is going on in Chicago. I think it will pull through. *insert Burnham quote*

However, I'd really like to see the towers combined... Going to happen, likely no, but I'd like to see Sears topped...again (North of the River)

also: WHY IS THIS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE SPIRE! How can we hide supertalls? Carley should but the little tower by the River and the big guy by River East Center so we can see it from the lake.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Great point.

I'm a big fan of the "If you build it, they will come philosophy" Families get richer, they look to move up in the world. They make room at the bottom for new guys to come in. Thats how this whole system is supposed to work. Its very clear something amazing is going on in Chicago. I think it will pull through. *insert Burnham quote*

However, I'd really like to see the towers combined... Going to happen, likely no, but I'd like to see Sears topped...again (North of the River)

also: WHY IS THIS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE SPIRE! How can we hide supertalls? Carley should but the little tower by the River and the big guy by River East Center so we can see it from the lake.
Carley sold the northern part of the property to another developer (Hanover)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:50 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Carley sold the northern part of the property to another developer (Hanover)
So, Carley is not in charge of the Northern part (and its rental tower) then?

Still...I would have preferred the bigger tower on the norther part of the lot. I guess those river views...from a block away...mean a lot.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:55 PM

What the hell is going on in Chicago?????

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:12 PM
Future God

Holy shit.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:15 PM

so, thats 3 U/C supertalls (Waterview/TTC/CS), this 100 story-proposal, Wolf-Point proposal (hmm, no news about tis one for quite a while?), the growing southern skyline, with plenty of 700-900 prouting about prop/app/UC.

WOW!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:15 PM
Go Pens!

Sweet.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Could this be Carley's revenge? Announced the day after the big Spire PR session. Oh Chicago..you rascal.. setting up a competition between all of the Starchitects/developers.
I wonder what Trump will do???

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2020 View Post
I wonder what Trump will do???
Be completely overshadowed?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:18 PM

damn!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:42 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

This might put this into perspective for everyone...especially those not famialiar with the BOOM rundown thread.

Propsals in Blue
U/C in Green
Built Boomers in (darker) Green
Important Oldtimers in Black/White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Be completely overshadowed?
...oh wait.

Last edited by Alliance; Sep 27, 2007 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:45 PM
BANNED

You forgot the parkview east tower! Also, you didn't label the Fairbanks, that's a boomer as well!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:02 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Forgot what?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:03 PM
I love boxes.

Chicago Goes Again !!!!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive